What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

"Texture Packs" Format ?

Toasty

Sony battery
Those are hi-res (not original) textures and they're identical. :huh: I was kinda hoping to see a few original samples ripped from a game using both plugins - so I can see the inconsistencies between the ways the two plugins rip textures. Sorry if I wasn't clear before. (If forum rules prohibit posting a few samples from a copyrighted game I can try and dig up a good PD ROM for you to use.)

mudlord

Banned
was kinda hoping to see a few original samples ripped from a game using both plugins - so I can see the inconsistencies between the ways the two plugins rip textures. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

Its okay, I'll gladly rip a few original textures from various games (I know SSB uses pretty funky texture dimensions).....

Toasty

Sony battery
Here's an example of the differences between the two plugins. The first is Jabo's, the second is Rice's.
Ah, but Rice's plugin dumps alpha to a separate file. If the alpha information were combined with the latter image, wouldn't it be identical to the Jabo-ripped one? I hope I don't come across as being stubborn or disagreeable - I really do appreciate the time you guys are taking to explain all of this.

Mollymutt

I don't know anything about any of this, just that there are major differences between how the two dump textures. All of the other stuff you guys have been talking about is Greek to me.

Iconoclast

Only check the png_all and ci_by_png folders for textures dumped by Rice's Video Plugin, unless you hate the alpha channel. These folders contain all the textures you need otherwise.

Alpha, for those who don't know, is another word for 'opacity', which is the opposite of transparency. You know, opaque, transparent, semitransparent...the term translucent isn't used in computer graphics I don't think but yeah you get the point.

Mollymutt

God, I hate to sound noobish, but how do you get texture packs to load in 1.7? I right clicked on the rom in the browser, went to select texture pack, but it says no texture pack available.

mudlord

Banned
Texture packs for Jabo's plugin need to adhere to the guidelines in the official 1.7 beta section. That is:

* They need to be zipped (helps if no ZIP/ZLIB compression is used on the PNGs)
* They need to be tagged with a specially formatted "pack.xml" XML document
* The textures need to be ripped with Jabo's plugin (duh!)

Of course, I cannot leak the whole info, but I think that's the basics of things. If you need to know more, I think asking Jabo would be a excellent place to start. Since your into retexturing, who knows........:whistling

The retex scene for Jabo's plugin is quite inactive it seems :(.....

Iconoclast

Well, I tried throwing in my own texture pak, and now I know why they didn't accept it. :D

XML, I personally say, the hell with. Those standards can byte (I was going to edit this post to say, 'bite', but on second thought...:D.) my ass; I'll write my HTML how I want, silly excessive text. Last language I ever plan on learning for now.

And no, they were originally dumped by Rice's, but I modified them with ArtIcons anyway. File name should still be MD5.

mudlord

Banned
Well, I tried throwing in my own texture pak, and now I know why they didn't accept it.

XML, I personally say, the hell with. Those standards can byte (I was going to edit this post to say, 'bite', but on second thought....) my ass; I'll write my HTML how I want, silly excessive text. Last language I ever plan on learning for now.

And no, they were originally dumped by Rice's, but I modified them with ArtIcons anyway. File name should still be MD5.

Hehehehe, no wonder they wont load, textures must be 100% identical to Jabo's, and conform to his texture format specs.