What's new

Sega to Make New F-Zero Games!

blizz

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=2833

Nintendo and Sega both announced today via a press release on NCL's website that Sega will be developing not one, but TWO new F-Zero games. One will be for GameCube, and one will be for the new Triforce arcade hardware. The arcade version, tentitively titled F-Zero AC, will use Nintendo GameCube memory cards, interacting in some way with the home version.

damm how long until I can play this in MAME :p

flow``

flow``
my friend and i are hardcore f-zero fans [him more then me]. when i came home today he called me about it. lol

it sounds really good

also extreme g 3 sounds leet

OP
blizz

blizz

we have a new ad for it and some official press release stuff too :)

SEGA AND NINTENDO TEAM UP TO DEVELOP F-ZERO GAMES FOR THE ARCADE AND NINTENDO GAMECUBE

New Game System to Integrate F-ZERO Arcade and Console Entertainment March 28, 2002 - Tokyo, Japan – SEGA® Corporation and Nintendo Co., Ltd. today announced that the two companies have teamed up to develop “F-Zero (working title)” video game titles for the next-generation 3D-CG Triforce arcade board and the Nintendo GameCube™. As part of the agreement, SEGA and Nintendo will collaborate on the projects using a new game system that will enable the arcade and console games to interact via “Memory Card 59.” The announcement builds off the previously announced alliance between SEGA and Nintendo on February 18, 2002 to develop the Triforce arcade board and reinforces the companies’ strategies to integrate arcade and home console entertainment. Under the agreement, SEGA and Nintendo will co-develop two new video game titles - “F-ZERO AC (working title)” for the arcade and “F-ZERO GC (working title)” for Nintendo GameCube. AMUSEMENT VISION, LTD, a SEGA Studio, will develop the “F-ZERO” games under the supervision of Nintendo. “F-ZERO AC (working title)” will be published by SEGA and “F-ZERO GC (working title)” will be published by Nintendo. “F-ZERO” titles will be unveiled at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) and released in late 2002. The Triforce board and Nintendo GameCube are based on the same architecture, and they will be interfaced through the special peripheral, “Memory Card 59.” This joint project originated from AMUSEMENT VISION, which had a vision to create an arcade game that could interact with the Nintendo GameCube. SEGA and Nintendo have now come together to make this joint project a reality.

-- more --

About SEGA

SEGA® of America is the American arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA Corporation, a $3.5 billion corporation by market capitalization, recognized as a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. SEGA of America’s Web site is located at www.sega.com.

About Nintendo

As the worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co. Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its popular home video game systems. The systems include Game Boy®, Nintendo® 64, Game Boy® Advance and NINTENDO GAMECUBE™. Since the release of its first home video game system in 1983, Nintendo has sold more than 1.4 billion video games worldwide, creating enduring industry icons such as Mario™ and Donkey Kong® and launching such franchises as Zelda™ and Pokémon®. As a wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America, Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operation in the Western Hemisphere.

The official press release actually clarifies a few things and offers some new information. You know you want it.

In a nutshell, the press release explicitly states the following: The Triforce arcade game and GameCube game will link by using the Memory Card 59; Amusement Vision (who did the excellent Super Monkey Ball) will develop both games under Nintendo's supervision; Sega will publish the arcade game; Nintendo will publish the GameCube game; both games should be demonstrated at E3 and finally, Amusement Vision apparently initiated the game by their interest in making an arcade title that linked with the a home version.

from here:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=2841

OP
blizz

blizz

basically as I see it this shows part of Nintendo's plan,

Nintendo is ultimately limited by the number of dev teams it has and it really wants to push Zelda and Mario along for this year (It has to, no choice about it) that is why Rare got StarFox, that is why Metroid was done in the US, that is why SEGA have F-Zero,

Nintendo can't develop these all at the same time, and create new titles as well, so somethings have to be given to outside teams

and Nintendo have chosen very well from the looks of it.