What's new

The Windows Vista Pre-RC1 (and above) thread

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I know, but it doesn't recognize the microphone. Yes, it has a language bar.

You know? The Windows Genuine Software that tells you if your version of Windows is pirated or not?
It's still BETA and I'm using the key I recieved for public Beta 2, so no problems for me.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
SlimickGamer said:
Not to spam or anything but Doomulation just became Member of the Month
He isn't on my screen (yet), btw learn the edit button (Yes I know i've double posted as well in this thread but I really felt the need to seperate things - I try not to make a habit of it because it really annoys people).

Saying "Cool" in one post then another new post saying "doomulation just became" could easily fit on one post quite happily. Also it might be a better idea to attach your images to your posts via Emutalks "Manage Attachments" button because then we see a nice thumbnail and it doesn't stretch the width of your post and the page.

Back to Vista, I can't seem to find a suitable antivirus or firewall to go on it yet, been looking for one. Doomulation have you come accross any working ones?

Last edited:

legend of zelda

Just another Zelda fan
SlimickGamer said:
Not to spam or anything but Doomulation just became Member of the Month
I was member of the month once but they ripped me off, it was more like member of the day. I was all excited about it and shit and then i check back the next day and i wasn't it anymore. Pissed me off.

Oh yeah, and i believe there is a working antivirus/firewall suite that you can download for free, never tried it though and i don't remember the name.

Edit: It was that trend micro pc cillin.

Last edited:

legend of zelda

Just another Zelda fan
SlimickGamer said:
PC Cillin isn't as good in my opinion because I used it before and I got like 3 viruses in one week
Yeah, i've never heard of it before that and I didn't bother trying it I just assumed it was crap. Guess i was right.

But if you combine Microsoft and Trend Micro, it will create a lot of flaws plus some features of PC Cillin is stupid especially the "Internet Lock" which is pretty damn right misunderstandable.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
He's complaining about the new style back button? what's so difficult about that to grasp, its an arrow facing to the left and it goes back... durrr I wonder what that could do.
why isn't the first item in the current view always selected when I open a new folder
Because for one thing, that would be annoying and there is absolutely no need for the first item to be selected because the OS doesn't know what I want in the folder, saying this suggests that the first item is always what I want...
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
I agree, you are stupid, writer of article. I for one love the new GUI and I am probably far more knowledgable on this os to boot.

He complains about windows sidebar, when there are those I can see who would find that useful, you can turn it off so why is it such a big gripe? UAC is annoying yes but it is designed for the simplest of user, also can be turned off so no big deal. Windows Photo Import not working, oh golly... something not working in a release candidate (i.e. not finished) there's a major shocker.

About the only thing I can agree on in that article is the antivirus comment but again, vista is a new os... its foolish to think "everything works" immediately, its like believing that a casette tape will work in a dvd player.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Nah, is not like the guy is always making negative comments about Vista. In fact he is most critiziced for being too positive, and he writed the article because he already did a few commenting the good things, is always good to see the both sides.

But the fact that the back button issue is truth, if you look well, the back button is an arrow and is located in the upper-left part of the corner and the next button is located on the oposite, and is a text button. This could be indeed fixed very easily, if they want to, but it's just weird, the locations are simply not logical. So the guy has pointed to both good and bad things, so I think is good

Is just my two cents

Doomulation

More critics of Vista ;)
For some reason, it didn't want to Upgrade last time I tried to upgrade Vista. It probably won't do it this time either, but we'll see...
Vista doesn't seem to like the backspace button very much in explorer. Most of the time it does nothing, but it should jump up a folder level.
Windows Help (*.hlp files) are no longer supported! So says the help. Ooookay... but what if programs use it then, hm? It will not ship with Vista and programmers are prophited to ship it with their programs. It will be available for download at Microsoft, though. They do, however, include the 16-bit winhlp.exe. Go figure.

Btw, Heroes 3 seems to work flawlessly in Vista. That's good news.

Miretank

Lurking
Have been reading an article on a blog, that called a simple truth: Vista is full of inused things. That's why the ISO is so fucking big. As matter of fact, it uses a lot of old WinXP Freestyle's bitmaps, they'll barely be seen while using the OS.

ScottJC said:
He complains about windows sidebar, when there are those I can see who would find that useful, you can turn it off so why is it such a big gripe?
I don't find the sidebar useful, but it is beatiful. :)

Clements

Most OpenGL games worked for me (inc. Doom 3, Quake 4) with the 96.33 Forceware Vista beta drivers, but the framerate was noticeably less than XP.

Edit: Not sure about the state of ATi's Vista drivers though concerning OpenGL.

Last edited:

Doomulation

Ah, well, haven't been able to use those drivers since I'm not on RC1 yet. Though it seems OpenGL support is coming.

Doomulation

Hey, I just managed to make Speech Recognition work in Vista 5600 on the laptop! It is truly awesome! I wonder if there is a way to learn the computer (the thing that controls the speech recognition, as it is referred to by Vista) about my own commands? That would totally rock.

UPDATE:
Managed to upgrade my Desktop computer from build 5472 to 5600.
Speech recognition is cool on the Laptop, but sometimes it doesn't understand what I say. Guess I have to educate it a little more.
They also added all these stupid labels "ON" or "OFF" after each option. Very annoying. Remove that. Bastards.
On a side note, I can now hibernate fine with the Laptop with this build! Yay!
ATI Drivers for Vista is ca 70 MB :plain: Still no idea how OpenGL / DirectX performs on this ATI Card.

Last edited: