What's new

Masken, Masken Where Are You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

punisher001

Everyone gets what he deserves
Could you please let us know any news about WhineCube? Come on, its been a long time.... Thx, and have a nice day.. :flowers:

BlueFalcon7

Last I talked to him (quite a bit ago) he was writing an assmebler core (I think it was just the core) So, from the looks of it, I think it will be pretty good when it comes out. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was dual core support...

Masken

WhineCube author
Here's how it is:

After R7 I hit a wall with compatibility; couldn't figure out what to do in order to make more stuff run properly. So I started working on low-level stuff.

First I made a CPU core testing program, which ran both on real hardware and the emulator, to help find bugs. It was succesful, but didn't seem to increase compatibility.

Next I resumed work on the DSP, intending to make a similar low-level testing program for that too. However, it quickly became obvious that the amount of data that would need to be transferred between hardware and emulator required a direct connection.

Thus I started fixing up the BBA emulation. I am using a virtual network adapter from the OpenVPN project. Right now, it's working well, except when the emulator is recieving data too fast; then it will randomly freeze.

Testing continues as Real Life(tm) permits; my job takes most of my time.

When the BBA emulation is complete, I intend to make a new release. Because all OpenVPN code is licenced under the GNU GPL, WhineCube R8 will also be open source.

I'm not very interested in the Gekko-Dolphin battle; I have begun to see WhineCube as more of a testing platform for advanced emulation technologies rather than an end-user application that would be able to compete.

I still have great respect for both emulators. I'll probably be using one of them when they become playable. :)

OP
punisher001

punisher001

Everyone gets what he deserves
Thanks for answering Masken... Continue your great work...! :) In addition, it's nice to know that WhineCube is going to be open source software. I assume that other programmers will be interested in helping you! Cheers...

zaba_3

Thanks for answering Masken... Continue your great work...! :) In addition, it's nice to know that WhineCube is going to be open source software. I assume that other programmers will be interested in helping you! Cheers...

Its not like they couldn't help now ;)

niuus

Avid gamer & multimedia fan
Here's how it is:

After R7 I hit a wall with compatibility; couldn't figure out what to do in order to make more stuff run properly. So I started working on low-level stuff.

First I made a CPU core testing program, which ran both on real hardware and the emulator, to help find bugs. It was succesful, but didn't seem to increase compatibility.

Next I resumed work on the DSP, intending to make a similar low-level testing program for that too. However, it quickly became obvious that the amount of data that would need to be transferred between hardware and emulator required a direct connection.

Thus I started fixing up the BBA emulation. I am using a virtual network adapter from the OpenVPN project. Right now, it's working well, except when the emulator is recieving data too fast; then it will randomly freeze.

Testing continues as Real Life(tm) permits; my job takes most of my time.

When the BBA emulation is complete, I intend to make a new release. Because all OpenVPN code is licenced under the GNU GPL, WhineCube R8 will also be open source.

Great news from the dev himself. :bouncy:
I'm looking forward for this release.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
pura boca, :shaun: cagado
Uhm, what? ET is a English speaking community, so please stay at English.
If you also miss him, you could try to contact Masken at his IRC channel, he's probably idling around there. :p

smcd

something along the lines of "all talk, funny" was he talking about masken, or poison power?

synch

The in context translation would be:

- "you just talk" for the first part
- The second part is harder to translate. The idea is something in the lines of "fearful person" used as a despective.

I can't seem to translate it better, but it's quite a "untranslatable" phrase.

James Howard

I was in Copenhagen for a week. Tried all the bars and found Masken to be the best by far. It is a very small pleasant little place with great staff! Buy the locals a round and be surprised at how accommodating they can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.