What's new

The Windows Vista Pre-RC1 (and above) thread

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Why would you want to use Windowblinds on Vista? The default skin is pure gold. Also vista uses 600mb for its pagefile for me but memory isn't much of a concern to me, i've got a rediculasly high amount. Opengl stuff is generally broken in Vista I have to say but for the most part DirectX games work swell.

Miretank

Lurking
Why would you want to use Windowblinds on Vista?
WB does not sums itself in Vista-Like Skins :p There are a lot of original and creative skins for it. :)
The default skin is pure gold.
Agreed.
Also vista uses 600mb for its pagefile for me but memory isn't much of a concern to me, i've got a rediculasly high amount
512MB here. ;/
Opengl stuff is generally broken in Vista I have to say but for the most part DirectX games work swell.
Cool, most emus runs in DX. But have you noticed if they get slower than when running it under XP?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I can't comment on CPU Usage on Vista, as it doesn't appear to be so much. But then again, I have a high-enc computer, so maybe I'm not the best to comment on this.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Most games that work on my copy of vista on this system including emulators run pretty much the same speed as they do on XP, on a lighter note - Simcity 4 works on vista, I read a compat report saying that it doesn't, even though I *hate* this game I like proving others wrong hehe.

*drew my name on the map in the game*

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
According to http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1968997,00.asp

World of warcraft runs on beta 2 so I don't see why it wouldn't on RC1 (which is what i'm using), would try it myself but that means I have to pay another 10 bucks for another month to test it out and i'm not made of money hehe.

Edit: Project64 tested, runs pretty fast no? *screenshot attached*

Last edited:
I have a questions about the program compatibility on Windows Vista:

How about older programs and games like Counter Strike 1.5, the old MS-DOS, Classic Windows Media Player, DOOM, Quake, etc....

EDIT: And does Internet Explorer 7 comes with Windows Vista?

Last edited:
OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
No idea, but if I were to take a guess probably not great - Vista is newer than XP and XP's compatibility with older dos based programmes is terrible. I can tell you that Sonic Adventure for PC works though.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Couldn't get FF8 PC to work on vista, but I got something just as good: epsxe 1.6 running the psx version of FF8 instead! Further proof this os can run emulators successfully.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
See the screenshots on page one post one, notice me playing "Legend of Zelda, the minish cap"?

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I don't have that game (nor its beta) so I couldn't tell you even if I wanted to, but if it doesn't work I will destroy you with my ION Cannon.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Well I secured RC1 (build 5600) from my usual sources. Since I am a beta tester for it I have a key, and am going to attempt to replace windows XP with Vista RC1 when i get home.

Also, yes, that is Spike Spiegel, and its from Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, the scene where he's fighting on the train.

yegosimo

Bug Killer
I would really love to try that OS but I can't because I have only 2 drives, both are busy: HD1 is my XP and HD2 is my dad's Server 2003...
Pity

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Hexidecimal said:
Well I secured RC1 (build 5600) from my usual sources. Since I am a beta tester for it I have a key, and am going to attempt to replace windows XP with Vista RC1 when i get home.
Unadvisable, Opengl support is incomplete (in fact barely non-existant) so do a new install and besides having XP there as a secondary/primary os however you look at it is useful, might be things I still need XP for, i.e. to play Prey.

There is two options, Upgrade and New install, you choose upgrade and XP is gone and you may or may not regret it. I personally love vista but you may not. New install allows you to keep XP but as a multi-boot os, recommend you put vista on a seperate partition though as vista likes to take the windows directory on the base of the partition it sits on.