What's new

Why is PJ64 so awesome???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend

WTF Icono!?! Can you stop thinking you're right about everything, especially after a plugin author had to correct every single one of your points before on another topic. You're not the end-all judge of N64 emulation. You just have to start arguments about every point I make, don't you?

It isn't the easiest to use; it's GUI has four menus; so what? In 1964 and Mupen64, it's just as easy to use. It's got a damn ROM browser; it has a damn Open ROM command; yet you aren't the first to make this statement. All the emulators have these things.

Its the easiest out of the box, after that it IS about par with others since they all have very similar interfaces. You said yourself here...

Probably because the graphics plugin hardly gives you shit, doesn't need to be configured like Rice's or anything, just cuts down to the game. And the RSP is also another power of the near-perfect sound it has.
That's why I say this is the best emulator for 'beginners'. That'll probably change soon..

Yes, Jabos 1.6 does'nt give any one shit. Does Direct V0.5 or Rice's plugin? Yeeesss.

So you say right here it's best for beginners which means it easier, does'nt it?! If it less to configure at first and the default graphics plugin is extremely compatable then it's eeeeaassier. YEEEESSS. I believe in front of all of us here, a complete contradiction for Iconocast who said "its not the easiest to use" but that its "best emulator for 'beginners'". How could both those be true? Hmm...

And Nemu64? It doesn't use ROM caching: It automatically updates to the current dir so you don't need to press F5 or change a thing.You know all those games that Project64 can't support due to the core? They're all supported by Mupen64.

I actually DID mean to put the word "except" before Mupen when I said that. So it should have said "...higher than most others (except Mupen) and...". My bad. Mupen does seem to play it all. I was talking about how 1964 can't play Kirby and Star Wars Racer properly without weird core bugs. And until you play those 2 games all the way to the end of the game on 1964, do not comment. They have bad Logic problems and do not function properly at moments-game-halting moments. What games does 1964 emulate that PJ64 does not? Mupen is great and has nice features like per rom plugins (though soon to PJ1.7) and video recording (ditto) and the multi-OS compatability. If you have Linux or a Mac, then this IS the emulator for you.

And PJ1.7 auto refresh rom lists...

It also has extra Glide64 interaction and if you can't get a ROM to work on it, that ROM ain't going to work on any emulator. The ONLY downfall is no GS cheats, nothing else.

It does have nice FB notification but it does not work well with Glide64 and current wrappers, making that feature not really applicable. Crashes on exit and have to get the Task Manager out to shut er down. So its not completely solid. But again, the Cheats thing is pretty major feature that ALOT of people care about. It nice to have around, to have fun with or to get past a difficult part. I know Hacks will implement that some day, for now that's a very attractive selling point for PJ64. Again PJ64 is the most well rounded emu which has everything that most people need, generally speaking, a clean, simple UI and you just don't need to fuss around with it to get playing all your games well.

Lastly, Project64k SUCKS. It's slower than 1964, causes more connection issues than 1964, doesn't allow third-party plugins for NetPlay emulation (a VERY important thing, no matter what the plugin forceably used is), and has the compatibility of an angle-side-side on legs. The sad part is, everyone uses it.

I was just stating that this feature is available, not that its the greatest. But as you said, people use it, and that's what matters.:)

1964 is not too unstable. As long as you use it cautiously, its worth the triple+ speed, third-party RSP option, plugin-to-ROM assignments, PROPER recompiling without frequent stutters like in Project64, core supporting some ROMs that Project64 and Nemu64 don't (vice versa ain't true for Project64), PROPER working speed increase/decrease function on any system (even the 1.7 beta, Jesus, over here..), and no crackles in sound when using Azimer's HLE w/out Jabo's RSP.

Have you ever used 1964?!It is unstable, especially compared to the likes of Mupen and PJ64. Exiting fullscreen is like a 50/50 shot of not hard locking your system after playing for a while. It was my main emu for years (1964 0.9) so I know for personal experience. It froze alot, the save states didn't work that well, and using Azimer's latest audio plugins cause the emu to crash upon loadind a second game. I could not have Glide64 as my default plugin because it would not allow other plugins (assigned to a rom) to boot that rom. The emu would simply disappear. Anyone whose spent time with this emu knows its not as stable as others or even the version before it and that's why it has the reputation it does! Do you listen to anyone else!?!

It is not triple speed (but if you have a shit computer, you can use 1964). With PJ1.7, you can use whatever RSP you want, though PJ's IS the best, while Hack's RSP is good for slower computers. Per rom plugins is about here and there's no stuttering on PJ1.7 with my computer. Who really cares about speed increase or decrease, how about games run at the speed they supposed to. Again both 1964 and Mupen are terrific emulators, depending on what features you're looking for, one of those might be the best for you. But generally speaking, PJ64 does an exceptional job at giving people what they want out of their N64 experience.

1964 has its own beta development site, and don't forget, it's not like Mupen64, the most compatible core emulator, is discontinued. Imagine it with both NetPlay AND GS cheats. It will be supreme, except it won't be able to use 1.7 gfx and won't quite get into those games with that complex microcode shit involved, nor any other emulator without either Rice's or an LLE gfx plugin.

We'll see....and not being able to use Jabo's 1.7 GFX plugin is MAJOR...I think the websites and the ratings and the fan club and just the sheer amount of people in this forum, says it all. It is popular and for good reason.:pj64:

Last edited:

Allnatural

I'm sure Jabo and zilmar appreciate the compliments, but this is quickly devolving into spam.

/closed

Status
Not open for further replies.