What's new

SSF 0.08 released

deathace

How come games run a little too fast (faster than they should be) when I enable vsync? Is there any way to make it run normal speed with vsync on?

Borisz

How come games run a little too fast (faster than they should be) when I enable vsync? Is there any way to make it run normal speed with vsync on?

because
1) you run a PAL game (50hz natively), vsync will force 60 hz, making the game run too fast.
2) your monitor is set to above 60 monitor refresh rate, SSF will use whatever refresh rate your monitor is set to, so you may be force at 75hz or so if thats your desktop refresh rate. Either use a refreh locker app, or enable Scanline Base Timing. a refresh locker may introduce problems at switching to fullscreen mode, and Scanline Base Timing wont do instant adjustment - but it will limit PAL games to 50hz as well.

And ya Core 2 anything should run ssf at max speeds no matter what. Videocard doesnt really matter as long as it doesnt bottlenecks your system badly (ex. Geforce 4 mx).

deathace

Do I have to enable something in the options for the music to be properly mixed in Nights? I noticed the music was always the same everytime I play a level, no mixing at all like the real saturn.

Borisz

afaik the music mixing is dependant on the A-Life crap in Nights. Maybe you just didnt play it enough for it to kick in. I don't remember ever hearing alternate mixes when I played it on my original Saturn.

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
Another question:
is there any way to enter cheat code to ssf???

Try using the tool at: www.artmoney.ru

It's universal (works on just about any game emulated or otherwise). And there is a freeware version. Maybe sometime in the future cheats will be supported by SSF but I don't think that time is now.

is there any resolution function in ssf ????

Should have been but: no. Too bad too. I have trouble with large resolutions. My cornea burn. XD

Last edited:

Kineticboy2001

0.08 doesn't work for me at all. I've been playing on .07 till I realized there was a new version but it wont even let me get into the emulator itself. I load the .exe for .08 and it stops right away and gives me a little window that says:

IDirect3D9::CreateDevice() error.
File : ./Main.cpp
Line : 6146
Function: _Initialize_DirectGraphics

If I exit out of it or press OK then it shuts down the whole emulator. Specifically I've been using 0.07 Beta R3 and I'm trying to use 0.08 Alpha R8. My computer probably just isn't good enough and I should stick with 0.07 but any help would be appreciated. :)

Kineticboy2001

Hmm... no, it says the same thing and just recreates the .ini file.

EDIT: Well, I found that 0.08 R6 works for what I'm trying to do so I'll use that, but I eventually want to move onto R8. I still want to know what went wrong though, when anyone seems to get around to it.

Last edited:
OP
Lord Darkstorm

Lord Darkstorm

Great sage, equal of heaven
It looks like with the latest version, R9i, an error that gives the message containing "Direct3D9::CreateDevice()" was fixed. Dunno if that was the same error as the one you were getting, but you might want to give it a go.

My own controller woes are finished. I got a psx -> pc usb device, and picked up one of those street fighter 2 pads which has 6 front buttons. Cheers to borisz for the initial idea. ^_^

Last edited:

Borisz

please anyone can ask to the developer of ssf to add compatibility with resolutions > of 640x480?

Can't you understand that it would make games look worse? If you want them to look better, use a TVout display. It'll look the same as the original console that way.

LCountach

Hello to all EMU and SEGA fans. I must say I love the fact that there is a good working Saturn emulator. I never could afford a real Saturn back in the day. Today the games are readily available on ebay and with a good PC and Emulator this library of games is finally open to me.

I really only have one further wish for this emulator. Higher resolution support. PCs these days are becoming powerful enough to finally emulate the Massively complex Saturn. Why not use the advantages of our hardware to improve the graphics?

I know others have posted here expressing they wanted resolution options. These people were responded to in quite an unfriendly nature. These replies compelled me to register and post here.

Question: is there any resolution function in ssf ????
Reply: No. If you can't find something within the emulator, that something usually isn't there.
Come On! SSF is a complicated software to configure for any new user. Many Emulators are. Sometimes options can be set that aren't mentioned in the GUI or readme. Example: editing a .CFG or .INI can many times offer users advanced options.

Question: please anyone can ask to the developer of ssf to add compatibility with resolutions > of 640x480?
Reply #1 That would look terrible.
Reply #2 Can't you understand that it would make games look worse? If you want them to look better, use a TVout display. It'll look the same as the original console that way.
Sorry but NO I can't understand why it would make games look worse. Without question higher resolutions ABSOLUTELY WILL improve the graphics! Just look at GiriGiri/Cassini & Satourne. They both offer resolution options. Polygons infinitely scale in clarity with higher resolutions. However it is possible a strictly 2D game may not improve because their sprites are already displayed at full resolution. Even still emulators for NES, SNES, Genesis, Ect. have offered higher resolutions and image enhancing filters. Would dozens of emulator programmers include a resolution option just to make games Ugly? Yes I understand TV Out would recreate the "Original" experience. I respect that fact is Very important to many enthusiasts. However there are others like me that think the graphics can be improved.

Perhaps I don't understand. Perhaps there is a good reason "That would look terrible." If so please explain why in a professional manner. I am not being sarcastic. I genuinely like to learn new things. Especially about video games.

Show just a little respect to your fellow enthusiasts and our communities will grow. In that spirit let me apologize if I have offended anyone with this post. It is just sometimes we need our eyes opened.

Borisz

You are talking about rendering polygons in high resolutions, problem is, the saturn cant draw polygons. It draws Quads. You can't draw quads with todays 3d hardware, the closest you can do is drawing a quad with 2 polygons... which looks terrible and introduces a lot of disortions. And it completely screws up every 2d game, one of the strongest points of the saturn.

Seriously I can't name one game that runs without graphical problems in either girigiri or especially satourne. That's how reliable that method is.