What's new

need help emulating OoT

nunya_business

I want to play Ocarina of Time on Project 64 1.6, using Jabo's plugin which used to work perfectly, and now I have a number of problems with the rendering. The ground is blue, and Link's clothes are white. The Game FAQ says that my video card doesn't support the required blend mode, even though Majora's Mask renders perfectly!! :(

I am using a Nvidia GeForce MX 4000 with DirectX 9.0c. Does anyone know a way to fix this?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Well, you can use another plugin. Jabo's 1.5.2 and Orkin's gln64 are simple to configure will probably work fine for you with Zelda. :)

OP
N

nunya_business

Well, you can use another plugin. Jabo's 1.5.2 and Orkin's gln64 are simple to configure will probably work fine for you with Zelda. :)

I've tried 'em all. Some, like z64gl and Direct64, crash the emulator. Glide 64, using zeckensack's Glide wrapper, gives me a black screen in the emulation window. All versions of Jabo's plugin have the same blend problems as 1.6. GLN64 has worked better than Jabo's, but has a number of obnoxious bugs of its own which I don't think can be fixed without buying a new video card.

If anyone has a nvidia card and can tell me how to change the blend mode it would be appreciated. I can't find it in the nvidia control panel...

Clements

As much as the MX series are incredibly bad, I was able to get almost no errors with Zelda and a GeForce 4 MX 440 back in the day. Graphics drivers are the key here - try using some in the 4x.xx range if you are using newer drivers. Blend modes are merely a feature of a graphics card, rather than a selectable option - with a good driver, it should work.

Plugin-wise, glN64(), Jabo's D3D6 1.5.2 and possibly Rice's Video are the best bets, with glN64() being the best for your particular graphics card.

Direct64, Jabo's D3D8 1.6, Glide64 with Hacktarux's wrapper and the z64 plugin require features that the MX 4000 does not have (e.g. Pixel shaders), so are bound to either not work at all or show errors. You will need a new video card with an adequate feature set to use these.

Last edited:
OP
N

nunya_business

Graphics drivers are the key here - try using some in the 4x.xx range if you are using newer drivers. Blend modes are merely a feature of a graphics card, rather than a selectable option - with a good driver, it should work.

Good idea; I think I remember updating my driver when Zelda stopped working properly with that plugin, now that you say it (this happened a very long time ago). :)

I'll go look for older Nvidia drivers right now!!

EDIT: I've installed ForceWare 53.04 onto my PC, and Zelda emulates perfectly!! :bouncy:

Thanks for that bit of advice Clements!

Last edited: