What's new

Z64 - a LLE graphics plugin

OP
Z

ziggy

Ok, we're progressing :) Well done for finding your weird problem Trotterwatch.

Here's two new versions to test to narrow the problem even more. One is still in the ridiculously small resolution , the other back in 1024x768.

EDIT : by the way, places where speed goes to 2fps , I think this time it's really due to fragment shader, we'll need to look at this but later on

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
OK. Both the new low and high resolution versions are fast. :D
Z-Buffer seems broken on Mario 64 though. Only the version with the disabled framebuffer looks ok.

Here are two screenshots to compare (left is the old one with FBO disabled, right is the new one with FBO enabled):

OP
Z

ziggy

Excellent. I'm posting a new release in the original post (R5), the difference being that RGBA framebuffers are back and thus dynamic shadows in CBFD , Jet force gemini and Banjo will work again.

EDIT : indeed I noticed the depth problem on your earlier screenshot. Not sure but that might be fixed in R5 as well.

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Just tried R5... Unfortunately the problem is still there... Weird :\

Edit: Switching to fullscreen makes things even worse. Switching back to window mode does not fix this... Check the screenshot below.

Last edited:
OP
Z

ziggy

You mean the depth problem or the slowness problem ? If it's the depth problem only, I'm not too surprised actually, it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

OP
Z

ziggy

Does it also get worse when switching fullscreen with the z64-normal version ?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Yes. It happens on both the normal and R5.
With the version that had disabled framebuffer objects it didn't get worse. It would either switch normally to fullscreen or it would pop up an "assertion failed" error message. (the plugin seems to continue normally after ignoring the message)

OP
Z

ziggy

Ok, the depth problem might be less simple than I thought first. Thanks for your help all of you, I think I'll stop for today. The next step (apart of this depth issue) will be to find out what causes the remaining occasional slowdowns. What would be useful would be to find some scenes that show this behaviour, and if possible the exact moment in the scene where it starts to get slow. The best would be scene that run at normal speed and an effect in that scene that is triggered by the player and causes such a slowdown, so that I'll be able to see what in the effect possibly could be the culprit.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I don't know really, what happens exactly when you try it under Vista ?
Mupen64 (at least) crashes.

Z64 + Z64 RSP = Crash
Z64 + PJ/Z64 RSP = Crash
Glide64 + Any RSP = Crash
Direct64 + Z64 RSP / PJ/Z64 RSP = No crash, but doesn't work
Direct64 + Azimer/Hacktarux RSP = Works

So it seems related to your plugin.

OP
Z

ziggy

Does it have time to produce z64log.txt and z64err.txt files before it crashes ? If it does, could you post the content ?

OP
Z

ziggy

There's nothing we can do here. Apparently OpenGL has been seriously downgraded under Vista. I read somewhere, but it was quite some time ago, that Microsoft planned to limit OpenGL to version 1.4 under Vista, it seems they really did it then ?

EDIT : I did a bit of googling, it might be possible that if you deactivate Aero, then things get better. Are you using Aero under Vista ?

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yes, I use Aero...
I can try. It doesn't hurt to try...
No... no, it doesn't work (test shows the same). Either it's downgraded or drivers are premature...
Guess we'll have to work with XP for a while yet. Vista really is crippled...

Last edited:

ray16

The Grand Potatomaster
In PJ64 I just get a blank screen no matter what game I load. In 1964 with the z64 RSP I get a black screen and then an exception in the emulation thread. And in 1964 with the other RSP plugin Conker loads, but crashes near the end of the N64/Rare logo animation, and Goldeneye seemed to work fine...but very slowly.

Just sharing my experience with the plugin.

As for Vista and its OpenGL support... I don't think the OS has much to do with the OpenGL problems while running under Vista, I'm fairly certain it's just the drivers lacking in OpenGL support at the moment (with most games being Direct3D, I imagine it has priority, and OpenGL improvements will come later).