What's new

Internet Explorer 7 VS Mozilla Firefox Beta 2.0

Smiff

Emutalk Member
can anyone tell me if any of the mem leaks are fixed since 1.5x yet? thats the only thing i really want to update for (dont tell me its my extensions please etc, it isnt).
ive been restarting firefox several times a day, which gets old, forever, and even when its fresh, its so slow on some pages forward/back (vs Opera say).

Talas

Son of the Sky
Smiff said:
can anyone tell me if any of the mem leaks are fixed since 1.5x yet? thats the only thing i really want to update for (dont tell me its my extensions please etc, it isnt).
ive been restarting firefox several times a day, which gets old, forever, and even when its fresh, its so slow on some pages forward/back (vs Opera say).

Never had those problems but I guess there are others who did.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/memusage.html

this answered some questions... like, i'll probably have to wait for firefox 3 to fix my bug(s).

btw, if i sound bitter, i don't not appreciate the free browser, it's just the constant hyprocracy of "firefox is fast" from many places vs the extreme slowness i regularly feel in my use of it. i think their team have lost their way somewhat. btw i have a GB of RAM now - and all that means is i can go slightly longer between browser restarts.

Last edited:
OP
SlimickGamer

SlimickGamer

Stoic
Yeah maybe because that Firefox isn't much related to Windows plus it does go slow but how you change the skin like Windows Classic skin?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
SlimickGamer said:
Yeah maybe because that Firefox isn't much related to Windows
What??? You are not making any sense here!
And yes, Firefix does consume a lot of memory and some of it is not released. The longer you browse, the more you can see the page file drop down when closing it (not to mention all the released memory).

Smiff

Emutalk Member
it depends on usage patterns. clearly many people (and many of the important devs) are not affected. i'm not installing perl to run their leak checker, though i probably should try to figure it out..

euphoria

Emutalk Member
Guys, don't forget Opera! I mean firefox is nice and a hell lot better than IE, but i kinda wonder why Opera isn't that widely known.

Not a single spy/ad/malware since i switched to Opera (3-4 years ago). And sessions is a feature i can't live without. Ok firefox has it, but only as a plugin.

[End of promoting Opera]

OP
SlimickGamer

SlimickGamer

Stoic
Opera is gonna be a browser for Xbox 360's online compatibility. Plus Opera has the top performers for speed and it's very reliable in my opinion but if you compare to other features with other browsers with the current date Firefox 2.0 wins :bouncy:

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
IMHO Opera is a masterpiece of coding, and the best browser out of the box.
BUT: It doesn't have the huge extension support that Firefox has.
Opera is both the fastest browser and has the best track record on security. for people who don't need any particular firefox extensions, definitely have a good look at Opera.

http://secunia.com/product/10615/?task=statistics
holy cr*p. not a single security issue found in Opera9 yet?

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Probably due more to the fact that it is considered a minor player in the browser wars, Linux is the same - it is a minor os so it is not worth it for hackers to even put it in their centre of attention whereas windows and ie7 are the most popular and hackers will attack it with everything they've got poking it for weaknesses.

I won't use Opera because as far as I know it doesn't have a plugin that works as good as Adblock, I like viewing web pages ad-free.

OP
SlimickGamer

SlimickGamer

Stoic
Yeah I love Adblock it rules with all those annoying ads flashing and the one I most hate is the one with the "Oh my gosh, go away!". That's so annoying.
I wish Opera was in Wii and PS3....

Smiff

Emutalk Member
well i run all browsers through a proxy where the ads are filtered, so Adblock i just use for things like the large logo at the top of this forum. very embarrassing when someone looks over my shoulder and sees Mario et al. so um Adblock is one of the Firefox extensions i could do without.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
SlimickGamer said:
Yeah I love Adblock it rules with all those annoying ads flashing and the one I most hate is the one with the "Oh my gosh, go away!". That's so annoying.
I wish Opera was in Wii and PS3....
Dude, where have you been? Opera will be used in DS and probably in Wii too.

Stezo2k

S-2K
I'm liking Ffx 2.0 a lot myself, as soon as I can get all my plugins working with it i'm making it my default browser

1.5 is fine for me at the moment though