What's new

Rice's HiRez Texturing plugin <Developement> (DO NOT POST HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudlord

Banned
Note: This is a unofficial build. It is not fully endorsed by Rice (the original developer of Rice Video), and so this shouldn't be classed as, in any way, as an official release.

Disclaimer:
The individuals responsible for these releases are not responsible for any damage at all occurred to you, your significant other, your pets OR your personal computer in the event that something might (and probably will) go wrong...Use these at entirely your own risk. These carry NO warranty, and are given as-is.

These terms are of high relevance to the development build, yet they also apply to all code/documentation released with this effort, too.

Remember: You don't have to use these if you don't want to, there is zero obligation...No one is stopping you not using these, it is entirely your choice...

--end standard disclaimers

Requested Features (feature requests removed when completely fufilled)

* Aspect ratio handling
* Anaglyph graphics rendering

To Do

Documentation:
- Add debugger section

Development Version:
- Complete aspect ratio stuff (eventually)
- Add aspect ratio handling for D3D renderer
- Fix framebuffers in DX9 renderer (render target/backbuffer copies)
- Finalise parsers for CFG file and HLSL effects

Source code: https://svn.bountysource.com/ricevideo/trunk
Downloads: https://ricevideo.bountysource.com/downloads
(Make sure to RTFM for changes and the FAQ)

Last edited:

Cyberman

New Thread etc

First this thread will be HEAVILY moderated. Do NOT post problems with the plugin here. That is the DISCUSION thread. New Feature requests belong in discussion GO THERE instead, (first part of thread) any addition will be specifically about features implemented so it's in one place. Discussion is for bugs. I will move anything about a bug to the discussion thread, unless it's by mudlord. In simple terms do not post here unless you are a moderator or developer.

Anything about USING the plugin goes in discussion. This is entirely about developement and suggestions. These questions will be moved to discussion. The old thread is now the discussion thread.

Have fun (I've stickied this thread too).

Cyb

Last edited:
OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Thanks for that Cyberman. :)

I'm gonna take a look at the current situation with mingw, Code::Blocks and the source, to see how much Visual C++ dependant code there is. Hopefully, when Hacktarux, if he gets the chance, posts his source code to the Linux port, the process might be somewhat easier to accomplish.

Also, I had a much deeper look into Enzo Dragon's feature requests. I'm definately gonna see about the aspect ratio stuff, but it would be nice to know precisely what he wants to do (it seems to me like we have to play with viewports and scaling here....).

As for the custom shaders, I found a solution to one of the problems. Due to my ignorance, I forgot about the hardware T&L code, which has things that are needed for shader processing. That leaves working out what texture to process, and the technique code to do the shader passes...which shouldnt be that difficult.

For the hi-res stuff, that will be a ongoing thing, I guess, like with cooliscool's recent discoveries. :)

Last edited:
OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
I added the debugger plugin (for the devs around here...)

Note: There is a problem when dumping and loading hi-res textures. Through my testing, it seems that BMGLib is at fault here....

So, be careful guys (and gals)

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Please note that development builds are not well tested. Therefore, they are consider like betas, if you will. Bugs might popup, so please be careful when you are using these builds which have bleeding-edge code.

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
OK,

I am getting reports of people experiencing crashes whenever hi-res textures are loaded...This is quite serious.

I'll try to find where this problem cropped up.

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
It uses Direct3D9.

I intend though, to be able to use similar techniques in OpenGL those special effects...

By the way, just to let you know, I'm having difficulties still in porting the plugin to mingw/gcc, I was wondering how far your progress is in that...

Last edited:
OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
So far I started to track where the hi-res loading screws up...

I also started to consider the current requested features. Cyberman's suggestion of showing GFX card info will be in the next stable build. Its rather simple, I just used the same Win32 API C++ code as I did in my "gltest.exe" update for Hacktarux's wrapper, so adding it was a extremely simple task.

klasa's suggestions of increasing texture size are also taken on board, due to some info said by Rice relating to texture scaling in the past, which was very helpful in learning more about hi-res texturing practises (since I'm a noob when it comes to hi-res textures and hi-res texture creation). In addition, his idea on selecting precise control over what needs to be done seems pretty cool, so I'm thinking about that too...

