What's new

Just having no luck at all...

RandomManA

So here I am, thinking, "Great! Looks like the DC emulator scene isn't quite dead after all." So I download Demul, get it all set up, rip the image from a copy of Blue Stinger, and 'pop it in'.

And I get......nothing. The window asking if I want to switch images doesn't even pop up, even though I told it to.

So I scope around here and find that the DX plugin doesn't work with Integrated graphics. I have absolutely NO idea what that is, but just reading that makes me think I should give OGL a try. So I re-setup everything with the new plugin (no full-screen mode? Darn it all), this time the image switch window DOES pop up, but I say, no thank you, Demul, I'm ready to play!

And I get.............nothing again.

A little frustrated and just a tad pissed, I stop and restart the emulator.

And I get....................something! Just not what I wanted. The sound plays of the Dreamcast boot sequence. But graphically, nothing happens. I stare at the Demul logo as my smile turns upside down.

Anybody got any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I'm assuming that you have an integrated graphics chip and not an actual graphics card. Make sure you have the latest drivers for the ntegrated graphics chip. That being said, if you have an Intel integrated graphics solution, it blows herds of reindeer and the DirectX graphics plugin is pretty much a no-go.

So OGL is your only option.

Then again, you might have made a poor rip, who knows. You should give nullDC a go, if just for kicks... although that graphics chip might be a hindrance with nullDC as well.

Last edited:
OP
R

RandomManA

A little update. Demul started working with OGL after I'd restarted the computer....interesting.

Just for kicks, as you say, I tried nullDC. The D3D plugin there not only craps out, but it crashes the program. So I must have integrated graphics.

As far as Demul goes, the graphics look 'okay', but the sound is horrible, and cg movies are off-sync, but the game does run at full speed. In nullDC, the graphics are horrible, but the sound is 'okay', and cg movies don't have any visuals at all, but the game runs at full speed.

I declare it a tie. But I gotta say good work to both teams, they're looking great.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I wonder why people don't use the best Dreamcast emulator available (nullDC) :/

I wonder why there are some persons that have problems with people using emulators that are not "the best" and keep mentioning "the best" every time someone has problems with "the rest".

JKKDARK

Choice. Also, maybe they don't know it is released for public use, and maybe they prefer Demul. Plus, "best" is often a very opinionated and relative term.

Sorry, I just called it "the best" because: better compatibility, no problems with the sound.
example: PSO has A LOT of graphic errors ingame with Demul.. I don't see this problem on nullDC. Sonic Shuffle freezes in the intro with Demul.. you can play the game actually with nullDC.

Tell me why nullDC is not better than Demul. I support and I like both projects, but we know which is the best. And most people here want the best emulators. Why people prefer ePSXe and not PSXeven? Because ePSXe is better.

smcd

To follow the thread derailing, a lot of people still use/talk about Nesticle, even though it's obviously trumped by more recent offerings... familiarity and other factors can influence people's choices. :)

Cybertronic

What is best....

Well seeing as how nullDC is THE ONLY DC emu that will run on My Windows 2003 with DX9c I guess that would make it the best for me anyways seeing as how I get Direct X errors with the other ones. Can't wait to try out my Wiimote on Rez :)