What's new

Black Paper Mario?

Jademalo

I have RiceVideo 6.1.1 Beta 10 to reduce the flicker, and in dungeons where its dark, mario is black. any other plugin has extreme flicker, so i have to use this one. If i use the OpenGL Renderer it gets an error saying "Failed to allocate memory" or something..

I think it has something to do with the shading, but im not sure.

any help?

Thanks,

~Jademalo~

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
What video card do you have? If your system can handle it, you'll get the best results with Glide64 and a wrapper.

OP
J

Jademalo

I dunno.. i got a laptop..

EDIT: its an N-vidia one.. is there an option i need to enable or summit?

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Rice Video has some trouble with Paper Mario's dynamic lighting system. Currently, the best plugin to use with Paper Mario is Glide64 with the hardware framebuffer wrapper, but you need a decent graphics card for it to work. Unfortunately, I can't tell if your graphics card is good enough unless you can tell us its model.

HellsBound

N64 Textures
No rice video has that problem it hasent got frame buffer effects well not all get Glide64 wonder++ or jabos latest video it will be fine.

OP
J

Jademalo

Dynamic Lightimg.. Ill try Glide64 :)

EDIT: Brilliant! everything is fine exceptfor 2 things.

1. in window mode, there is a wierd thing above and below the image..
2. after ive loaded a rom, i cant close and open another. i have to exit PJ64 and open it again. i no trouble, but still..

ill post pics of the first rror and my settings later

Pics:

The circled areas are really bad. they flicker like crazy..

(i jjust found out fullscreen fixes this problem)

Last edited:

Legend

The black boxes are a little bug with the wrapper in windowed mode but I've never seen them flicker. I also have no issue exiting and starting a new rom so that's another thing going on here that has to do with your settings/comp setup.

But I'm glad the game works and works well. Glide64 saved the day again.:santa:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
A glide wrapper enables modern graphics cards that do not support Glide to run applications that use Glide for rendering graphics.

Only the old Voodoo line of graphics cards supported Glide (later OpenGL too, but OGL support sucked), and in contrast modern cards support OpenGL and Direct3D but not Glide.

Last edited:

Legend

What makes Glide64 nice is that it's ini should have all the correct settings for games. So no, you should'nt have to turn of FB effects, it should already be set like that.

Legend

Just go to the plugin config, and make sure that Hardware Frame Buffer is checked and leave it on.

A.I.

Banned
that setting shouldn't turn itself off at all :|

Um, Squall it does for me. I get an error if I have motion blur or hfbe enabled on some games. Infact just enabling glide settings can cause PJ64 to crash.

I think my computer is allergic to OpenGL somehow... :(

Iconoclast

To one of the posters,

Jabo's is no better of a plugin to use for this game than Rice's currently, because of the flickering. Maybe you have a screwed up INI for the game. The config I confirmed is below.
Code:
AccurateTextureMapping=2
NormalAlphaBlender=1
NormalColorCombiner=1
RenderToTexture=3
ScreenUpdateSetting=4
That's probably as good as the game will ever get in Rice's at least, which imo is pretty fixed from what you're all used to on the plugin. But what's with these "lightning effects" I'm hearing about? It might be possible that raised render to texture emulation may enable this effect in Rice's; I would appreciate a save state to experiment with this myself if anyone dares.

Legend

Um, Squall it does for me. I get an error if I have motion blur or hfbe enabled on some games. Infact just enabling glide settings can cause PJ64 to crash.

I think my computer is allergic to OpenGL somehow... :(

Since HWFB is not an ini controlled setting, no matter where you change HWFB (outside or inside a game) it should remain that way. The "Smart Reading" option must be on for HWFB to work and "Smart Reading" is set by the ini.

For the Mario Kart Boards to be perfect, turn on "Read every frame". Always check with the compatability list in my sig. or in the offical Glide64 package to see notes about EVERY N64 game and how to emulate it properly on Glide64, though defaults are usually fine.

Everyone use Mudlord's opengl checker to see if your vid card supports HWFB. If not then it will crash if you have this "on". And posts your specs (A.I.), it sounds like your card doesn't support HWFB. See this thread:
http://emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=40542

And changing options with no game running has never crashed any version of PJ64, so I don't know what's going on there.