What's new

Z64 - a LLE graphics plugin

olivieryuyu

Very nice work indeed !!!

I am impressed by the speed of this emulator and the fact that some fb effects are handled nicely, as Mario Tennis.

I hope also it will help HLE to be more accurate and support more stuff as sky in PD.

Now there is still some things that are problematic, as Factor 5 or Boss games games and also the stretched textures in so many games. This latter is really something that now is going to be a real mystery as even LLE has this issue. For instance Ready 2 rumble.

Well anyway very happy to see that LLE is now a reality in N64 emulation.

Congrats

elchhome

Hi Ziggy,

nice work, but I get a shifted picture in the mario tennis menus. It does not matter which RSP implementation I take. a picture is attached

best regards...

OP
Z

ziggy

Yes there are problems with the screen setup sometimes. If you try Mario Party, you'll see it's even much worst for that game. Mario Tennis version US doesn't have that bug however.

Anyway, this is not high priority problem at the moment, I know it's there and I'll look at it sometimes.

OP
Z

ziggy

New release R10 that fixes yet again some ATI slowness issues , plus add a new configuration file + some other fixes.

This configuration file called "z64gl.conf" should be copied into the Plugin/ directory, it allow to select some options, in particular the screen resolution.

Sri Narayan, now "assert" statements have been replaced by "rglAssert" statements. To simply remove all the asserts , simply remove the RDP_DEBUG setting into the makefile. The win32 doesn't have any assert anymore either, meaning that people that have a geforce5900 for example might have better luck now.

rcgamer

the old guy
Whoa, this is pretty nice. Using r10 I was playing Mario Tennis and getting fron 35-55 FPS even during the transition and replays. Nice work. Evfen the split screen effect at the beginning of a match looks nice(the vs. split screen).
Oh and I am using ati x800 with 7.4 drivers.

rcgamer

the old guy
I get an unknown x86 opcode error with conkers bad fur day right off the bat.
Edit-that was using pj64. With 1964 conkers does run. Slow movie intro.

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
This configuration thingy made my day, especially the separate FS and Win resolution. :D

MIO0

How did you get the format of the hardware G_TRI* commands? gbi.h has the command numbers, but no information on the formant of the parameters.

OP
Z

ziggy

Well, I read "somewhere" that these command where the raw commands the RDP handles, the parameters being slopes instead of traditional coordinates. If you've written a software renderer, it will be familiar, usually to render a triangle, you calculate the starting point and from there, you need slopes , or variations, of the different values (colors, edges of the triangle, etc ...) so that you can render your triangle incrementally. On the N64, the RSP calculate the starting point and the slopes, and then the RDP do the actual rendering incrementally.

Then the next step was to find out how these parameters were encoded in the RDP command, and I was very lucky because I didn't have to do it myself :) Ville Linde from the project Mame/Mess had already done it. I only improved a little bit on what he did to get rid of some imprecisions (and there are still some remaining) Reverse engineering these parameters encoding was definitely the most difficult part and all credits for this goes to Ville Linde.

smcd

Since you are improving on MAME sources, are you contributing your findings back to the MAME project? That'd be great :) btw, nice work so far!

OP
Z

ziggy

I'm not contributing back directly to Mame, however all my source code is available and I'll definitely contact Ville Linde at some point.

Sethmcdoogle : by the way, at the beginning , you mentionned that you were able to view some stuffs in Rogue Squadron, which emulator were you using ? Personally I'm stuck on the expansion pack screen with Mupen64 ...

smcd

I used pj64 1.6 with latest rdb, lle rsp plugin and one of the earliest (r1, r2?) z64 editions. I didn't try to get further into the game, but the expansion screen showed then the little space ships flew around in the next screen and I closed the program

gandalf

Member ready to help
I tried the plug-in, but Pj64 (also Mupen and 1964) crashes everytime when the game tries to render something 3d, it not crash when renders something 2d (like 1080 snowboarding intro, the n64 logo and more stuff)

It´s the same with all z64 video plug-in versions, and with the z64rsp and the pj64rsp modified. :(

Specs of my comp are still there in my profile (6600GT AGP video card 93.71 drivers)

