What's new

Controller Analog Low sensitivity zone too small

Littlealx

Hey everyone

I'm hoping that somebody has an answer to this unusual problem or else i'm buggered.

I'm playing Zelda OOT.

Basically you move with the analog, then press a button and you aim with the analog.

The issue is both with moving around and especially aiming....

If i move the analog about 6%, there is very slow movement which is good. Any more than about 6%, then it goes straight to 100% speed.

This is a big problem because... well, try aiming (in a fight) by making small adjustments to the controller like 6%. It's impossible. I need to increase it to something more suitible, like 40 or 50%, that way its possible to aim carefully.

So basically i need the "Low response" zone to be bigger, but i can't find any plugins that have this option. Does anybody know any solutions? Thanks!

(PS: i can't just lower the sensitivity. If i lower the sensitivity, since i move around the game with the analog, i can only move at 40% speed!)

psyren

Hey Littelalx,

I happen to be playing the same game right now and ran into the same problem.

To get around this using the default plugin (Jabo's DirectInput7 1.6), I leave the analog stick range set to 70-90% for general play/movement.

When those times come that you need to have the precise aiming, go to the options and set this down to about 30% and it works fine.

As you said though, you can't leave it like this or you can hardly move! :) It does distract away from the game experience this way having to adjust the controls in the middle of things, but it's the only way I know of. Fortunately, Ocarina of Time doesn't have any places (I hope!) where both speed and precision aiming are needed at the same time.

N-Rage's Direct-Input8V22.00b has a setting to bind a key that will alternate between keyboard and mouse for aiming, with both at different rates. This might work better if you could get the rest of the controls configured to work comfortably. I haven't bothered to try figuring it out though.

I'm worried about Banjo-Kazooie where I do need to move both precisely (along narrow walkways) and quickly (against a timer) so I don't know if that will ever be possible without an actual joystick.