What's new

Pc Hardware requirements

pedrotronic

Hi...it's just to know which are the Pc hardware requirements to run properly DCEmul and the games go fine (in the readme file didn't see it)
Thanks in advanced.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
the faster your system is, the better. There are no official system requirements, as system requirements are often dependent on the games you are trying to play.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
All I can say is, a ~3GHz+ processor, at least 512MB RAM and a fairly decent video card should do just fine.

I would also suggest nullDC over Demul.

Borisz

A card that has Pixelshader is required, as for cpu, my 2ghz athlon64 runs at full 60fps. Really there arent many computers nowadays which are too slow to run it.

I believe a cpu that supports SSE1 is the bare minimum though.

Xtreme2damax

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X 2 3800+ @ 2.0 Ghz, with a Geforce 6150 LE, and I get anywheres between 46 - 55 Frames per Second with some occasional slowdowns in some areas on some games.

If you have a Celeron or Celeron D or a processor only a fraction more powerful or less powerful than a Celeron, steer clear of this emulator as it will likely run like molasses. Use NullDC or Chankast instead.

My last computer had a Celeron D 330 @ 2.66 Ghz with aa geforce FX 5500, and Demul ran very poorly at only 6 - 8 - 10 Frames per second with really bad sound.

When I finally got a new Computer with the Dual core AMD mentioned above, I saw an increase of about 30 - 35 - 38 Frames per second over my old rig in Demul;)

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
Strange, my PC (see specs in my profile) runs Demul pretty much fine for a Celeron. I'd say it is faster than Chankast, it only lacks that frame skip with 60fps games.

Xtreme2damax

Hmmm, that is strange considering the performance you get. I was only getting 8 - 10 frames per second with Demul like I said on my Celeron D 330 @ 2.66 Ghz, Geforce FX 5500 OC and 1024 Megs of Ram.

Maybe it's because your processor is faster than mine and a different model. My Celeron D in my old rig was based on the Prescott architecture.

Although I did see a slight increase in Demul when shutting down processes running in the taskbar or Processes I didn't need running, but it wasn't enough to make anything really playable.

In fact I was using Chankast because it ran a lot faster than Demul, up until the first release of NullDC came out.

Now that I got a new rig with a dual core processor, I get as mentioned 45 - 54 Frames per second without having to shut down any processes that are running.

I'm sure if I shut down the resident protection of Avast, ZoneAlarm, and my tons of other processes in the system tray I would see a small but significant boost in FPS than I'm getting now with Demul.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I'd say it is faster than Chankast, it only lacks that frame skip with 60fps games.

I heard that Chankast will be slower with Intel processors.
Athlon processors are recommended with Chankast.
That probably is why Demul is faster.

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
I heard that Chankast will be slower with Intel processors.
Athlon processors are recommended with Chankast.
That probably is why Demul is faster.

Hm, you may be right. I never could understand why my father's old 2400+ (2.0GHz real speed) Athlon would run Skies of Arcadia at almost 50% more speed than my old 2.0GHz Pentium IV. At first I thought it had to do with memory clocking because my dad's old computer had 512 MB RAM @ 400MHz, while my old Pentium IV had 1GB @ 266MHz, and 400 = 266 + 50% * 266.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Hm, you may be right. I never could understand why my father's old 2400+ (2.0GHz real speed) Athlon would run Skies of Arcadia at almost 50% more speed than my old 2.0GHz Pentium IV. At first I thought it had to do with memory clocking because my dad's old computer had 512 MB RAM @ 400MHz, while my old Pentium IV had 1GB @ 266MHz, and 400 = 266 + 50% * 266.

The Athlon XPs do more per clock. Expect 2.0 ghz to be equivalent to at least a Pentium 4 2.4 ghz, if not more, maybe 2.6 ghz, if a Northwood and likely 3.0 ghz with a Prescott!