What's new

Is 1.4 MHz enough to play 4player smash online without lagging?

nuro

I currently am using a Pentium III with 1000MHz and it works pretty poorly usually. For game such as Zelda OoT & Majoras mask there is almost no lag at all. However, when I play 4p smash bros there is a great deal of lag. When playing 4p ssb my CPU usage is at 100% and the FPS in the game jump from 40-50 a lot. The lag is pretty bad and I am thinking about getting a 1.4 GHz processor. Although I am having trouble deciding if it will clear my lag problem.

When I play 1v1 ssb games the lag isn't so bad. The lag is around 55 to 60 depending on what level I am playing on. So I guess it is just a little more CPU juice that I need that will solve my problem.

On further note I am pretty sure it is my CPU. I recently upgraded my ram a little and I saw no change in the lag. Also my GFX card is sufficient enough.

Is there any way of finding out if this small upgrade will solve my problem?

Last edited:

Coredo

Nolife
Yeeeaah... I'm pretty sure it's your CPU too, but if you plan to upgrade it you should concider getting just a bit better processor than 1.4 GHz... Maybe 1.8?

OP
N

nuro

Yeeeaah... I'm pretty sure it's your CPU too, but if you plan to upgrade it you should concider getting just a bit better processor than 1.4 GHz... Maybe 1.8?

thats impossible a 1.4 processor secor is the highest thing that can go in my cpu

Zacongpow

If you have a good GFX card, a good amount of ram, then you will notice a differance in lag from this upgrade, however don't expect the performance to be perfect, even though it will be better then it was. But if this upgrade is expensive then just leave it alone and live with it. From using this emulator on many different machines, I would say to get perfect performance you need a 1.6ghz Pentium 4 or 1.3ghz Athlon at least.

Last edited:
OP
N

nuro

If you have a good GFX card, a good amount of ram, then you will notice a differance in lag from this upgrade, however don't expect the performance to be perfect, even though it will be better then it was. But if this upgrade is expensive then just leave it alone and live with it. From using this emulator on many different machines, I would say to get perfect performance you need a 1.6ghz Pentium 4 or 1.3ghz Athlon at least.

I am spending about 40$ for the upgrade. If you say a 1.3 Athlon would be close to perfect wouldn't a 1.4 GHz Intel processor be better?

MIO0

If you say a 1.3 Athlon would be close to perfect wouldn't a 1.4 GHz Intel processor be better?

Athlons are more efficient than Pentium 4s. If you took an Athlon and a Pentium 4 that were on the market at about the same time, and run them at the same clock speed, the Athlon would beat the Pentium 4.

Clements

I could not say that the 400MHz bump would eliminate all slowdowns you are experiencing, but there will probably be some noticeable improvement. For $40, it seems like you are not going to lose much anyway.

Plus: Presumably he is talking about installing a Pentium III 1.4GHz and not a Pentium 4 if he is using his current motherboard. Should be a straight CPU replacement.

Last edited:
OP
N

nuro

^yes I am and are you sure there is no way of figuring out if it will work? I am very cautious with my money so even 40$ matters to me. Is there anyone who knows or tested if a 1.4 GHz processor runs most n64 games properly? If not most then does it run smash brothers proper?

Coredo

Nolife
^yes I am and are you sure there is no way of figuring out if it will work? I am very cautious with my money so even 40$ matters to me. Is there anyone who knows or tested if a 1.4 GHz processor runs most n64 games properly? If not most then does it run smash brothers proper?

I spoke from experience.
The lag is not horrible and sometimes even nonexistant in some games but in the more demanding games such as Banjo-Tooie you get nasty slowdown.

OP
N

nuro

I spoke from experience.
The lag is not horrible and sometimes even nonexistant in some games but in the more demanding games such as Banjo-Tooie you get nasty slowdown.

Can you please check if there is any slow down time from 4 player super smash bros? That is really the only game I play. Also please check it at various levels with a lot of items on etc to see if anything slows it down.

Thanks

Coredo

Nolife
There was a whole lot of slowdown even in single player, I don't have the 1,4 GHz computer anymore, so I can't test anything.

OP
N

nuro

That is funny because when I play single player it isnt laggy much at all. Did you have a bad gfx card?

Ma Chao

Proud Warrior
I used to run SSB almost perfectly on 1964 with Rice's Video, Azimer's HLE Audio WIP2 and Hacktarux RSP. Even if your game keeps lagging, you could try changing the video/audio plugins, or even the emulator (on my old Duron 1.2 Ghz, Nvidia Riva TNT2, SSB was laggy with PJ64).

I can't assure that the emulators/plugins I mentioned will work with you, or if this method will solve the problems of every game that may be laggy.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
disable texture filtering and anti aliasing, these are the most common causes of slowdowns in emulators

a jump to a 1.4ghz cpu won't be as effective as going from a 1.667ghz AthlonXP 2000 to a 2.17ghz AthlonXP 3000

(you can trust me on that,.. with my 2000+ starcraft brood war would slow down to a crawl when massive amounts of units are on the map, yet with a 3000+ it doesn't even jump.)

as its the same architecture, and the netburst architecture has never been good at intesne calculations (such as emulation causes)

Firebgre

$40

Wow, you need to spend more than $40 if you are truly going to upgrade your computer.

I used attempt to run SSB on a AMD Athlon 1GHz 1600+, 512MB RAM, 64MB Video card, but the card wasnt good enough so there would be missing textures, but no lag. If your ram and vid is better than that listed above, you may be fine. However, I am not sure if 400Mhz will make much of a difference. Try to find the fastest CPU for your socket. If your P3 is using SEC, get a new machine.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
disable texture filtering and anti aliasing, these are the most common causes of slowdowns in emulators

a jump to a 1.4ghz cpu won't be as effective as going from a 1.667ghz AthlonXP 2000 to a 2.17ghz AthlonXP 3000

(you can trust me on that,.. with my 2000+ starcraft brood war would slow down to a crawl when massive amounts of units are on the map, yet with a 3000+ it doesn't even jump.)

as its the same architecture, and the netburst architecture has never been good at intesne calculations (such as emulation causes)

AF and AA the most common slowdown factors? Are you on some hard shit? And also, since when has the P3 been on Netburst? It's P6, the grandfather of the Core 2 Duo.

Also - if you move from a Coppermine P3 to a Tualatin 1.4, the 400MHz and extra 256KB of L2 cache will help quite a bit. In my pseudo arcade I run a 1.2 Celeron Tualatin @ 1.6GHz, and it runs PJ64 just fine with idle.

Last edited: