What's new

Geforce 4 MX440 ????????

rob64

Banned
I will be soon perchasing a Geforce 4 MX440 and I was wanting to know will it be compatable with 1964 and Project 64

ROB64::devil:

sk8bloke22

roll for life
highly compatible. its just a beefed up geforce 2mx from wat ive heard. any newish NVIDIA card will be perfect for them.

Slougi

Well, a GF3Ti200 has more features but is slower. Overall I would choose a gf3ti200 though, because of the vertex and pixel shaders. However if u need dualhead a gf4mx might actually not be such a bad buy.

Slougi

any gf3 delivers performance which is satisfactory for current games. And there is 1% difference between 128MB and 64MB cards, it's not worth the extra money imo.

Josep

eyerun4phun
Slougi said:
any gf3 delivers performance which is satisfactory for current games. And there is 1% difference between 128MB and 64MB cards, it's not worth the extra money imo.

dear god i hope you mean in just pj64, CAUSE DAMN, doubling memory in video=:inlove: SWEET!!!:) in any respect;)

Seta-San

dont' worry

I have a Geforce4 MX 420 and it is just fine. You get a lot of speed for the dollar. You have all the driver features of all the other geforce cards because all the cards use the same drivers. I'd highly recommend it unless you have enough to spend $400 on a Geforce 4 TI ***** I don't i know that. Any way it's a good card. Plus the Memory Archetecture II(2) can be up to 5x the speed of any geforce 2 mx's speed. :)

Cyberman

Josep said:

dear god i hope you mean in just pj64, CAUSE DAMN, doubling memory in video=:inlove: SWEET!!!:) in any respect;)

Umm.. how can I say this so it won't seem insulting?
No.. not really not at all?

The problem is that 128MB 256 bit wide bus... see there it is.
The GeeForce cards are VERY bandwidth limited and have some serious flaws when you have a highly detailed image (polygons we'll call it). Now they 'jingle' magic numbers a lot and the numbers they give you are kind of flawed sadly. Since the reality is they are a just a bit better than a Kyro in terms of performance.

Because GF's use a BFI method (commonly called brute force but ignorant) they can do lots of cool stuff in a short amount of time except the bus gets in the way. RAMBUS would be better for GeeForce cards to get better performace. Rambus is too expensive though. This is why they've been pushing the DDR bus as hard as they can for more speed.
128M will not help you any in that respect. it just means it might improve things that use lots of textures some. Some. :)

Cyb

Slougi

Cyberman said:
Because GF's use a BFI method (commonly called brute force but ignorant) they can do lots of cool stuff in a short amount of time except the bus gets in the way. RAMBUS would be better for GeeForce cards to get better performace. Rambus is too expensive though. This is why they've been pushing the DDR bus as hard as they can for more speed.
128M will not help you any in that respect. it just means it might improve things that use lots of textures some. Some. :)
Actually Rambus is not very well suited to vid cards because of the high latency. So when u need to access a mem segment, it takes longer on rambus than on ddr, but the rambus transfer rate is higher, which counters this to some degree.
Rambus works better on P4 systems because in general there is no need for high burst speed, but rather for a continous flow of data to keep the pipelines filled.
And I agree that nvidia cards in general are bandwidth limited, even the change from 32 MB to 64 MB didn't change all that much.

Cyberman

Slougi said:

Actually Rambus is not very well suited to vid cards because of the high latency. So when u need to access a mem segment, it takes longer on rambus than on ddr, but the rambus transfer rate is higher, which counters this to some degree.
Rambus works better on P4 systems because in general there is no need for high burst speed, but rather for a continous flow of data to keep the pipelines filled.
And I agree that nvidia cards in general are bandwidth limited, even the change from 32 MB to 64 MB didn't change all that much.

Sadly I think the only thing faster is SIGMA or ZBT ram.. RAM BUS is good for line based rendering too (see continous flow of data). Making the next generation high performance graphics cards in the PC arena is going to be a PITA. There is nothing that really distinguishes products (Save your DAC on your card now ;) ).

The problem isn't bus even (AGP 8X and PXI-X are both plenty fast NGIO is even faster 32 bits at 3.2ghz each). The big problem is getting the data in and out of the graphics processor :)

Sadly Kyro's drivers SUCK. Thus the fate of the kryo (see dream cast with a lot more juice) is obscurity I think.

Cyb

yogaman

Banned
okay, since this topic is bout graphics card ... can somebody help me out and tell me which of these is worth its money? (a cheap but "very" good card)

GeForce2™ MX 400 Video Card, AGP, 64MB 30001152 $109.29 48 Hours Add to Cart N/A
GeForce2™ MX 400 Video Card, PCI, 64MB 30001153 $109.29 2 - 5 Days Add to Cart N/A
GeForce2™ MX200 Video Card, PCI, 32MB 30001156 $59.99 2 - 5 Days Add to Cart Check
Xtasy 5864™ GeForce2™TI Video Card, AGP, 64MB 30000023 $163.93 2 - 5 Days Add to Cart N/A
Xtasy 6964™ GeForce3™ Ti 500 Video Card, AGP, 64MB 30000025 $289.18 2 - 5 Days Add to Cart N/A
Xtasy GeForce4 MX 420 Video Card, PCI, 64MB 30001523 $119.99 48 Hours Add to Cart Check
Xtasy GeForce4 Ti 4400 Video Card 30001524 $299.99 48 Hours Add to Cart Check
Xtasy GeForce4™ MX 420 Video Card, AGP, 64MB SDR 30001521 $119.99 2 - 5 Days Add to Cart Check
Xtasy GeForce4™ MX 440 Video Card, AGP. 64MB DDR 30001520 $149.99 2 - 5 Days Add to Cart Check
Xtasy GeForce4™ Ti 4600 Video Card, AGP, 128MB DDR A30001522 $399.99 48 Hours Add to Cart Check

or are there cheaper&better cards around??

Slougi

The big problem is getting the data in and out of the graphics processor
Exactly :)
EDRam might be an option, or that mysterious BitBoys XBA mem thing.
Another way is to make cards based on the kyro technique, as you said. Imagine a card with DDR-2 memory @ 400Mhz (800Mhz DDR) and tile based rendering with a fast gfx chip :D

[Edit]
Also supposedly the Kyro 3 chip design is finished, but there are some trouble manufacturing it. Mybe they are waiting for th 0.13 manufactoring process to become more common?
[/Edit]

crhylove

Banned
yogaman....

where did you get that pricelist? that is LUDICROUS. go to pricewatch.com. for $486 i'll sell you an athlon 950 with a gerforce 2 mx 200 IN it, all the trimmings (20gb, 128mb, LAN, 56k, 52x cd, etc.) and those people want $100 for a geforce 2 mx 400? that is WAY 2 high, as prices stand right now to us resellers.

if you have over $100 to spend, spring for the cheapest geforce 3 TI. that card will rock everybody's world.

/me waits for doom 3, how the hell am i supposed to REALLY compare these new gfx cards?!?

rhy