What has also got me thinking is what people consider to be unique in a plugin. Some people might see hi-res texturing as unique, and also wireframe rendering. And also that the plugin is VERY configurable. One thing that has really impressed me though, was the use of custom rendering in Pete's OpenGL2 PSX plugin. Many people know of the work that guest(r), ShadX, and other shader coders have done, to make Pete's plugin one of a kind. In addition, many people in the past have seen work by the coder Orkin to be unique too, in regards to his cel-shading approach, via the use of code, and not textures...

Basically, what I am trying to say is, that this idea has also been taken into consideration too, since people seem to like nice graphics stuff...I beleive that disclosure of things isn't a bad thing (like what Jabo talked about in his presentation of his rendering of MK64's monitor), so here are some little more explicit examples of what is in development....

Last edited:

Sirmatto

It uses Direct3D9.

I intend though, to be able to use similar techniques in OpenGL those special effects...

By the way, just to let you know, I'm having difficulties still in porting the plugin to mingw/gcc, I was wondering how far your progress is in that...

I was able to get some some errors cleared, but some of the Microsoft specific stuff is a bit above me, which means we might have to wait until Hacktarux releases his next version of Mupen64 and (hopefully) in turn his source to Rice.

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Oh, alright :). That way, it also might be easier to backport to use mingw and Win32 API code. (that is, if Hacktarux is using SDL and GTK2 for his gcc linux port)

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
I did some testing with Enzo's bugs..

I couldnt find a issue with changing render engines, but he made a good point about the aspect ratio handling. For it to work in widescreen, its expected that widescreen resolutions are used. To play it safe, I'm gonna add some more checks to check whether fullscreen or not is used. Then, I apply the aspect ratio calculations on the different variables, based on whether its in fullscreen or not. Hopefully, DirectX 8/9 will get similar treatment too.

I'm also going to research ways to force aspect ratios, like Jabo's current work.....Also, I'm doing a fair bit more testing into the texture pack issues, when I get the chance. Several personal commitments like university are eating up my time currently, but with proper time management, you guys wont notice it :)...

However, VS2005 is being a bitch atm...which is annoying like with crashing etc when I try to add new DLG items in the resource editor, which makes it hard, I might get the new service pack for it, maybe the bugs in VS then be less annoying.

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
I did some further research....

I'm considering, in order to help fix up the packaging sides of things, making a scripted installer. Thus, when my current D3D9 stuff is stable enough for public use, it can be used to package the normal D3D8/OGL plugin too...Also, I'm deeply considering porting the plugin to use INI files, that might help in reporting issues too.....

Anywayz, well I hope to fix up entirely that hi-res stuff, and then this can be something everyone can play with..

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Just another update..

College work has been my main priority these last couple of weeks, which explains the lull in activity done on this as of late (since I havent touched the source for a while). Next week, I will have time to continue sorting through and developing this, along with finally adding what people requested..I'm hoping to add stuff one bit at a time, since that will help tracking breaks.

Oh, and btw, the Rice Video subversion server is down atm...which is on the same server as the NRage subversion one.

Itll be back up when the NRage one is back up.

EDIT: Subversion server is back up

Last edited:
OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
No prob dude.

Okie dokie....

After a shitload of testing, hi-res tex loading is working! Now this is usable for the retexturers out there. (if for ever reason its STILL not working, I'll scream..Really...I did testing on all the packs I used and they all now work....)

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
The crashing problems started with build 47, and its threading changes.

So, as consolation, versions before that particular build will work.
for that bowling bug, try this. it fixes dkr and zelda, so it could potentially fix your bugs.

OP
mudlord

mudlord

Banned
Just a notice, the updated builds might give some certain antivirus programs issues...The notices and errors that they raise are false positives..There is zero malicious code in the plugins and the source proves it. I most likely will do a big SVN commit, which is long overdue...

Status
Not open for further replies.