What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

mdta & Community OoT Re-texturing in Twilight Princess Style

mdtauk

Zelda Hi-Res Texturer
zelda-oot-tp-style.jpg

Now after working on 4 of these Zelda Projects so far, I know my limits and I know my strengths. The Cel-Majora's Mask project has shown me that if a project is to ever be finished, without requiring me or the texture artists a LONG break to recover from the hard work, then the burden needs to be shared.

So this is the announcement of a Community Project to Re-texture OoT in the style of Twilight Princess, (or at least inspired by its art style)

What this means, is that anyone can submit a single texture or more to be included in the pack, along with the original tile/s (so we can see what replaces what) as well as telling us, what the texture is, and where in the game it is used.

Some of the bigger hurdles will be the Skies, Characters, and of course the big tiled pre-rendered backdrops - Full Screen Ones still unable to be done.

I will take on the difficult task of working on the HUD, Icons, Text, Menus, Captions, and Logos. I have access to the same letter-shapes used in-game, sadly not complete fonts (if anyone has fontworks or dynafont japanese font collections, please get in touch).

And if people's submissions stand out as perfect, we could allocate tasks, like the sky or character designs to them etc.

I will just end this post by saying, the post below this, will be updated when progress is made with this project. Screens are welcome, but we should try to avoid posting lots of incomplete packs for the present, and when we start picking which textures make the grade and get included in the final pack, we can then perhaps make small packs with these completed tiles in.

So get your graphics apps open, and start working, dont forget to check as many Screenshots of Twilight Princess, to ensure your work uses the same kind of style, Oh and using filters on existing textures, isn't really on, unless it looks like something from TP and looks good, then it may be allowed. The biggest and best contributers to this endeavor, will be the ones judging which textures make it or not, so try your best!

OP
mdtauk

mdtauk

Zelda Hi-Res Texturer
oot-tp-logo.gif

Nov 8 2006
The Title Screen Logos and Copyrights are done. And just for the hell of it, the Japanese Subtitle is done also (I will not be re-doing the Japanese version's text and menus - I dont know it well enough)

Last edited:

Unusual_Rex

珍しい&#2957
Very nice! If you want me to do some textures just upload them and I'll give it a shot!

Terranigma

Man, I KNEW someone would start a project like this sooner or later! Check through one of the Zelda threads, I called it months ago.

Yes, it looks very cool. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

macphisto

The trouble with this is that not many of the Twilight Princess textures have been seen or the overall visualisation of it. I have seen the textures in TP's Hyrule Field, and I must say that they could easily be surpassed with this plug in. I might add one or two contributions.

OP
mdtauk

mdtauk

Zelda Hi-Res Texturer
Attached are images of the New Title Screens...

That shield texture, is the Ocarina of Time Design one resized and filtered which isnt really good.

I have attached a picture of the new Shield design, for people to work from.

Last edited:

Unusual_Rex

珍しい&#2957
Yeah, I'm not really good at doing textures lol but hey I tried :) I'll work on the ones you posted. Thanks for the criticism :)!

I tried to make it sorta like the above one (as you can see I removed the triforce piece from my shield at the bottom).

Also do you have and tips for me on how to give it a more realistic effect or will it just come with practice?

Last edited:

Xenobond

Double 0 Reject
It's not that different than the Ocarina of Time shield, just has a few pieces added/removed and in different order.

And for tips on how to make a more realistic effect-
Quit using photoshop filters. Only a few of them are any good. And it involves more than just overlaying it on top of the old texture.

Heres an example of the one I had done a while back-

Last edited:

Unusual_Rex

珍しい&#2957
Okay, what are some good ones? Are there any good tools I should be using or will this also just come with practice? BTW nice shield! Do you make the designs from scratch or edit them?

Xenobond

Double 0 Reject
All made by scratch. I only used the original texture to make sure things were in/near the same spot as they were originally.

Heres the filters I use the most (i.e. more than once a month)

Unsharp Mask- Used after I finish and save a flattened image out. brings out a little more detail without all the grain from a regular sharpen filter.

Highpass- Used on photo overlays to even out lighting differences. Used in conjunction with Edit > Fade... (set to luminosity).

THAT IS IT

Maybe once every two months I'd use guassian blur, but not for textures.

Everything else is done with layers, layer effects and layer blending effects (drop shadow, inner glow, outer glow, bevel, etc) but then I paint again on top of those layers to make them appear more natural, and less like it was straight out of the bevel effect.

Dodge & Burn tool is a poor tool to use, as well. Use the regular brush, but experiment with the 'mode' on it. Overlay and Hard Light work the best. It's almost like using dodge/burn but with color added to it.

Unusual_Rex

珍しい&#2957
Okay, thanks for the input, also when you start stuff from scratch do you just draw the general shape then add the colours?

OP
mdtauk

mdtauk

Zelda Hi-Res Texturer
As it stands, its not enough to make him new Link, but it looks good!

Last edited:

Unusual_Rex

珍しい&#2957
I was wondering if some kind hearted fellow on this board could possibly upload all adult Link textures? Or atleast post the names of the files? I'm, really sorry but I have trouble telling the difference between adult Link and young Link textures sadly.

Last edited:

macphisto

Save the game as adult link in a small area of the game like inside a hut. Delete the dump folder, then go back to the saved game and re-dump the textures, this way you should only have adult Link textures in the folder.