Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As was mentioned before, each game can produce sound differently, so there is no one-size-fits-all method of replacing sound in a game. If you don't think it's complicated, try your hand at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
    As was mentioned before, each game can produce sound differently, so there is no one-size-fits-all method of replacing sound in a game. If you don't think it's complicated, try your hand at it.
    Why are sound plugins possible, then, if there is no consistency? It's very interesting.

Teh_Masterer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not saying the software part is easy, nor am I saying it's possible. I'm just saying that the problem lies in software, not in creating new music itself.
    I AM TEH PWNAGE

Graphics artist, so ask me for anything you need photoshop

PC Specs: AMD 64 Athlon 3000+, GeForce 6800 XT, 2 Gigs of RAM

Visit My Website For Free High-Resolution Wallpapers, Links to Awesome Sites, and Muhc More!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo Dragon View Post
    Why are sound plugins possible, then, if there is no consistency? It's very interesting.
    That's sort of like asking, "Why are sound cards possible when computers have so many ways of creating sound data?" The CPU is responsible for generating sound data. The sound hardware is only responsible for turning that data into sound (or at least electrical impulses that mimic sound). Sound plugins, which replace the original console's sound hardware, are equally 'ignorant' of how the sound data was generated and where it came from. They take the sound samples generated by the CPU and send them to the host platform's sound hardware indiscriminately. That's a fairly simple explanation, but AFAIK, that's the way it works. (Anyone more knowledgeable than I is welcome to correct me or elaborate if need be.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the way texture replacement works is by quickly calculating a hash of the image loaded into the N64's gpu and seeing if a file exists under that file name and if so loading that instead of using the original texture buffer. I'm not sure how it works on N64 but often times music is only streamed and not loaded all at once which would make hashing impossible and it wouldn't be able to work this way. The graphics and sound subsystems are very different, the game feeds the sound processor an audio signal and maybe some info about volume gain and channel balance but with graphics the entire image is loaded into a buffer and then a pointer to that buffer is given to the GPU and the GPU is able to differentiate between different textures if it wanted to. This is why there's not much you can replace in a rom with this method, models aren't given to the GPU all at once only vertex by vertex so the GPU doesn't know which vertex starts and ends a particular model also making hashing impossible for model/geometry replacement. If the plugin knew how each particular rom loaded sounds, models, or anything like that then maybe it could do replacements.
    Last edited by Reaper666; January 6th, 2007 at 15:43.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright. I sorta' get this now. Thanks, Toasty and Reaper.

So does this mean that any sort of audio replacement project would have to be ROM specific? That is, an audio plug-in designed to understand the sound method of a specific game?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The only way I can think of doing any sound replacement is to use HLE. This looks for library calls, for performing certain functions within the game. This may require more than just a plugin make over to do therefore.

The playstation emulators do not have this feature. FF7 for the PC does (hacked by happy people), to provide better sound. This is not an easy feature to implement. Really the only way to implement it without pulling teeth appears to be via HLE (IE look for library calls to sound playing routines).

Cyb
    Progress (n.):
    The process through which the Internet has evolved from smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart terminals.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recursive (adj):
    see Recursive

yekolf
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i dont think you should compare the music to the textures, you should compare it to the models

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i got a question ,is it possible to create a audio plugin with mp3 player in it,

for using it we should rename the mp3 trak with the phisical name in the rom (like texture pack in rice)
    and when the plugin load the n64 sound with the same adress as the mp3 the plugin continue emulate sound but dont output it and instead run the mp3 player?
    i know it seems to be a bit messy and all the mp3 sound pack can be realy dificult to rename
    but it can be ok if we got a prog witch give the corect names of the music in a txt file i think...or output wawe or mp3 sound with the corect name

????????????????????????? Doomulation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did you read what zilmar wrote on the first page? In short, no, it won't be possible unless you want to do game specific hacks, which will require a lot of time.
    Atashi wa juu-yon-sai no onna no ko! Atashi no namae wa Miizuki. Yurushiku ne!
    Nani? Atashi o shinjirimasen desu ka? Baka!
    "You're all doomed! Doomed, I say! Hehe... are we approaching the end of the world?"

shikata ga kaite aru - "the instructions are written above"
    Need to download GoodN64 or instructions to use it? Need to check if it's a good or bad rom?
    Download: Glide64 | Hacktarux's wrapper

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast