What's new

DEmul v0.1

Hawq

Anyone got any hints on how to configure controls for this thing?, everytime i go to do so I get the error Borisz had, well if a pads plugged in that is, take the pad out I dont get the error but I cant configure the controls either it just wont let me do it, this of course prevents the emulator from starting to do its thing.

Last edited:

jairolas

Oh, thank you very much, sonic adventures 2 runs about 30 fps and sound quality is good, nice emu! :sombrero:

A screenshot from SA2 by me =P

F

fbff

Anyone got any hints on how to configure controls for this thing?, everytime i go to do so I get the error Borisz had, well if a pads plugged in that is, take the pad out I dont get the error but I cant configure the controls either it just wont let me do it, this of course prevents the emulator from starting to do its thing.

I could configure it for keyboard controls after disabling all of my game controllers in the control panel and by checking the "Standard/Alternative" option within the Game Pad config of the emulator.

CaH4e3

Pad configuration Dialog can bind any button on keyboard or joypads to any desired action buttons. But you should realise, that "PORT" option in "Bios&Plugins" menu set up DC controller desired to be insterted to "console".

"Controller" it is generic DC PAD, use additional port options to set VMU/VMS memory or Rumble to desired Controller.
"Keyboard" option means you want to use DC Keyboard as controller and of course couldn't be used for many games as controller since it needn't binding it uses exact keyboard pressings as input...

Hawq

I could configure it for keyboard controls after disabling all of my game controllers in the control panel and by checking the "Standard/Alternative" option within the Game Pad config of the emulator.
Strangely that worked today, very odd as the other day nothing worked, ah well at least it worked this time & its configured, thanks.

sabrespectre

It's Great

The emulator runs very well, only the sound is bad. I take 40~50 fps in game (ikaruga). It's about 20% more slow than chankast. And i don't have any problem with joys. Mine work's perfect. I hope that good work continues...............:bouncy:

gekidami

this rocks, there may still be hope for DC emulation!!

I only tried 1 game, Chu Chu Rocket, perfect speed, only problem is the sound and some stuff on the menues have big black squares around them

PLEASE keep working on this emu, i think this is the only DC emulator left (i mean that hasnt been abandoned)

bobablob

Street Fighter III - Third Strike

Works pretty well. Need to enable a few checkmarks and set the TMU to 8:1 but it runs at about 55 FPS with the DirectX plugin, albeit with a few graphical issues. OpenGL looks a lot better but I can only pull about 33 FPS with it.

Really looking forward to seeing more from this emulator, as this first release is incredibly promising.

Thanks a lot guys, keep up the good work!

Ochen Xorosho!

Leeloo

First, great thanks to Demul Team for your work !

My first try was Under Defeat and it worked not so bad : i noticed only minor graphic glitches on smokes of explosions (like in Chankast), sounds are still imperfect, in-game saves with memory card work well...
=> you can add a green point for Under Defeat to the compatibility list :)

The only drawback is the speed, but it will not stay a problem, isn't it ? ;)

spotanjo3

GOod job on this project. I am not fan of dreamcast but I liked some games so keep up the good work. The next version will be improvement. PEACE OUT!

fire_dragon

For me it works fine (slow though cause of my poor CPU). 3 gamepads work well, one doesn't and gives the error mentioned before, when its unplugged everthing works well. Save State also works nicely, Shenmue got some music from time to time also, but chopped since I don't run fullspeed. You can also nicely play from CD, well not original CD (GD?) though, but the releases from before.

Finally there is light at the end of the tunnel ... in DC emulation :D

great work guys

Paddy

DEmul possible SHAM

Hi .....

I beleave DEmul to be fake , i think it is a (broken) early source or possible hacked encrypted/decrypted binary taken from chankast.

This emulator has far too many similarities to the chankast emulator and
there are possible hints from the readme file that comes with it that SOURCE
is the main progression with DEmul and that prommises of source seem like
they are just round the corner (mabe because a broken source) is all they have and want someone with more knowledge to do something with it.

