What's new

SSF 0.08 released

Hawq

Ver0.08 alpha' is out now, though of course there be engrish in the worldlingo translation:
In addition, you did.
When surface address of texture has become 16 byte boundary
Being convinced, the program it united.

Ver0 which it corrected.08 alpha'[wo] it is raised.
It is the expectation which has stopped falling with state saving.

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
Well, it is definetly better! I am having none of the issues I had previously with prior versions. FEDA runs smoothly. But I've noticed one thing, not to do with the game but in the window size it says 1x and 2x, but ironically 1x is 2x true screen size XD

OP
Lord Darkstorm

Lord Darkstorm

Great sage, equal of heaven
Alpha R2 has been released. Among other changes, there have been some graphical updates, so I'm off to test SF3. ^_^

Homiker

I just tried this emulator with a rip of Panzer Dragoon Zwei by mounting the image with Alcohol 120%

The game loads fine through the SEGA screen and the intro is incredibly laggy when in window mode and pitch-black in full screen mode, though audio is still playing. After, skipping the intro, the screen simply remains black and I have no idea how to rectify it.

Here are my emulator specifications:
Saturn Bios- Sega_101.bin
STV Bios- stv110.bin
CD Drive- AXV CD/DVD-ROM
Cartridge- 4MBytes RAM Cartridge
Area Code- Europe, Australia, South Africa

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Borisz

My guess is that you are playing a PAL copy. SSF is confused about the PAL resolution and will switch to NTSC resolutions in fullscreen mode, resulting in either a blank screen (in D3D mode) or a crash (in Directdraw mode).

Ways to fix it:
1- use a genuine NTSC image
2- add a custom resolution to your video card that matches the PAL mode (which should be 704x512).

This will only fix PAL games running at 352 vertical resolution though, but Panzer Dragoon Zwei is one of those games.

For the skipping - your computer may be just too slow.

Homiker

Thanks for the reply, you were right. I tried another version of Panzer Dragoon Zwei and it is now playable with few visual errors. Also, the motion was much more fluid in both full screen and window mode.

I used Sega_101.bin as the Saturn Bios. But I still have a question concerning the recommended settings. My desire is to have the best performance. For example, would disabling Scanlines, enabling Enforce Aspect Ratio and DirectDraw, be a good idea?

The reason I'm thinking of using aspect ratio is because the screen is a little too much to the left when in fullscreen mode.

Borisz

Aspect ratio has no effect in fullscreen mode. no point in messing with it anyway, the game should fill your screen and you will get the same aspect ratio that your monitor has.

Adjust your monitor to get rid of the black lines.

Scanlines doesnt have much effect on performance (it just blanks out every 2nd line for games that don't run in high resolutions). Directdraw may give you a speed boost, many people said that SSF runs faster for them in DD mode.

If you want the best performance, get a dual core cpu (core duo 2 recommended, Athlon X2 aint bad either, but its phasing out from the market).
Or to get rid of chopping, enable VSync and move to fullscreenmode. That way, every frame will be displayed with no frame skipping (much more fluid), but the game wont run at max speed. Your choice.

I've explained most of the options of SSF on my page:
SSF Tribute Neo

OP
Lord Darkstorm

Lord Darkstorm

Alpha R3's out. A shedload of graphical updates, as well as a rather handy feature that helps you optimise ssf for speed or compatibility.

Chazam

Alpha R3's out. A shedload of graphical updates, as well as a rather handy feature that helps you optimise ssf for speed or compatibility.

Thanks for the heads up Lord Darkstorm.

NiGHTS used to have quite a lot of slowdown on the previous versions but now I's running smooth a silk on my little Centrino Duo 1.6GHz.
The only problem with NiGHTS now is the sound isn't steady but at least it's playable.

OP
Lord Darkstorm

Lord Darkstorm

No problem. SSF has really improved in pretty much every way. A few months ago, ssf finally cracked the odd artifacts in the dialogue of the Shining Force 3 games, which had been bugging me for years. ^_^

Alpha R4's out.