What's new

NRage Input Plugin V2.00 BETA (an overhaul)

OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
Alright, I finished the manual. Please check through for spelling/readability problems or anything else that needs to be in there. Needs a table of contents, I know. It covers every issue I can remember, and a few others that I know will be asked.

Online edition

Downloadable

xorxif

Please pardon the noob question, but I get this when I try to click on Settings
in Project 64 1.6:

Failed to load plugin:
C:\Program Files\Project 64 1.6\Plugin\NRage_DInput8_V2_2.00.dll

Anyone know why it does that? Thanks for any help...

OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
Please pardon the noob question, but I get this when I try to click on Settings
in Project 64 1.6:

Failed to load plugin:
C:\Program Files\Project 64 1.6\Plugin\NRage_DInput8_V2_2.00.dll

Anyone know why it does that? Thanks for any help...

Sounds like your copy is corrupted. Download the plugin again from the front page, and replace that file. Also you might want to run a full disk scan in case your hard drive is starting to go bad.

xorxif

I guess I should have been more specific.

I'm running Windows 98SE, and I know 99% of the people in here are running XP. Does that make a difference?

I downloaded the plugin again, and it is exactly:
188,416 bytes

and has a CRC of:
3619b573

It will load:
NRage_DInput8_V2.dll
but keeps saying failed to load:
NRage_DInput8_V2_2.00.dll

I have installed the following four files into my main PJ64 directory:
msvcp71.dll
msvcr71.dll
BMGLib.dll
BMGLibPNG.dll

It allows the Rice Video Plugin 6.x to run and loads it fine.

So what am I missing here? Anyone else have the same problem?

OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
Interesting... in that case, I think I know what the problem might be. I'll get back to you in a few days with a possible fix. In the meantime, if you could download the Debug version, try to run it (it will still fail) and then post the contents of the NRage-Debug.txt file it would be very helpful, just in case I'm chasing shadows here.

xorxif

I did download the Debug version and it still gave me the same message, failed to load plugin. I wish I could give you an NRage-Debug.txt , but since it never loads the plugin and never allows me to use it, I don't think it will ever generate the text file.

Still, thanks for looking into the problem and I look forward to anything you can come up with.

OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
No, it will generate a text file as soon as a process attempts to attach to the DLL, immediately after the DLL allocates memory. So if there's not a debug text file there, it means that there's some bizarre problem allocating memory, and if there is a file then I need to see it.

xorxif

OK well heres exactly what I did:

I loaded up Project 64 v1.6
It is showing the ROM list.
Then I went to the options menu, and chose Settings.

Immediately when I do that, it pops up a window that has title:

ERROR

In the left side of the window is the red circle with a white X in the center,
and it says:

Failed to load plugin:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PROJECT 64 1.6\Plugin\Nrage_DInput8_V2_2.00_DEBUG.dll

(pardon the overindulgence of detail, I like to be as precise as I can without having to make a screenshot...)

It's still not generating a text file, and I looked in all folders under both Project 64 and 1964. I even did a search of the hard drive, no text file.

It should also be noted that I get the same error in 1964. The

Nrage_DInput8_V2.dll

that I have works just fine for both emulators, so I'm confused. Where is it supposed to generate the text file? Have you heard of anyone else running into the same problem? Thanks for looking into it.

Kruci

OK well heres exactly what I did:
Failed to load plugin:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PROJECT 64 1.6\Plugin\Nrage_DInput8_V2_2.00_DEBUG.dll
I have win98SE too, problem with Nrage_DInput8_V2_2.00 is with dll(system), I used dependency walker on this dll(becouse I have problem with RiceVideo, Glide64, until I found in FAQ, that I dont have dlls in emu directory, and plugins give same error as Nrage) to find, what dll is missing. Missing is no dll, but kernel function GetUserDefaultUILanguage.
If I did "hack" of dll, lame remove GetUserDefaultUILanguage function(overwrite call with nop and ovewrite string GetUserDefaultUILanguage with another name), no error message, but I dont now, if Nrage is working properly.

Result:
win98SE kernel dont have function GetUserDefaultUILanguage, whitch is needed to run properly NrageV2_2.00.

OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
It's one of the internationalization routines.... urgh. The sample code I borrowed from MS should have handled this, but I guess it doesn't.

Anyway, thanks for digging up the problem. Basically Win98, WinNT, and Win2k+ use different routines for getting the language locale. I need to dynamically link that function, and then it should fix the problem. I'm not sure why it was statically linked in the first place. Give me a day or two.

