What's new

N64 Port for PS2!!!!

Xebozone

YES! It has been done!

unortunately, it hasn't (and will not) been released.

Now it is up to you people to release it!

Just look at this page:

Otaku No Zoku - Feature - M.A.M.E. for Sony PlayStation 2

This person said the following:

"Getting the N64 emulator up was a much easier task and with only a few tweaks and a little optimisation it is running a good 55fps. With some thougth given to the 3D rendering and harnessing the full power of the PS2 I expect to have an N64 emulator running at 150% to 200% of the speed of the actual console."

Surely, porting 1964 (or some other emulator) to the PS2 will not be too difficult?

I cannot code...but I'm sure someone on these forums can!

OP
X

Xebozone

yes, I know...but many have thought of it as IMPOSSIBLE, and have not even ATTEMPTED to try?

Here is proof that it IS POSSIBLE!

Sirmatto

Considering a port of the PC (x86 architecture) version 1964 to the Xbox (also x64 architecture), which required minimal tweaking, could barely run most games even close to full speed, and now he is saying that a port to the PlayStation 2 (RISC architecture), is able to run 50% to 100% faster than not only the original console, but also the significantly faster Xbox? Compare these specs:

CPU:
294 MHz vs. 733 MHz - while this is moot when comparing most different architectures, the difference is significant

Graphics:
4 dedicated + 32 shared for the PS2 vs. 64 shared for the Xbox

I think he is just trying to get himself a name in the news more than anything.

Edit: Note I am not saying this is impossible, but improbable, considering he would have to port across architectures, and even when/if he did, it would not run anywhere near full speed.

Toasty

Sony battery
I share Clements' skepticism, but I do think with lots of work, decent speed N64 emulation could be possible on the PS2. The two consoles actually share a few helpful similarities, including having an almost backwards-compatible instruction set (this could potentially offer a lot of room for optimizations in code translation). Hard work, but who knows how far it could go until someone does it? :)

Flash

Technomage
Corn-like "ROM player" for SM64/SF64/MK64 ? Yes, it possible,actually it can be very fast.

Full-fledged N64 emulator ? Never. It's simple - not enough RAM, not enough "horsepower" for framebuffer emulation and other cpu-heavy tasks.
RAM is the main problem - in Neo-Geo emulator for PSP it's possible to decrypt, decompress and reorder gfx/sfx data, then load it from memstick (NJ actually did it in his MVSPSP/CPS2PSP) In PS2 there's no drive with transfer rate enough to do that kind of trick, DVD is slow, access time is waaay too high, USB drive - even slower, it's USB 1.1

Hard drive ? it can be installed only in pre-v9 consoles, NA soon will become very rare thing, try to find BBA for DC or GC, it not easy (well, you can connect HDD to some slim PS2s, but it requires a lot of soldering, and it's waaaaay more difficult than modchip installation, plus you need a new case )

zilmar

Emulator Developer
look at how much work has had to be done for running n64 on the psp, it is not just take source tweak, done. There is a signifcant amount of re-writing to get it working.

Taking mupen source would be more believeable