From looking at several dreamcast games running on DEmul i can see far too
many similarities to chankast that i find very strange and suspicious , but apart
from that i also see two very suspect signs that look like data loss if you were
to decrypt an emulator binary and recompile it.

The frame rate indicator on DEmul is ridiculously inaccurate and looks like
a poor atempt at such an easy peice of code , something that should be extremely
easy to do for someone with tallents in writing an emulator, also it looks more like
a plugin adaptation for a frame counter and the main reason a frame rate plugin would be soo inaccurate would be that it is running with broken code.

Sound emulation also suffers in a big way if you are to recompile something
that was already locked down and the sound emulation to me looks broken,not unemulated or prilimenary.The sound emulation at a glance is something you would beleave in and think was proof that this emulator is a true build but sound can also hold many secrets and is an easy sign that its either unemulated or simply broken.Also broken is the keymap layout and interface functions,this
added with the last two problems is certainly suspicious and does make me wonder.

From looking at the actual graphic display emulation ,its amazing how similar the bugs from early and late chankast builds are exactly the same on two supposedly completly different graphics plugins when dreamcast hardware shouldnt be hard to display and we are not talking N64 emulation here , were this simularity could be more understanded even tho this doesnt happen with n64 graphics plugins.

Finaly , looking at DEmul and the list of avilable user options, i can see functions that are identical to chankast's only worded differently ie ,the capcom hack,tmu timing and there are others.

I personaly dont want this to be true as i love sega dreamcast and i am a long time fan of emulation and really really want a dreamcast emulator,but i cant help that a few things need to be addressed and i really do hope i am completly wrong.

ps , Please accept my apologies if i am wrong , and i DO wish the DEmul team
my best wishes.

Last edited:

smcd

The "emulation binary" of chankast is not encrypted, so there'd be nothing to decrypt in the first place. Also, chankast didn't really have plugin support, which demul does. It doesn't appear to be a ripoff/hack of chankast. OK, so there are menu similarities... this occurs in nearly every emulator for any system (NES, SNES, etc).

Paddy

Have a look at casini version 4 , it now has plugin support with added d3d, open gl and even 3dfx voodoo plugin driver dll ssupport and lots of other enhancments but it is still a hack of giri giri and will never do anything more than giri giri.And (chankast has a binary) as do all emulators AND windows programs for that matter.

cheers

ector

Emulator Developer
I can tell you that the Dreamcast GFX chip has some peculiarities that are impossible/near impossible to do correctly on modern GPU:s, which leads to similar graphics glitches cropping up. I wrote the GFX plugin for Icarus (that never was released) and we had glitches that are very similar to what Chankast has, for example.

Frame rate counting and things like that in emulators can be very unreliable if the game doesn't use the hardware the way you expect..

I haven't even tried Demul yet, but I don't believe for a second that it's a ripoff of Chankast. Similar menu structures means nothing, Dolwin basically copied Dolphin's menus for example :)

EDIT: Tested it for a bit. This is not Chankast.

EDIT2: Also Paddy, reading your post again, your notions about decompiling "data loss" and stuff are completely ridiculous.

Last edited:

Paddy

hi ector !

That coming from you does settle me a bit as i know you have worked very hard
at dreamcast emulation and will know infinantly more about the dreamcast structure than most including me.

These are no more than fears i have about the current dreamcast emulation and DEmul , i do apologize to the DEmul team that i have these suspisions and wish them great sucess in emulating the dreamcast, i just think it right to voice my opinion on this and wondered if anyone else had thoughts about this.

cheers

(i would say my wording is pretty bad as i didnt state that these are fears nor did i generally ask what others thoughts were in regards to what i was thinking, also i shouldnt have said that i believe it to be a hoax or a fake.)

i hope in conclusion everyone see's that i am not here to blast the DEmul team nor anyone else, just wanted to know what others are thinking.

Last edited: