Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    ????????????????????????? Doomulation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by General Plot View Post
    When you finally do see one, you will notice the difference IMMEDIATELY. I guarantee it.
    Well, it's a long way off, but if I do see two films, one in SD and one in HD, I will tell you what I think. I *have* seen HD movies (on the computer), but I wasn't perticularly impressed. And I did not have any SD clip to compare to.

My overclocked Core 2 is steadily under 30-40% load while watching a Blu Ray movie. If the GPU could really take that much stress off, I'm inclined to believe that with my 7900GTX (with 512 MB video memory by the way), that's a rather high load. I think there's more processing requirement than you realize.
    Actually, the Geforce 8800 GTS has a 500 MHz clock speed and will fully decode any HD movies. The reason your CPU load is 30-40% is that 7900GTX does not fully decode the whole movie. Why? Because the drivers (and the card firmware) doesn't support it! It can only accelerate specified proportions. All this is AFAIK. Even if that does not ring true, the Geforce 8XXX series will fully decode H264 with only 500 MHz core speed.

And keep in mind, the PS3 may have a Cell processor, but standalone players are not going to come with as much horsepower as a next gen game console.
    Maybe you haven't heard? But the Cell processor was designed in mind for media applications and Sony (and other companies AFAIK) is already putting the Cell processor into their HD players.
    Atashi wa juu-yon-sai no onna no ko! Atashi no namae wa Miizuki. Yurushiku ne!
    Nani? Atashi o shinjirimasen desu ka? Baka!
    "You're all doomed! Doomed, I say! Hehe... are we approaching the end of the world?"

shikata ga kaite aru - "the instructions are written above"
    Need to download GoodN64 or instructions to use it? Need to check if it's a good or bad rom?
    Download: Glide64 | Hacktarux's wrapper

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, some of you are getting a little bit too hot over this and you're becoming irrational. I'll sort through some of this.

Issue #1: HD-DVD/BD offers nothing new in quality on a standard TV.
    This is true. If you have a normal TV, don't bother with either of the "next-gen" formats. You will feel ripped off. If you have an HDTV, then okay. I would still recommend waiting a while before investing in one, though. Why? For the same reason you wait after a new console comes out. Let them weed out the bugs and glitches first.

Issue #2: Neither HD-DVD or BD offer lossless support.
    Where the hell did you hear this? Of course they do!

My own thoughts:
    To be honest, I will not be rushing out to buy any new player any time soon. The DVD has plenty life in it yet and I don't see HD going standard any time soon, either. I own a regular TV and I'm plenty happy with my DVD player. I don't need to go out blowing my money on a player that may not pan out in the long-run.

The differences between DVD and both BD and HD-DVD are not enough to warrant spending so much money on. Look at how much better DVD was compared to VHS. The difference was huge! Most people do not and will never notice a difference, unless they own an HDTV. In most cases, they don't.

Maybe in five years, enough people will own HDTV's that it'll become standard. By then a better format than BD or HD-DVD will be out. My own conclusion, save your money. Neither player is worth it. In the long-run, you'll be wishing you hadn't bought them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YourNobody View Post
    Issue #2: Neither HD-DVD or BD offer lossless support.
    Where the hell did you hear this? Of course they do!
    They both support lossless audio, but AFAIK neither specification supports lossless video. (There is a way to have lossless H.264 video, but I don't think Blu-ray or HD-DVD specifications support that encoding profile. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.) Not a big letdown though, as a losslessly encoded HD movie would never fit on either medium with current compression techniques.

????????????????????????? Doomulation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
    ...Not a big letdown though, as a losslessly encoded HD movie would never fit on either medium with current compression techniques.
    Nail on the head I think. Lossless is huge and neither format has enough space to fit one. Maybe when they go up in space, they'll have enough space for lossless SD in H264, but never HD.

Atashi wa juu-yon-sai no onna no ko! Atashi no namae wa Miizuki. Yurushiku ne!
    Nani? Atashi o shinjirimasen desu ka? Baka!
    "You're all doomed! Doomed, I say! Hehe... are we approaching the end of the world?"

shikata ga kaite aru - "the instructions are written above"
    Need to download GoodN64 or instructions to use it? Need to check if it's a good or bad rom?
    Download: Glide64 | Hacktarux's wrapper

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678