What's new

Saving a game...

majax79

Hi there,

I'm a newbie. I've been playing zelda on jnes and I have a question. I tried, on the actual video game, to save my game. Zelda gave me three options: continue, save, and retry. I saved the game and then clicked the close button on jnes. When I opened jnes and zelda the next time, my game was gone. I've had this game running nonstop for 3 days and I want to shut my pc off. Any help would be great.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Make sure that the folder where the emulator tries to save is not read-only.

OP
M

majax79

I've only tried saving the game through the game itself and not the emulator. Could someone tell me how to save the game using jnes?

HappyGamer

Than You for your help.
I figured it out what happen and I think the mistake was made because I was playing in full screen where ther is no information given about what is going on inside the emulator like they have in other emulators. Like for example in the FCE emulator when you press one of the numer keys atop the key bord a list comes up displaying all the different slots you can save in or when you save a state in that emlator it says in red across the bottom of the screen you have saved in solt zero or something to that extent. So I know now I was playing this game in full screen mode and my fingers must of tapped one the number keys atop the keybord on the way to save the sate and I did not know this because I was playing in full screen mode which gives no info as to weather or not change anything so I was unaware that I had changed the slot untill I was playing another game to night and saw that some how I changed the stat beuase I was playing in window mode. Then when back to figure out how I did that and learned that it is by touching on of the number keys and then whent back to Startropics 2 and walla there was the game save under state 6 which I defiently must have pressed on the way to the F5 key. Thanks again for your help.

As for saving states in the jnes what you need to do is press F5 when ever and then F7 to load the game. You can do this at anytime you have the game playing through the emulator. THis really helps to get somewhere in some of these old NES games because without them progress would be tuff. For example say you are playing double dragon and you just knock the first bad guy down you can press F5 and save the game right at that point and that way when he gets back up and starts to wail on you, you can press F7 to load from when you knocked him down and see if you can knock him down again without loosing any hit points.

Last edited:
OP
M

majax79

So, if I close the emulator after saving, will my I be able to resume my game from the point at which I saved?

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Just a heads up I've updated the bug tracking thread based on some of the information in here

Vsync can cause major input lag (known issue for a while)
Status indicator in fullscreen (enhancement)

Tesla

Banned
What?

Well, I'm not sure, but i think that jnes uses the same folder for save games (battery save) and for save states (emulator saves). I don't have such problems with VirtuaNES.