What's new

Computer Shutdown??

mathason

hello people

i have tried a few roms and they work fine two problems i have are:

1. When i play tony hawk the text does not appear i dont know why so its hard to do enything at all

also

2. when i play pokemon stadium (lol) my entire computer restarts im not sure whey

Enyhelp would be apreciated thanx

hello peoples

My computer keeps shuting down whenever i try to play pokemon stadium
and i also cant read the text boxes i dono whats rong maybe the graphics card

plese help enyone
thanx

Last edited by a moderator:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Maybe you should tell us what graphics card you have (as well as your computer specs in general)

Iconoclast

Duh! I can just imagine, an error message comes up during game emulation saying "oops.." and Project64 closes and his PC just reboots....

For THPS 3, I would say try using 1964 w/ Rice's Video Plugin (Daedalus I don't think will work nicely) and then maybe installing Mupen64.

OP
M

mathason

well i dont know very much about computers i dont even know how u check what graphic card you have all i know is that its 640 mb ram lol sorry

and there is no error message while ima plsying the computer just shuds down with out eny warning i dono why

OP
M

mathason

well i dont know very much about computers i dont even know how u check what graphic card you have all i know is that its 640 mb ram lol sorry

and there is no error message while ima playing the computer just shuts down with out eny warning i dono why

Iconoclast

Okay...well, try the below steps:
  1. Download the installer for Mupen64 (click the link!) according to your system (Windows, Mac, etc.).
  2. Run the installer.
  3. Follow the directions; everything's going to be okay.
  4. Should be on your hard disk eventually.
  5. Look for a shortcut on your desktop.
  6. File/Open ROM, browse for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, and now try it.

OP
M

mathason

yaa that wroks but when i play pokemon stadium2 the comp shuts down without waring eny answers for that ??

thanx for the other info

Iconoclast

yaa that wroks but when i play pokemon stadium2 the comp shuts down without waring eny answers for that ??

thanx for the other info
Wow...so this happens on two different emulators? That is weird...I would have to say it's definitely something going on with your system. I forget...was it called, BSOD?

Go back to Project64 for just a second. When you choose "Configure Graphics Plugin..." from under the Options menu, what does the blue text at the top-left say?

OP
M

mathason

the configur graphics plugin box says

settings
sis 630/730 ( which i installed recently)

Windowed resolution 640x480
Full screen resolution 640x480 16 bit 60 Hz

does that help??

painkiller78

the configur graphics plugin box says

settings
sis 630/730 ( which i installed recently)

Windowed resolution 640x480
Full screen resolution 640x480 16 bit 60 Hz

does that help??

Well, sorry to say it so hard, but that video card is crap. It's manufactured by Sis Integrated System http://www.sis.com/

And let me tell you something, that model is very old, maybe 8-10 years, and if I don't recall bad it uses memory from the main computer memory to operate, I think that method is called integrated video chip with shared memory... you should try to get a descent video card, maybe a GeForce4, ATI Radeon 9000 or better video card
If you have desktop system you should check your computer manual if your motherboard supports AGP slot and which type 1X, 2X, 4X or 8X (the last I doubt for the type of current video chip you have).
If you have a notebook I think you are screw, because you cannot upgrade your video card.

Or try older version of the jabo plugin.. but one thing is sure, that video card is crappy old.
Hope this could help you.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Another nearly worthless SiS graphics chip, I'm afraid.

make sure you update its drivers from the SiS homepage and use Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin.

EDIT: In other words, what painkiller said.

OP
M

mathason

ya i know what u mean it is crap but i think i just downloaded and installed it like 2 days ago my computer recomended it
and i dont no verymuich abou this stuff so i did it

Any link i could Download a better version or differnt one???

painkiller78

ya i know what u mean it is crap but i think i just downloaded and installed it like 2 days ago my computer recomended it
and i dont no verymuich abou this stuff so i did it

Any link i could Download a better version or differnt one???

What you mean by "downloaded", a graphic card or graphic chip is something physical inside your computer, on built-in into the motherboard (in the case of integrated video chips).
You don't download a video card, what you can download is a "driver" for your video card, and no, you can download a different one, what you can do is download an updated driver for any card you own, in the case that there's one available. But if you downloaded a driver for that chip from the manufactured web site, you can be sure that it's the last one you gonna get because that chips is very old and discontinued by the manufacturer.

I recommend you to buy a cheap video card or borrow a old one from a friend, if you want to play N64 games on your PC, like I told before a GeForce4 or GeForce5 could do the job, or a ATI Radeon too. Something with 64 MB video memory or better, stay away from cards designed for AGP 8x bus speed, it's probably that your motherboard doesn't support that type of AGP speed, maybe 1X, 2X or 4X AGP card could work on you computer, all this assuming that you are running a desktop system.

Also you should check out what kind of processor you have, most emulators (including N64 ones) need a good CPU to run the most demanding games, but on this I can't said nothing for sure because we don't know your current computer specifications.

Your memory seems good, you said something like 640 MB.. maybe you have 2 256 MB dimms and 1 128 MB dimm, or a 512 MB dimm and a 128 mb dimm, I don't know, just you could tell us for sure, if you are not mistaken, that amount of RAM is fair enough to run any emulator game.

Well, hope this help you.

OP
M

mathason

ya that makes scence now thanx man
and the RAM is 640 its 512 and 128
but when i play super smash it isnt too smooth
but for the sis driver do i update from sis.com?
or what

painkiller78

ya that makes scence now thanx man
and the RAM is 640 its 512 and 128
but when i play super smash it isnt too smooth
but for the sis driver do i update from sis.com?
or what

well, try to update the driver, what operating system are you using?
if you are using XP, I think they didn't released any specific driver for that OS, cause there's one already built in the XP CD.. but if you are using Win2000, I think you should take a look on their web site.
Also, keep in mind that by updating the driver, that it's not gonna make miracles, the speed of the chip will not boost just like that, hardware is hardware, you can get optimizations with a new driver, make a little fast, but it's not gonna convert your video card on a super NVidia monster.

ok, luck with that.

Last edited:

smcd

sis are integrated graphics... generally are about the same level as intel integrated graphics from what i've experienced.

painkiller78

sis are integrated graphics... generally are about the same level as intel integrated graphics from what i've experienced.

Not always, there was a lot of older AGP 1X - 2X video cards driven by SiS video chips, let say the Sis6326, I had like 2 of these on my amd k5 & pentium II days, by the time when there was no GeForce, just Riva TNT and 3dfx Voodoo cards :shifty:

ajay67

hi

i'm having the same problem. run project64 & after some time my pc will auto-restart. my pc is quite recent ( i bought it last week LOL ) but i use integrated graphic card on the motherboard.

my pc spec :
intel core2duo 1.8GHz
DDR2 1GB RAM
gigabyte 945GZ motherboard with build-in 82945G chipset for video

prior to that i was using a PC with PIII 1GHz/256MB RAM/AGP 128MB card. although it ran pretty slow, it didn't shutdown when playing pj64.

any help/advice would be appreciated. does any decent PCI-e VGA card help or is there minimum spec that i have to have?

thanks