What's new

How to deadlock Mupen64

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
1) Open Mario Kart 64 (U) [!].rom in a hex editor.
2) Go to 88CF60. Change the 06 to 00.
3) Load the game, go to Time Trial, and select Mario Raceway.

The game freezes, and after a few seconds, emulation is paused and Mupen64's main window loses focus and becomes disabled. By clicking the taskbar button a few times you can get it back, but it's frozen, all you can do is terminate it.

I'm using WinXP SP2, Direct64 v0.5.03.25, Direct-Input8 V2 1.28a, No Sound, Hacktarux/Azimer HLE RSP Plugin. Alert Saves Errors is on, CPU Core is Dynamic Recompiler, Pause When Inactive is on, and it's in windowed (not fullscreen) mode.

Seems there should be an error message popping up somewhere. It should be possible to at least stop or reset the game.

[edit] Looks like none of Mupen64's error messages are popping up. I did it again in a more complex manner, and it played the critical error sound.

Last edited:

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
In options->settings->advanced settings, disable "Pause emulation when window is not active"

OP
HyperHacker

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
Thanks. That option has another bug too: if you pause the emulator and switch windows, it unpauses when you switch back.

I'm also seeing a bug in this ROM (unedited copy, doesn't say "bad dump" in the status bar) that I don't see in other emulators. After I finish Moo Moo Farm or Koopa Troopa Beach in 1-player Mario GP mode, the screen blacks out just before it goes to the 2-camera/score display. The game still runs though, and comes back to normal if you just keep hitting A to start the next race.