What's new

The only Linux N64 emulator?

Daniel15

I was just wondering, is Mupen64 the only available Nintendo 64 emulator for Linux? I'm just wondering because I recently got a laptop and installed Linux on it :) :linux:

--Daniel15

Clements

I believe that Mupen64 is the only N64 emulator for Linux that can support commercial games. There are others (Fake64 and TrueReality) but these to my knowledge do not support commercial games and have been discontinued.

Sri Narayan

mupen64 is the only native n64 emu for linux.
but you can try wine with 1964,appolo and uhle ( I used them before mupen).
don't expect good performance.

ciu

GarulfoLinux

yes, for the moment, Mupen64 is the only N64 emulator that can support commercial games but Open64 will be soon available ;)

GarulfoLinux

For Open64, i am the author of Open64 with MisterCarrot. :)
Open64 currently provides many things and should have a release soon.
the list is long ... ;)

BHSPitMonkey

Open64

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the name Open64 has already been taken in the Linux world... it's even a SF.net project. You should probably brainstorm up another name...

Gladiac0190

For Open64, i am the author of Open64 with MisterCarrot. :)
Open64 currently provides many things and should have a release soon.
the list is long ... ;)

Very nice! :) Any beta-testers needed? I am an expreienced linux/unix guy using debian sid as the main os at home and administrating some servers on openbsd and debian sarge/woody.

GarulfoLinux

hello Gladiac :) .

if you want, yes of course! ;)
We have already a beta-tester but two is better :) .
I'm sure that MisterCarrot will be glad.

Contact me or MisterCarrot for more information.

++

jeffc313

++

I would also be honoured to beta test. please email me
jeff[dot]crowell[at]gmail[dot]com

tomplast

++

If I may I also would like to participate as a beta tester :). My email is tomplast[at]gmail[dot]com

benplaut

I'd also be interested in beta testing, for the Arch Linux community :zorro:
bplaut at gmail, i'm also on an benplaut on #archlinux@freenode, and #openbox@oftc

GarulfoLinux

Open64

i research mainly a team of beta-tester and other programmer. For information Open64 will be available to Windows, GNU/Linux and FreeBSD systems. it will have a automatic control for plugin selection and mainly a best emulation for some games compared to others emulator. those three features are examples that Open64 will contain. but there are even more things !

It's a surprise ... lol ^^

dtm

Here's a message from the author claiming that Open64 is dead, that it's not dead, and that you should read a page about another completely unrelated topic.

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=39839

So I think it's safe to say that they were well intentioned, but don't know the difference between a finished product and vaporware. It seems that they don't know that they set themselves up to fail with a project that was 1000 times more complex than they realized (reinventing the wheel, and doing it better than some of the most talented hackers who've already worked for years). I don't mean any offense, and I hope that this helps someone.

That seems to be a plague in the emulation community above the 16-bit level. They preannounce enormously complex projects which are to be made by volunteers, they generate endless hype, they browbeat everyone that they get excited, they pretend to cope with the mounting self-made stress by continually citing difficulties and excuses and sometimes (not in this case) alternately claiming that the whole thing was never intended to be finished and was just a personal toy or that it's impossible altogether, while at the same time stringing people along that it'll get done.

In reality, there was no need to fabricate a sinister cycle; they just overestimated their motivation, the scope of the project, and their obsessively perfectionistic (all-or-nothing) tendencies.

Why create and perpetuate this cycle?

*All* they needed to do, the whole time, was simply release their work in whatever state it was in (make a project on sf.net), ignore any naysayers, get some basic project management skills, and be honest with themselves. Possibly even just collaborate with someone else like Mupen64, rather than reinventing the wheel. Anything else is just abusive to everyone, especially themselves. You're setting yourselves up to fail. Sometimes (not in this case) it's abusive to the community that supported and motivated them the whole time.

I love you guys for trying and good luck in the future!

Last edited: