What's new

the big graphics card survey of Project64 users

Which graphics card do you mainly use with Project64?

• 3dfx Voodoo 1/2

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 3dfx Banshee

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3dfx Voodoo 3

Votes: 24 5.3%
  • 3dfx Voodoo 4/5

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • ATI Rage Pro

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • ATI Rage 128

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • ATI Radeon (any model of)

Votes: 50 11.1%
  • Intel (i740, i810, other)

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • Matrox G100/G200

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Matrox G400/G450/G550

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • NEC PowerVR Kyro 1/2

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • nVidia Riva128

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nVidia TNT 1/2

Votes: 45 10.0%
  • nVidia GeForce 1/2

Votes: 176 38.9%
  • nVidia GeForce 3/4

Votes: 76 16.8%
  • S3 Savage 2000/4

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Other (any card not listed here)

Votes: 13 2.9%
  • Don't know (I'm not exactly sure which card I have in my PC)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

sxxxe83

Trotterwatch said:

One reason I would never buy an ATI card - Drivers.

They have show time and time again they can't write drivers. Whilst Nvidias drivers may not be perfect, they are without doubt more reliable than their ATI equivalents.

Thats a good point, actually thats why I`m now using geforce, BUT.. Their 2D quality is not good, R 8500 has GREAT 2D quality and they are good on 3D, the card beats geforce3, and so on.. But geforce has the best driver team, nvidia, theres NO doubt about that...

sXe

vipor231

vooodoo 4 4500

im another one with a voodoo 4 card,i have 32mb on it,pj64 works great with it,the frame rates are 50-60fps on my 1.4 ghz athlon on windows 2000

Tesla-Guy

DOH my GeForce 3 doesn't seem to follow jabo's vplugin standard :| in some games, like cbfd, the floor is sometimes invidible and you can see what's underneath. ghey isn't it :sleepy:

Jubei

The Real Bouncer
Mine is a TNT2 and zelda:toot (that suposely uses 90% of the n64 resources) looks perfect. Besides, there will be excellent compatibility with GeForce 2, 3 and 4

crhylove

Banned
the price of geforce power....

is so low on www.pricewatch.com in all of it's derivatives that there is almost no point in anything else, imho. a geforce 3 ti 200 for about $100 is ALOT of pixel power for the $.

somebody set me straight if this is wrong.

I just wish there was a gfx plugin with more accurate 2d emulation so we could play dr. mario 64 and puzzle league... those are really good games.

i also wish there had been a sequel to mario 64, which imho is the greatest game ever and plays perfectly on about 6 diff emus i've tried. :yay!:

rhy

Jubei

The Real Bouncer
i have a Riva TNT, i like my card but i can not play the games well....

I think your problem is a processor issue, not a video card issue. The r4300 core is very resource intensive.

CyDEtrakD

ayo,
since this thread came up its obvious that most kats use geforce cards which is designed to run opengl faster than direct3d.. why not make a opengl plugin that is worth something. is it more complicated coding opengl than direct3d? personally when i run something in opengl there is a dramatic speed increase over direct3d in such games/emu as zinc, a ton of fps, psx emus, and hence i'm wondering why there isnt proper opengl support to my knowledge.

one,
cydetrakd

KahnAbyss

Maybe but think bout compatibilty for other people
they'll have to use glide wrapper wich means a lot of issues

if it was the inverse and the poll shows that most people uses another card than yours what you'll say?

CyDEtrakD

ayo,
i'm not sayin stop all support for the direct3d which seems to be used by kats without a geforce card but why not have a plugin that utilizes opengl which gives the majority of us better framerate and great graphics since thats what geforce cards are made for. take the poll on the general n64 emulation topic on this board if u agree with me.

one,
cydetrakd

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
CyDEtrakD said:
ayo,
i'm not sayin stop all support for the direct3d which seems to be used by kats without a geforce card but why not have a plugin that utilizes opengl which gives the majority of us better framerate and great graphics since thats what geforce cards are made for. take the poll on the general n64 emulation topic on this board if u agree with me.

one,
cydetrakd
There is already one. Icepir8's plugin. In tr64, it comes with the newest 1964. I dunno, but I think it was 0.8.3 it came with.

Tito13KFM

I voted Geforce 1/2 even though I have 2 boxes, and the older machine is a PII400 with a Riva128 Long live the king of all 2d/3d chipsets Riva128!!!!!

oh yeah.. it's the 4 meg version 2 baby..
/me dances.

(And to think, this piece of crap cost $200 when new)

CyDEtrakD

ayo

ayo,
i've owned a few ati cards ranging from the ati rage pro II with 2 megs of ram which was integrated with my ibm aptiva e84 to the ati all in wonder pro 8 meg.. to the 64 meg (i think) version of the all in wonder.. and the kats speakin the knowledge about ati being straight garbage with driver are on point.. not only that but the ati support team sucks.. i use to emai them all the time askin for help and they would take forever on answering my questions which in the end didnt fix anything. made me go out and cop another ati card.. well after the last all in wonder pro i'm NEVER EVER EVER going to get another ati card unless i decide to invest in a gamecube.. i'm using the almighty geforce 2 with 64 megs and have no problems and when i did nvidia already came out with a new revision of drivers by the time i had the problem and fixed it without any trouble. im about to invest in a gefore4 ti 4600 with 128 ddr ram.. for 200 bucks.. my local walmart has it for that price dont know how but its sounds too good to be true but a friend picked up one for that price gotta cop it while i can before someones see that they are selling it too low.

one,
cydetrakd

N-Rage

I dont know of ATI-Cards before the Radeon-Line, but I have now a R8500 workin in my Sys, and before that i had a RadeonDDR. To sum ALL my driver Problems up: On some older Driver-Versions EMBM dint work. No crashes or other weird stuff.

I had a TNT2 once and it gave me lotz more trouble than the ATI-Cards. I had to install different Drivers when i wanted to play DK2 and another Driver to play UT.

Dunno, maybe im just different ;P

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
the gf4 mx 420 is a good card, and to those who say its nothing but a gf2 i beg to differ. does the geforce2 have quincunx fsaa? does it have LMA II? does it have as high clock speeds? no. all that resulting in higher speed.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
This is true...
the mx-cards is yet very good with the geforce4, much better than 2 at least, so it's pretty good.

Although, you can get geforce3 ti at a decent price now, too.