What's new

Majora's Mask Glitches

TheNascent

I literally made a list of every possible configuration setting, tryed every possible combination, and none of them resolve the issues.

The issues: When I use the Ocarina, succesfully playing a song has no reffect. When I am wearing the Deku mask and transformed as a Deku, the Deku Pipes do not move in response to the music. You know how when you have them out, and you play a note, a specirfic pipe moves in repsonse? This does not occur.
When I play the scarecrow song, the guy does not appear. When I play the song of time, the game does not play the cut sequence, and I am not given the option to save the game, or to go back to the first day. Needless to say, this makes completing the game impossible.
If I talk to the Deku king afte rescuing his daughter, the game freezes. The only way to escape is to Ctr+Alt+Delete. When this freezing occurs, the frozen Project64 window prevents me from seeing anything else. If I haven't already set the task manager to the Programs tab, I must press the computer's off button to escape.
Also, when I go into the START menu, and select a song, the song plays. When the notes gray out, and I play the song, they correctly light up again to show me that I played the song correctly. Outside of the START menu, the only thing that happens when I play is that I hear the notes. The game does not sense that I have completed the song, and the Deku Pipes do not repond to the notes.

I have a 2 gig Athalon processor, 32-bit
Windows Home Edition
I am an administartor
1 gig ram
ATI Radeon X-300 PCI-Express video card

I have tried setting all the settings before emulation and it windowed as well as fullscreen mode.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

I am using the later PJ64 build available to non-contributors, with the default plugins, (I have not tested the Rice plugin.) except for the controller plugin. I'm using the adaptoid controller plugin.

I have tried restrating the computer and whatnot.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
The adaptoid controller plug in MIGHT be your problem. I had this problem (minus the game locking PJ64) with Ocarina of time while I was using the N-Rage plug in.

My problem was because I was trying to assign multiple buttons to the same controller effect (I was trying to make the game playable with the keyboard and the mouse ala Diablo style) and it only went away when I reset the control settings and came up with a different configuration.

For you, unless you are actually using a real adaptoid and N64 controller, I'd recommend using either the N-Rage plug in (works fine if you don't goof up the settings like I did) or use the default plug in for controllers.

Also, I recommend clearing the entries out of your registry (instructions are in the forum, I can't remember where. They're also in the Help file built into PJ64), uninstall PJ64, and then reinstall from scratch. Then use the update files and new database... this SHOULD clear up the problem. It did for me. Then again, this was in Ocarina of time, NOT Majora's Mask. Though none of my notes played activated a song until I did the above.

Good luck.

OP
T

TheNascent

I realize now that I was using the N-gage controller pluging all along.

It's very weird. I played for a long time before the glitch came up. However, the glitch is now gone. There are two things that might be responsible for it:

I went into the NGage settings (I never thought to alter the controller settings till AFTER my post. I never thought they would cause such unrelated glitches.) and set the controller pack to "mem pack" and "raw "data". I knew this would conflict with Project64's handling of the save functions.

I got an error, it cashed and I reset, changed back to the functional setting, and it worked.

The only problem is that I also tried copying my save file (in game) onto another file, playing them both, and then deleting the second save file.

I'm not sure which or either of these contributed to the glitch going away. I have no idea with triggered it.

As of yet, I have not redone the Forest boss (the cutscenes with the princess are killer frustratingly long), so I do not know if the game will still freeze and the deku king.

Thanks for the response. It probably was something to do with the controller settings.

Also, does anyone know why checking "Match game aspect ration to yours" make certain objects disappear?

Tre

Oops. Died again.
I thought it was the controller settings... and knowing that it was the N-Rage plugin you were using... makes sense now. HOPEFULLY it won't keep giving you troubles.

The songs work now, right? You might want to try this trick out... since you can beat the boss easily enough, why not beat the boss and collect the remains, and then save your game with the song of time? Then just return to Woodfall with your Song of soaring and stand on the warp icon at the start of the dungeon so you can re-beat the boss. This way IF the game crashes anyway, you can at least try to make the save work and save the princess (you can do this an infinite number of times after returning to the first day, same cutscenes and all).

Hope that's of help.

OP
T

TheNascent

That's really smart ^_^ If I ever start playing Majora's Mask again (sadly that is highly likely) I will give that a shot.

The music works but last I checked, talking to the Deku King after rescuing the Princess crashes the game. It does not crash the game if I talk to him at any point before. Or if I save and talk to him again. (I am assuming because the Princes resets, that he does as well.)

Thankyou again for all your help. I would NEVER have guessed the controller would generate errors like that.