What's new

No 3-D effect in games like Rad Racer/ World Runner?

Legend

I was very excited when I found out that there were 3-D games for the nes (the 2 in the title). But both don't work when you press select and enter 3-D mode-they flicker and it doesn't work. I tried various roms and all don't work. There was one more 3-D game, a sequel to WR, called JJ and it too does not display 3-D properly. Is this a setting of mine that's off or what? Thanks.

OP
Legend

Legend

Someone's got to have Rad Racer. Can you go to 3-D mode and see if it looks OK, so this can be more of an official bug to be worked on.

WhiteX

I guess it is supposed to flicker blue and red, i tried it on Nester, not Jnes, and it worked.

OP
Legend

Legend

OK, this is definetly bug that I hope Jabo is willing to work on. Nester emulates it correctly. The red and blue sections are steady and overall it appears to flicker a little but this looks perfectly normal and 3-D.

With Jnes, even on the lowest res., the blue and red parts flicker back and forth making it impossible to get 3-dimensionality. It definetly is not emulated correctly sorry to say. Let me know Jabo if you think you can fix this or if you have some ideas, so I can wait patiently. Thanks. :bouncy:

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Hey legend I'm not an expert in that game can you post screenshots of the issue and a description of what you think is wrong ? How to reproduce etc

Worst case even if I can't fix it easily, i can add it to the bug tracker and give you creds :p

OP
Legend

Legend

There screens don't really show anything because 1 frame is red and the next frame is blue which is probably how the Nintendo intended it. But the effect just doesn't turn out right with how Jnes put frames onto the screen I guess.

1. Launch Rad Racer
2. From the main menu, press Start
3. Once in-game, press Select to go 3-D
4. Compare results with Nester (perferably with 3-D glasses but not neccessary)

Results: Observe how much more flicker there is with Jnes, thus destroying the
3-D effect.

Last edited:

hap

PC monitors don't run at the NES (NTSC) refresh rate. Does it perform better if you set your monitor refresh rate frequency to 60Hz, and enable vsync/wait for vblank in Jnes (if it has such an option)?

OP
Legend

Legend

It did'nt make any difference. I don't think the refresh rate matters as much as how Jnes throw frames at the screen. And Jnes doesn't have any option to enforce Vsync or anything. And again, with Nester it appears to work OK. Thans though.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
I think I see what you mean by the flickering, the whole 3D thing is kind of a peculiar. as far as fixing it i'll see what i can come up with if I ever get time to play around with it again