What's new

Black Paper Mario?

mudlord

Banned
I think my computer is allergic to OpenGL somehow...
Do games like Doom 3,the Quake series of FPSes, Half-Life (the original, not the Source Engine port), Jedi Knight 2 run ok? If so, then your PC is not "allergic" to OGL...

It might be possible that raised render to texture emulation may enable this effect in Rice's; I would appreciate a save state to experiment with this myself if anyone dares.

Framebuffers don't effect how lighting effects in Paper Mario work..Its something internal, so no end-user options will help.

Everyone use Mudlord's opengl checker to see if your vid card supports HWFB. If not then it will crash if you have this "on". And posts your specs (A.I.), it sounds like your card doesn't support HWFB.

Correction: The framebuffer detection is for framebuffer objects (GL_EXT_framebuffer_object) only. All OGL compliant video cards should support the rewritten FB code that ziggy made (which uses the same methods as glN64, however FBOs can still be used, for computers that benefit from that). The new methods are core to OGL, so there's no real detection method for this. But in some cases for this new method, shaders are used, like in the FBO implementation

A.I.

Banned
Actually, fbe smart reading does stay on (sorry if i inferred it did) - its enabling the motion blur and hfbe that creates the error and crashes the game which turns off those two options off. Enabling Zelda corona fix with depth buffer render seems to be OK. I can see the coronas in Perfect Dark.

Basically, if i dont touch fbe then my games will run fine. eg. Video Screen works in Mario Kart, matrix mode, pause screen works in Conkers etc.

However, i do get occasional glitches. Like in Conkers for some reason sometimes if i change an option in the game like a different character, pixels shoot out like laser beams and the game can freeze, So i have to enter the game without changing the options then exit game and everything is OK. And as i said before sometimes just entering glide's graphic settings can cause the game to freeze/crash.

The only PC games I have are Quake3, Jedi Knight Academy, Elite Force 2 and they all work perfectly. My specs are in my profile BTW.

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
Framebuffers don't effect how lighting effects in Paper Mario work..Its something internal, so no end-user options will help.
Wrong. So called "2D lighting", which is responsible for sprites not being black in dark places, will not work without fb emulation.

Actually, fbe smart reading does stay on (sorry if i inferred it did) - its enabling the motion blur and hfbe that creates the error and crashes the game which turns off those two options off. Enabling Zelda corona fix with depth buffer render seems to be OK. I can see the coronas in Perfect Dark.
I think, your hardware just can't do hwfbe. It's enough to turn off only this option, leaving motion blur on.
Next, Zelda corona fix is a hack, which fixes "coronas are visible through objects" issue. I added it for people with slow CPU, who can't use depth buffer render. If you use depth buffer render, this hack must be set off.

Legend

he has a 7600GT, his hardware supports opengl 2.1.2, the problem is in the plugin.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion Squall because no one else has this issue, so it's probably not a plugin issue. It sounds more like a driver issue or setting. Are you sure you don'nt have "Extension Limit" set to "on" in the Nvidia control panel. Did get the latest files from my sig.? Try toggling options in the wrappper. Make sure you pass everything in Mudlords opengl checker. It takes 2 seconds and can be found in this thread: http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6386&page=2
This is an EXTREMELY stable and reliable plugin so you not be experiencing any kind of crashes ever!

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
i was close enough

and Legend, that depends on what drivers your using.

a few of the newer ones have removed some older extensions in favour of some more optimised versions of them (basically nvidia replaced some of the standard ogl caps with its own optimised versions)

but then again A.I... we both know your computer is kind of wierd....:/

Legend

I'm using the latest official drivers for XP - 93.71 and I experience no stability problems or other issues with Glide64. Maybe you do just have a weird computer AI. :p

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
i used them... then went back to 92.91... patched it with the 165.01 control panel and video panel and wowzer.. its the best drivers ever :D

mudlord

Banned
Wrong. So called "2D lighting", which is responsible for sprites not being black in dark places, will not work without fb emulation.

Thank you for correcting me there...I wasn't sure of the details, as I thought that it uses lighting like other games, obviously, I was wrong. So thanks for the correction :).

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
I don't remember, may be the game uses usual lighting too, as it use 3D models sometimes. But, as you know, lighting can be applied to 3D objects only, not to 2D sprites.