I've uploaded a new DEBUG version of the plugin, removing the dependence on GetUserDefaultUILanguage. Version number should be 2.00b. I know it still works under Win2k/XP but I'd like you to see if it works for Win98. If it does, please send me your debug log so I can make sure it is autodetecting the language properly, as the language detection code is still very different between Win98 and NT kernels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kruci

I've uploaded a new DEBUG version of the plugin Version number should be 2.00b.
I can set this plugin, but after setting and pushing OK,I get error message with same ? chars(unsupported langueage? unicode?), no output(no NRage-Debug.txt in emu folder), it look like the plugin is loaded, but if I try configure control plugin, so I must end emu with CTRL-ALT-DEL(no respose from emu). I get error same message, if I start emu with this plugin.

I do my "hack" of plugin before(as i wrote), but I dont test it, just I was satisfied that I didnt get message "Load plugin failed". My "hack" have same problem as debug version(except the error message is empty).

But I can read about, in plugin section:), this about give me a lot of ? after "... lang .. supp .. by RabidDeity" in both version, in normal version If I roll it(setting without giving OK), after seeing debug version about. If I just see about in normal version I get ?SQUARE_CHAR? on the end. The names of about window contain SQUARE_CHAR and ? in normal version, and ? in debug version.
If I see other working plugin about, so normal version about looks normal, no about window title, nothing weird on the end.

Above tested in pj64, 1964 give me 2 error windows after setting(giving OK), similar problems with about, same with input setting.

It looks that there are another problems with win98. Looks like Win98 are not worthy of Nragev2.0 plugin:)

OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
I can set this plugin, but after setting and pushing OK,I get error message with same ? chars(unsupported langueage? unicode?), no output(no NRage-Debug.txt in emu folder), it look like the plugin is loaded, but if I try configure control plugin, so I must end emu with CTRL-ALT-DEL(no respose from emu). I get error same message, if I start emu with this plugin.

I do my "hack" of plugin before(as i wrote), but I dont test it, just I was satisfied that I didnt get message "Load plugin failed". My "hack" have same problem as debug version(except the error message is empty).

But I can read about, in plugin section:), this about give me a lot of ? after "... lang .. supp .. by RabidDeity" in both version, in normal version If I roll it(setting without giving OK), after seeing debug version about. If I just see about in normal version I get ?SQUARE_CHAR? on the end. The names of about window contain SQUARE_CHAR and ? in normal version, and ? in debug version.
If I see other working plugin about, so normal version about looks normal, no about window title, nothing weird on the end.

Above tested in pj64, 1964 give me 2 error windows after setting(giving OK), similar problems with about, same with input setting.

It looks that there are another problems with win98. Looks like Win98 are not worthy of Nragev2.0 plugin:)

Just curious, but what language version of Windows are you using?

Alright, on your end, please make sure you have the latest version of Microsoft Layer for Unicode (it's a backwards compatibility file that lets Win9x run Unicode apps properly). Here's the link:
Download details: Platform Software Development Kit Redistributable: Microsoft Layer for Unicode on Windows 95, 98, and Me Systems, 1.1.3790.0

On my end, I've recompiled and made sure the Win98 Unicode wrapper is loading properly before (it wasn't). It should have crashed before, but didn't. Weird. Anyway, please download the latest debug version.

ryne

is anyone using a separate game controller with this plug-in? i'm having trouble finding settings that will make my ps2 controller's analog sticks be less sensitive. there's an extremely small gap between walking and running. i'd like it to be gradually spread out over the analog stick.

anyone have this issue, too? is it fixable?

OP
R

rabiddeity

Plugin Hacker
That's going to depend on how your ps2 controller driver handles calibration. Go into Control Panel->Game Controllers. Select your controller and click Properties. Now try moving the stick slightly. See how far you have to move the PS2 stick before the crosshair "pegs" on the edge of the square. Most likely it's nowhere near the edge of the PS2 stick's physical range of motion. Am I right?

ryne

exactly right. there is a calibrate button on it (using a mayflash pro 5 adapter), but i'm not sure if it is working.

btw, it takes only 1/2 the way for the peg to reach all the way across.

ryne

Yes, unless i did it wrong somehow.

It says "Twirl" all axis to the max range and then press a button.

Twirl as in, rotate the joysticks around in a 360 and hit a button while doing that? Or is it just saying push them over as far as you can, then hit a button? -_-