What's new

glN64 and anisotropic filtering

braddabug

I created a patch that adds anisotropic filtering to glN64. I know it works on Linux, but I haven't tried it on any other platforms. I think it improves the graphics a little bit. If there's any problems with it let me know. Any decent graphics card made the the past five years or so should support it.

Merry Christmas!

mudlord

Banned
braddabug,

I have used your code to implement anisotrophic filtering into the Windows port :). I hope you don't mind. I just thought that Windows users might benefit from this, too. Attached is my changes, and a Windows plugin DLL of it.

EDIT: Updated DLL, now the Registry settings involving the new filtering setting should be saved properly. Was a lame bug introduced by me for adding this in a 2 minute rush.

Last edited:
OP
B

braddabug

Hey, that's cool.

Just out of curiosity, why is the Windows version using straight Win32 to create the OpenGL context, and the Linux version is using SDL? Why not just use SDL for both?

mudlord

Banned
I have no idea. Maybe it was a plugin size thing for Orkin to do so..or maybe he's not familiar with SDL. Or maybe, he didnt even intend for this to be a cross-platform plugin.

But I agree. Both ports should use the same base, that way there is less trouble with maintaining ports. But, I don't know how good SDL's Windows OpenGL implementation is.

OP
B

braddabug

I've used SDL with OpenGL on Windows a good bit, and it works fine for me. It shouldn't really take any time at all to switch the Windows code to SDL either.

Does anyone still maintain Mupen?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Thanks for the patch.

Yea, i didn't have enough time to maintain mupen64 during the last year, but i'm planning to restart improving it now.

To answer your question, using SDL for windows plugins is not really possible as it would be tricky to have the graphics displayed inside emulators gui as it is right now and it would break compatibility with the available input plugins: on windows you need the windows handler if you want key status and it is hidden by sdl for portability. Well... it's usual windows mess but we don't have the choice and it has to be done the way it has been ;) Anyway, the only part that really changes is the initilization, the rest is strictly identical.