What's new

Buffer Overrun Problem with Legend of Zelda OoT Hi Res Pack

legendarysock

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I recently found Federelli's beautiful hi res legend of zelda mod. I installed it by putting the hi res texture folder in the plugin folder and used Rice's Video Plugin (6.1.1 beta 10). I've got BMGlib.dll in the project64 main folder too. I'm using "Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (U) (V1.0) [!].v64" with the texture pack, but I'm having a few problems. When I press the start button however, Project64 slows down massively and then a few seconds later a message box pops up about Microsoft C++ Runtime Library saying that a Buffer Overrun occurred. This happens everytime I try to enter the start menu, so if you need a screenshot, don't hesitate to ask. My system is a compaq presario, with an AMD athlon 64 bit 3400+ CPU, 200 GB seagate hard drive, 512 mb of ram, and 128 mb of that goes to shared memory (adapter: SiS 760). If anyone knows a solution, please help. If you need any information, just ask. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Forgot sorry, I also tried the same plugins and the same game with Project64 with the same texture pack and I received the same error. Also, here is a picture of what happens when I press start:

errorun0.jpg

ANOTHER EDIT: I've been messing around with it and found some things out. No matter where I am in the game, if I press start with the hi res textures enabled, the above error appears. If I however turn off the textures, the menu will be available again. Then I can re-enable the textures and wham temporary fix. So ya, the textures is whats causing the problem.

Last edited:

tailslol

sorry but sys graphic cards are realy bad... it can be a driver prob... just try jabo plugs and dont try hi res pack... try to buy a new video card (ati nvidia) or a new pc if you want to play in hires or if it work try to lower the settingins it can stop the overrun but i dont think it will work.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I dare say that Rice's Video plugin (not even counting possible hi-res texture packs) is too much for your card to handle. The SiS line of chips are exceptionally poor, both performance-wise and feature-wise. Their driver support isn't something to write home about either.

Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin is probably the only plugin that will work without errors, but alas, there's no hi-res texture support. Then again, you might get Rice's Video plugin to work better if (a big if) you set the combiner type to something very basic (TNT cards maybe or then set it to 'fit your video card').

Last edited:

Perseus0384

I'm new to using forums so hope I did this right. I have somewhat of a solution to the buffer overrun problem. Buffers are used in coding to store data, in this case the hires textures. This has nothing to do with the video card and its most likely only using a fraction of the ram your computer has so that's probably not the problem.

1.) Go into the folder containing the textures
2.) Cut some of the textures that you either don't want or will not be used in your current and closely surrounding locations
Example: Bosses, and/or places you've already beat
3.) Paste the unused/unwanted textures in another folder outside of the plugins folder
4.) Run the game. If the problem still exists repeat with a few more textures.
Using only one place (Korkiri Forest textures) I was able to press start and so far play.

Perseus0384

Actually I got ALL of the textures from Djipi's Cell Zelda Mod to work at once.
1.) Install RiceVideo Plugin to path for emulator ex: "C:\...\1964_11\1964_11\bin\Release\" for 1964 or where ever contains the plugin folder for the emulator. It will find the folder and its exactly what I did to get it to work.
2.) Create a new folder name it "hires_texture" without the quotation marks
3.) The textures should be unzipped to the hires_texture folder
4.)Make sure no other folders are in there it should look like this when done
"...\plugin\hires_texture\THE LEGEND OF ZELDA\" then the folders for all the textures
Note: Try to use the RiceVideo plugin build 6.1.4 otherwise certain textures may not show up with the RiceVideo plugin build 6.1.3 - DX9

If this doesn't work I don't know what to tell you, this is exactly how I got it to work