What's new

My first Emu. Need help.

Galkatokk

I've downloaded Project 64 (latest) and need alittle help using Super Smash Bros. on it. I have no idea how to use either. Could I get some help?

I downloaded the ROM to WinRAR.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I hate to sound like an uncaring, cold person, but what happened to reading the included documentation and just fiddling around and experimenting with the program? It's not like emulator will make your computer blow up or short-circuit on you, just because you checked the wrong box in one of the windows.

Obviously you first have to install the emulator by running the setup program. Then you might want to use WinRAR to extract the rom to Project64's roms folder. Then you might want to start the emulator and have a look around while simultaneously keeping the Project 64 user Manual open on the side.

I'm willing to help you with whatever future problems you might have, but have some initiative; it's not going to kill you either.

P.S. You downloaded the rom to your HDD, not "to" WinRAR.

the master 123

Is the format or extension of it .rar or winrar then uncompress it. Then goto to open file. The defualt of pj64 should have no problem with game provide you hardware is powerful enough(major at least I play it on it before). What is you hardware specs(video, processor, ram amount) to get this system info and goto direct x diagnotics.

OP
G

Galkatokk

Well, thanks for trying to help, but I managed to get the games up and running to a necessary level to play them. However, there is one quite annoying issue I'd like resolved... sometimes, in certain areas of my Majoras' Mask ROM, the ground is pitch black. I'm 100% sure it's not supposed to be like this, as sometimes, if at the right angle, you can see the black ground flicker on and off to what it should be (cobblestones, grass etc).

Could I get a few tips on what might be wrong?

V

vashts2005

<in a captain kirk voice> we...need those specs...on your machine

OP
G

Galkatokk

Well, I don't exactly know my specs... I might be able to ask my brother later (he's the tech head), but here's the stuff that I can read directly off of my computer...

If I've missed anything, maybe you guys can tell me how to find the needed info out?

-Intel Pentium 4 Processor
-512MB DDR
-Geforce 4 MX440

Agozer

Your graphics card doesn't meet the required specs for Jabo's Direct3D8 plugin (the default graphics plugin). Use Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin instead. Change the plugin via Options --> Settings --> Plugins.

OP
G

Galkatokk

I still have the problem in certain areas, though it's more to do with far-off scenery, or certain sign-boards. 50% of the time they're black, 50% of the time they're normal, depending on which angle you're looking at them from. Sometimes in town this happens on the ground. I haven't progressed far into the game and so I don't know if this issue might crop up during critical moments.

Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it, but are there any other ideas to minimise the issue?

zaba_3

Your graphics card doesn't meet the required specs for Jabo's Direct3D8 plugin (the default graphics plugin). Use Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin instead. Change the plugin via Options --> Settings --> Plugins.

hmm how I can run that plugin with same videocard? :huh:

OP
G

Galkatokk

I have another problem. Sometimes the game just goes pitch black, and the sound goes all stuttery. Anyways to prevent this from ever happening?

Agozer

hmm how I can run that plugin with same videocard? :huh:
I didn't say that you couldn't run the plugin. If you don't get any artifacts, missing textures or other errors with the GeForce4 MX 440 and Jabo's Direct3D8 plugin, then good for you.

GF4 MX cards do not fully support DirectX8's vertex and pixel shaders, and AFAIK, Jabo's plugin more or less needs these to work correctly.

His drivers might not be up to date, who knows.

Last edited:
OP
G

Galkatokk

I still kind of need help with the issue where the game goes pitch black and the sound goes stuttery. Your help so far has been great, but I'm pretty sure that the games would be nigh-on unplayable with this problem :)

OP
G

Galkatokk

It's more random. It doesn't happen frequently, but I'm just worried it might happen at a critical stage :S

I've gotten a new problem now... when I try to load up Majoras' Mask, it simply tells me "Failed to open Flashram". I end up starting the game in the Mayors' house, in a first person perspective, unable to move, look around, or bring up any menus.

UPDATE:

Now Majoras' Mask won't even start up, even though other ROMs seem to work almost perfectly.

The ROM loads, but all I'm presented with is a black screen. No sound. No logos.

I'm thinking it's the ROM for MAjoras' Mask that's giving me alot of trouble. If anyone has a good one, please add me on Yahoo instant messenger (My id is dh_evil ).

We can discuss solutions to my problem.

Last edited: