What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Macphisto's hi-res Banjo-Kazooie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rueckkoppler

Hey macphisto! Are you still there? Last post from you is now around 4 years old, but now I started playing Banjo Kazooie again, THE game of my childhood. I'm using your most recent texturepack (on the first page of this thead) and I'm wondering, if you're still working on this. Especially after the disappointment of Nuts&Bolts I would love to play this game with enhanced graphics and your project seems to become a great thing (well, it already is). Hope there's something more to come, please keep it up!

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
His last login was May 21st, 2007 22:22, so I don't think he is still working or does still check this board.
But I agree, it's a shame, really!

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
There was a pack released by dmao (Last Activity: April 14th, 2009 00:23), but the download link won't work anymore.
Chaos447 (Last Activity: December 16th, 2008 21:24) worked on a Cel shading pack, but never finished nor released a pack. 4real (Last Activity: November 8th, 2007 22:28) also started one, but didn't released anything, too.
V-Kings (Last Activity: March 18th, 2008 16:11) pack is still available here. The_nameless (Last Activity: December 1st, 2006 15:32) released a Cel shading pack here.
The best start to start is the texture dump by Rice. You can get it here.
Hope it was an interesting tour trough all existing Banjo Retextures.

blooped out

Well, I can tell you that the project might not be dead, but it was (and is) a tall order to undertake as a one man project. There are thousands of textures in the game, and most were done in a lazy manner. BTW, I'm the founder of this project. I'd almost completely forgotten about it, and I even signed up again on the site with this new account forgetting my original password. You may have seen a few peices of artwork I submitted in the Ocarina of Time HD community project of the three Poe Sister paintings that hang in the Forest Temple. Since I last posted on this project, my knowledge of software like Photoshop and Illustrator has improved vastly. I never produced anything by hand (hand drawn) and if I were to go back to it now, I'd probably disgard half the textures for not being up to a standard. The thing is, I know I could get the game looking fantastic, but the amount of time required to do that for the entire game is far too great. A game like Banjo requires a dozen or more people working on it. There are a lot of hand drawn textures which can be completely redone from scratch, but that requires capable artists to give up their time to do that, and redrawing each texture takes a lot of time. I wouldn't mind re-mastering a level in the game, like the haunted house for example, in the kind of HD textures found in the Zelda community project, just to see how well I could get it looking. I'll be building a new PC in the coming months, so maybe then.

Edit - just had a quick scan through some of the images I left in this thread. It actually looks better than what I remembered in some cases, and poor in others. For example, some of the textures that could only be re-done by hand painting were just touched up with one of the filters and sharpened and don't look near as well as they could do. The pumpkin faces on the walls in Gruntys castle for example. I also couln't do what I wanted to do with the icons on the screen. They too needed hand drawn, but I never had the proper means or knowledge at the time (mouse only).

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

@MasterPhW: Thanks for this nice summary of all those projects!

@blooped out: So it's you, "the" macphisto? Sounds great what you're telling us! Well, I guess a lot people would like to donate for such a project, because those games are timeless and will be played again and again... People like you could make this thing better than the XBLA-versions and actually also Nuts and Bolts, by reviving those games with a great look! I'm still impressed :)

JimNastics

I check this thread about once every 6 months just to see if Macphisto ever resurfaced, and finally he has!! I love the work you did on this pack, on what is still my favourite game of all time. As I creep towards the big 3-0, BK still seems ageless to me. I look forward to whatever work you choose do on it in future, if the time comes :)

jim0_0

I hope you do take another stab at this project macphisto, even if you only complete a single stage. Maybe then you can come back 4 years later and do another one! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.