Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

N64 64bit Port of TR64

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is any intrest in me porting TR64 to run as a 64bit application?

I ask this because I have upgraded my computer to an AMD64 cpu and have WinXP-64bit.

Cheers!

Icepir8
    Last edited by icepir8; May 17th, 2007 at 18:57.

"Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." -- author unknown

• Advertising

advertising
      EmuTalk.net
      has no influence
      on the ads that
      are displayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I guess it's always interesting as long as the result of effort/improvements is balanced.

Pardon my ignorance but, what benefits would it have porting it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe none. But it should be easier to impliment the 64bit mode of the MIPS chip. Also I would make the memory management easier.

Cheers!

Icepir8

"Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." -- author unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would be! I'd be more interested in you porting it to Linux ... But I have a Core 2 Quad, and anything x64 is good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say go for it, if 64-bit is the future of processors the interest and the development is what has me curious.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes! But can you also port it to Linux? I currently run Ubuntu 64 bit so I need both a 64 bit and a Linux version. I compiled Mupen64 but have been unable to compile the plugins needed to play ROMs. Perhaps you would be able to provide a working Linux 64 bit version with 64 bit plugins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Yes! But can you also port it to Linux? I currently run Ubuntu 64 bit so I need both a 64 bit and a Linux version. I compiled Mupen64 but have been unable to compile the plugins needed to play ROMs. Perhaps you would be able to provide a working Linux 64 bit version with 64 bit plugins.
    That's kind of a tall request...

Would a 64bit ports also allow it to run on multicore machine effectively? I'm a bit ignorant about how this new cores are. I know there are 64bit single cores but would running on a multi-core more be the responsibility of the OS like Vista?

Mupen64Plus Dev.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: Yes... You can already take a big advantage of the multiple cores in 32-bit mode, and I believe most emulators use multiple threads, so it may indirectly relate to what your saying, since it does take more advantage of each core.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i think that is a good thing for TR64. And i would like really to see TR64 to work on Linux .

Perhaps Icepir8 prepare us a gift ...

Master of the Emulation Flame MasterPhW's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Guys?
    I also would like to see TR64 turnout in a 64Bit app, because I nearly have the same config icepir8 has, but this thread is more than 3 month old, so he probably already has made a decision if it would make sense to port it.
    But we already digg this thread, so Icy, do have made a decision? *curiously*
    Oh... we probably don't get an answer that soon, because last activitity was in june...
    Last edited by MasterPhW; October 6th, 2007 at 15:05. Reason: updated because of some more infos
    The Future of Emulation: Emulate a High End Computer on a Low End System
    Main: Intel Core i7 (Lynnfiled) 860 (@3.802Ghz) | 8 GB DDR3-1333 | ATI XFX HD 5750 PCI-E | ATI High Definition Audio Device | 256 GB SSD + 3 TB Internal SATA2 + 4 TB external | Windows 7 Professional X64 SP1 MSDNAA
    Netbook: Asus EeePC 1015PEM | Intel Atom Dual Core N550 (1,5GHz) | 2GB DDR3-1066 | Intel GMA 3150 | 250GB HDD | Win 7 Starter
    Old One: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2x2.5Ghz; S939) | MSI KbT Neo2-F V2.0 | 2x1GB Corsair Value VS1GBKIT400 | Radeon HD 3850 512 MB/AGP8x | Creative SB Audigy LS | 2TB (4x500GB SATA2 HDDs Raid0) | Windows 7 Business X64 SP1 MSDNAA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast