What's new

Diddy Kong Racing

Lazureus

There's some minor issues I'd like to report with DKR, which I wonder if there's already known issues about this already being looked into or not. All of these happen in Project64 1.6

In General
------------
- I crash randomly out of the blue with an SP DMA Read error

Jabo's Plugin (3D8 1.6)
---------------
+ This plugin renders the 3D aspects perfectly
- I don't mind pixellation of HUD sprites and menu text, but in Jabo's the pixellation is not adhering to any proper aspect ratio and appears distorted in most resolutions. The one bigging me the most especially is the icon sprite for what Balloon item you currently have displayed in the lower left corner during a race. If there's gonna be pixellation, it bugs me when it's not evened out. I tried every resolution and at least something is really distorted. Even in 320x240, the resolution N64 games natively render at.
- Enabling texture filter and 2xSAI only blurs the pixellated textures, and the pixel distortion still occurs.

Rice's Plugin (6.1.1 Beta 10)
--------------
+ Pixellation of HUD/menu/balloon items are handled much better than Jabo's, and look perfectly aligned to the aspect ratio. At least, this is the case in 640x480 resolution.
- 3D objects, especially the "NPCs" like Genie and the bosses of the various areas, have a problem where there seems to be no shading on them at all. The Genie just looks like a solid blue object and you can hardly even tell he has a trunk at some angles cuz he's casting no shadows on himself like he's supposed to be. He's just a bright glowing blue elephant.
- When viewing the balloon-number labelled doors from a distance in the overworld (the entrances to the various areas and domains), a backwards "EXIT" appears on the door, instead of the proper graphics with the numbered balloon. When getting close to the doors it goes away.
- A few other things, I have to test for them.

I like using Rice's plugin better because if anything bugs me a lot, it's distorted pixellation. I'll provide screenshots of what I'm talking about later.

Specs:
P4 2.6Ghz
512mb RAM
128mb ATI Radeon 9600 pro
SoundMAX onboard audio

Last edited: