What's new

Zelda: OoT on i915 glitchy

Xilon

I searched through the forums but couldn't see any threads dealing with these glitches specifically.

The most annoying one is that I can't see certain things; vines (in the Deku Tree), webs, paths (Hyrule field). These mostly use transparency, so I think it's related to that, though a bunch of transparent things work fine.
(In the second screen you can see webs. This is the first time I saw webs in the game - in the Deku Tree they were invisible)

Another glitch, also related to transparency, is that transparency masks (I think that's what they're called) seem to be inverse. When you have a tree for instance, the leaves are transparent but the rest of the tree is solid. I can live with this though.

I'm running Mupen64 0.5 on Archlinux, using the i915 Xorg driver (for my 945GM/GMS/940GML, not quite sure which - that's what lspci gives, this is a first-gen Macbook 2.0ghz).
I'm using glN64 v0.4.1 for the graphics, I can't seem to be able to set Rice's up properly, the graphics with it are unbearable. jttL's SDL audio plugin, Blight's SDL input plugin and Hacktarux/Azimer hle rsp plugin.

There are also other minor issues like having a long delay (3-5s) when opening the start menu, during which only a black screen is visible, this may be the game itself though. Another thing is that Mupen64 consistently crashes when after stopping emulation I try to start it again. Zelda also freezes sometimes.

I'm currently trying to find "the running man" to sell the bunny hood, but my guess is that I simply can't see him either, lol.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Intel's graphics chips are, in a word, horrible so it's no surprise that you get those problems. They are known to be very poor for emulation.

I don't know about Mupen but the status menu delay has been more or less fixed in other emulators. :/

Last edited:

Vboy

EmuCrazy
That's an old version. You can get 0.4.1 at zophar. Or if that has trouble use any of Jabo's plugins. One way I've gotten rice to have average results is either by switching the rendering device to openGL or with directX running Limited stage combiners 3 or 4.

Edit: Sorry Agozer, we were posting at the same time, and I guess you beat me ;)

OP
X

Xilon

I was thinking it was the graphics card but I was hoping it wasn't ;)

I remember playing Zelda perfectly on my old GeForce 2 MX 400, and since that's such an old card I thought Intel's would be somewhere on the same level or better, I guess I was wrong.

Vboy said:
You can get 0.4.1 at zophar.
Oops, typo. It's v0.4.1, don't know why I misplaced the 1 :p.
Vboy said:
One way I've gotten rice to have average results is either by switching the rendering device to openGL or with directX running Limited stage combiners 3 or 4.
I don't see any options for Limited stage combiners in the config, and uhh... there's no DirectX under Linux :p.

I guess I'm stuck with the crappy transparency then? Hmm, I might try looking for the running man on another PC...

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Yes, even very low-end graphics cards outperform Intel's chips in some cases.