What's new

Dreamcast Emulation

luminitis

For Dreamcast games i know you need a program (like alcohol 120%) to mount the image i have recently got Virtual On Cybertroops and it comes with the .mds and .mdf file. After i mount the image how do i emulate the game for play?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Open Chankast, configure the CD-ROM plugin so that it points tothe correct drive and then run the game.

OP
L

luminitis

Thanks for the help again Agozer.

I see theres a lot of utilities on this site for Chankast, do you recommend any of those also where can i go to download the main program?

OP
L

luminitis

I found the download for the program, do you recommend any of the utilities listed on the forum. I want to try net play.

OP
L

luminitis

i just tried it and it gave an error staying "cant read TOC from g: drive" am i doing something wrong?

Agozer

Switch to the xxx plugin. Windows XP doesn't support ASPI without ASPI drivers.

Chankast has no netplay btw.

OP
L

luminitis

Well i have got the emulator running sort of. I got the dc_bios and dc_flash bin files in there and i click 'run' and it does the dreamcast loading screen but then goes back to the options menu (where the memory card manage etc is). Another game i try loads the screen the freezes the emulator.
Any help on this?

To re-ask: Basics i need for emulation are the Emulator, an ISO of the game, Alcohol 120 to mount the image and click 'Play' in emulator to start playing, correct?

Agozer

To re-ask: Basics i need for emulation are the Emulator, an ISO of the game, Alcohol 120 to mount the image and click 'Play' in emulator to start playing, correct?
Yes.

Just make sure that Chankast tries to read from the right drive. If you try to run Chankast without a CD image mounted and read from the correct drive, the the Dreamcast BIOS menu boots up instead.

OP
L

luminitis

Aye i made sure that it was checking the mounted drive (G).

The files i have are:
335 Virtual On Cybertroopers (U) (MDF file) (Mounted image)
335 Virtual On Cybertroopers (U) (MDS file)
Are those the only two files i need to have?

Would haveing the MDF and MDS files have any effect on if it playes or not?

Agozer

Yes, those two files you need. MDF is the CD image, MDS is the information file that is used to describe the properties of the CD image file.

The format the CD image is in usually shouldn't matter, but there have been a few reports that people have had to convert their discs from one image to another. I've never had to do this though.

OP
L

luminitis

Ive tried more then one DC iso to play, from different sites, to make sure its not a bad load but ive done what people have said and no luck.