EDIT: And there´s no LOG created :S

EDIT2: Maybe a driver problem? (these drivers are modified, Xg drivers, not oficial ones)
zbench64log:

test #00 7.81904
test #01 7.82096
test #02 7.84882
test #03 7.7991
test #04 7.8238
test #05 7.82314
test #06 7.83111
test #07 8.02833
test #08 8.06206
test #09 7.81409
test #10 15.5993

EDIT3: Yes, there´s LOG created (after tried to play Mario Golf)

z64err:

rom name 'MarioGolf64'
key 'res_x' value 640
key 'res_y' value 480
key 'fs_res_x' value 1024
key 'fs_res_y' value 768
key 'hires_fb' value 1
key 'fb_info' value 0
section 'ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK'
section 'MAJORA'S MASK'
section 'Banjo-Kazooie'
section 'BANJO KAZOOIE 2'
section 'BANJO TOOIE'
section 'MARIOKART64'
section 'ZELDA MASTER QUEST'
section 'THE LEGEND OF ZELDA'
viewportOffset 23
fix hend
creating fbo 400 320 x 240 fmt 0
Creating depth buffer 400 640 x 486
creating fbo 38f800 320 x 240 fmt 0
fix hend
creating fbo 400 320 x 240 fmt 0
Creating depth buffer 400 640 x 482
creating fbo 3b5000 320 x 240 fmt 0
creating fbo 3da800 320 x 240 fmt 0
creating fbo 38f800 320 x 240 fmt 0

z64log:

rglInit()
rglClose()

Last edited:
OP
Z

ziggy

This sounds quite strange. Might be driver related, but there shouldn't be any difference between 2d and 3d stuffs, they all go through the same OpenGL code.

Could you try this version ? It might produce better logs.

EDIT : if there's no log, try to redownload the archive, the first version had a mistake in it

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

Rogue Squadron works up until the title screen when it crashes - the bits prior to the crash though look superb.

For me if a game doesn't work I set the RSP plugin to process audio lists or vice versa (for some reason that tends to work).

gandalf

Member ready to help
For me if a game doesn't work I set the RSP plugin to process audio lists or vice versa (for some reason that tends to work).

Well, i tried with the PJ64 RSP, and i did the same thing (send audio list to audio plug-in) and it works! (slooow, but well, it doesn´t matter now)

I think , this plug in has a little time out there, but the emulation it´s great, at least i see a plug in that makes a nice transition, in banjo kazooie, between Rare (when the mosquito crash with it) logo and the intro (when the mosquito fall in the water)!

And the sky in goldeneye, that´s great :)

Last edited:

gandalf

Member ready to help
My CPU it´s an AMD Sempron (socket A) 2600 @ 2.1ghz
Motherboard ASUS A7N8X E-Deluxe with Nforce 2 Ultra 400 (soundstorm sound) 1GB ram DDR (1:1 with FSB), Windows XP SP2

I tried with it, but with your RSP and crashes (still no log :S), now i´ll try it, but with PJ64 rsp

I´m so sorry, i´m bad for this things :(

grand master

Emualtion Pimp
WOW! My first post in prob 4 yrs. I've been waiting for a LLE/software plugin for the 64 for ages (actually found this by randomly entering software plugin in google). I would love to have a plugin that faithfully recreates the n64 in all it's mid 90's crappy-ness. I used to love playing the games at high res but now i have a serious case of nostalgia and would love these games preserved in their original format. In my mind software/LLe emu is what should be undertaken. HLE is not true emulation (but great none the less)
Great work Ziggy. Would love to do some testing but i have so many test at the mo. Keep up the great work!

grand master

Emualtion Pimp
Just took the plugin for a spin. Very impressed already. Mario Tennis is easily the best i've seen from any other plugin. GoldenEye is sluggish on my comp (x2 4400+ 7800gt Extreme). I'm sure speed will improve when it it optimised and improved. As it stands it's a very good and promising plugin. Hopefully you will develop it further, cause as i said i would love a LLE/software plugin so i can get the most authentic n64 experience.
Great work. Keep it up!.