What's new

Sony Yaroze

sb iq

I've read up on the Sony Yaroze and I'm wondering, what makes it so special?

Is there anything in the package that cannot already be found on the internet these days?

If someone was extremely fortunate and owned one, would the Yaroze make hacking PSX games any simpler than just using a computer?

Quvack

In terms of 'hacking' the retail psx games the Net Yaroze probably isnt of as much use as using an emulator would be, unless you had the source/debug builds.

They were more aimed at allowing the user to develop & debug stuff with code they have access too, rather than modding an already released game, though I'm sure they'd have some kinda use for that too.

An emulator's debugger would probably be a whole lot more powerful/feature filled these days than compared to the Net Yaroze, as you have control over the entire 'system' and can step thru asm, etc.. while trying to do what you need.

ugh damn I rant :p

Exophase

Emulator Developer
I think there's a gameshark or other cheating device that can be used to debug PS1 games on an actual PS1, that'd be the way to go. I hear you can do a lot of things with it. The only PS1 emulator I knew of that had debugging was PSEmuPro which is of course very out of date, but I think pSX might have it too.

Cyberman

PCSX has debugging capability and pSX does as well.
I think I still have a debugger variant of PCSX floating around that is compiled. You have to recompile PCSX to support debugging basically. Apart from that you will need an IDE to use with it. Easier said than done. Unless you want to translate all that data you see from the debugger into useful information in your head while you debug a program :)

Cyb