What's new

Computer Shutdown??

painkiller78

hi

i'm having the same problem. run project64 & after some time my pc will auto-restart. my pc is quite recent ( i bought it last week LOL ) but i use integrated graphic card on the motherboard.

my pc spec :
intel core2duo 1.8GHz
DDR2 1GB RAM
gigabyte 945GZ motherboard with build-in 82945G chipset for video

prior to that i was using a PC with PIII 1GHz/256MB RAM/AGP 128MB card. although it ran pretty slow, it didn't shutdown when playing pj64.

Look man, I don't want to sound like being and smart-ass.. also I don't know how the emulator is programmed inside, so I cannot know why exactly your computer is rebooting when using integrated video chips, but you should take a look on the User Manual of Project64, the info there might give a clue of why you should try to get fairly descent video cards to play with this emu.

Check this section...
Contents -> Reference -> Minimum (Project64 Minimum System Specification)
Also Check
Contents -> Reference -> Feature List

All your answer are there, and directly from the authors of the project

any help/advice would be appreciated. does any decent PCI-e VGA card help or is there minimum spec that i have to have?

And yes, I think that a powerfull PCI-e video card would do the job for you.

Use this rule when you want to play emulated games:
If the emulator use a LLE approach in its internal design, get a powerful processor (single or multicore, it depends on a particular emulator) eg MAME
But if the emulator uses a HLE approach, get a powerful system in general (super processor, super video card, lots of RAM, etc) eg Project64, PCSX2.

Well, at least that is what I have gotten to learn so far till now, there are other little factors here an there altering the rule to one side or the other, but as a general that is everything you need to play this kind of games.

Hope it help man. Good luck.

Iconoclast

It might also be related to what the Project64 GameFAQ referred to on the Mario Bandstand mini-game as 'BSOD', something that the FAQ seems to be referring to as graphics card-dependent. In other words, I think his problem is being approached wrong, but hey, maybe you're right or maybe both of us are, just saying.

painkiller78

It might also be related to what the Project64 GameFAQ referred to on the Mario Bandstand mini-game as 'BSOD', something that the FAQ seems to be referring to as graphics card-dependent. In other words, I think his problem is being approached wrong, but hey, maybe you're right or maybe both of us are, just saying.

Well, the game which gave mathason problems was pokemon stadium, the game you are talking about it's Mario Party, however the problem in that game appears to be some kind of function that is being tried to use by the emulator and that it's not present or supported by the video hardware/driver, or has a weak or bogus implementation on ATI Radeons cards, by it's ok on NVidia ones. Personally, I think that it might be a serious bug on ATI Catalist drivers what it's making that game crash on that part of the game on Mario Party.

What I was trying to tell to mathason and ajay67 was that the emulator requires certain functions to be supported by the graphic card/drivers on which the emulator is being run, if those function are not present or are bad implemented by the graphic card or driver or both, it possible that it can make the emulator crash or the whole OS crash (BSOD).

Even, the developers recommend to download the Microsoft DirectX Caps Viewer to check if our graphics cards/driver support the TextureOpCaps that their video plugin needs to proper emulation. They even suggest nVidia GeForce256 and ATI Radeon (early models) has realistic minimum video hardware.
But, as you said before, maybe you're right or both are right :)

chiklit

I'd recommend at least disabling auto-restart so you can see what's causing the BSOD: Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > Settings Button under "Startup and Recovery" > Uncheck "Automatically restart".

OP
M

mathason

hello chicklit
so i tried what u said to do a blue screen came up when the restart normally happenes and it said error has been caused by "sis 300.iv" and my graphics plugin when ichack from pj64 it says sis/300/305/630/540/730 i downloaded the newest one which was from 2007 but im not sure what happened