What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Oh no! Not another Mario 64 project!!!

mode7

Mode7's Mario64 Project

Hi.

I'm new here, but i've been watching this forum for quite a while. I was really impressed to what extend it was possible to improve the look of N64 games, especially seeing djipi's or kman's work. So i wanted to try it too. I've never edited N64 textures and i've never done textures either, so i thought i'd better beginn with something easy to learn doing it.

What i wanted to do:

And thats the reason i did some Mario 64 retexturing. You could call it cell-shading, but thats not the approach i made. I wanted to find an more organic cartoon look that fits the original game and doesen't make it loke like something completely different. Of course time was also a factor, so the textures a kept quite simple since i did this in three days. I also wanted to redo the textures and not just apply a sharpen or texture filter in Photoshop, although most are still overpaints.

What is done?What will be done?:

So far the outside of the castle and the first hall are done. I also made a new skybox but it doesen't seem to tile that good, but this was also the case with the original one. I'm also thinking of replacing the trees, because the ones i use dont fit that good IMO. I haven't done any HUD or letters, because there are quite nice ones avaiable already - perhaps somebody would like to contribute?
Maybe i'll finish the castle interieur since there are not that much textures used. I don't know if i'll go for the whole game since I started this just for practice and this would take really a long time and i'm not sure if i have it. Perhaps somebody would like to help since this textures are not to hard to make.
I think i'll release a pack when the castle is completely done, maybe earlier if there's enough interest.

Update (Jun. 3rd 06)

I'm now able to release the first pack. The outside of the castle and the whole castle interior are done so far. Some minor textures aren't as well as a piece of the skybox I just discovered later.

Update (Mar. 12nd 08)

Bob-Ombs Battlefield is now done. I've done all major textures as well as sprites. Let me know if there are glitches or missing textures. I release this together with the first pack, since I can't tell them apart anymore and the first download has been lost.

Click here to Download(5,2 MB)

And some screens:

Update (Mar. 18nd 08)

Whomps's Fortress is done now (except the Skybox). Check it out!

Click here to Download(900 kb)

And some screens:

Last edited by a moderator:

klasa

I have to admit, this looks really good. And I hope you'll do the other levels as well...

Kerber2k

Actually this looks like the most original cell shaded project on emutalk. Insperational to say the least. I hope you continue working on this....it will produce enough interest no worries.

OP
mode7

mode7

BTW: Is there any way to change the colour of the hills before the castle? The texture is the one used for the bridge, so i think it's just inked by the game. Maybe a cheat could change it in the rom itself? Any ideas?

NintenDS

Seek 'n' Destroy
Question about this

mode7 said:
I haven't done any HUD or letters, because there are quite nice ones avaiable already - perhaps somebody would like to contribute?

Hey! I'm a good graphic drawer, maybe I'll send u some...

PM or Email?

Im Bored

lol@censors
I love the trees man! awesome. Love it.

Concerning hill colour; yeah, thats possible, and can be hacked and changed. Itd take a while (like, probably an hour for me to find the adresses and then ive still gotta patch the game) but er, let me know the RRGGBB value you want the hills to be and I can try and do it for you.

OP
mode7

mode7

Im Bored said:
I love the trees man! awesome. Love it.

Concerning hill colour; yeah, thats possible, and can be hacked and changed. Itd take a while (like, probably an hour for me to find the adresses and then ive still gotta patch the game) but er, let me know the RRGGBB value you want the hills to be and I can try and do it for you.

It would really be nice if that was possible. But it's no big deal if it doesn't works. So if it takes more time than it's woth, don't do it.
The value would be:
88B934

@NintendDS: I sent you a PM

Progress:
Progress has slowed down a bit since i lended my graphic tablet away and drawing by mouse is not my cup of tea. Hope i'll get it back this evening or tomorrow. I'm quite optimistic with the progress of the castle, since the same textures are used all over the place.
I'm sending a little before/after screen until then:

HiReZ92

On my behalf a very good job! The textures are amazing by far some of the best I have seen. I just have a few questions. In what category would you put the artwork of your textures; like cel shaded, cartoon or realistic or anything else I could not think of. And can I also ask how did you find the water texture in the outside map. I am doing work as well but there are so many water look a like textures, it is hard to find the one I want to redo. What was your method because I can tell it has worked for the best!

Congrats,
HiRez

OP
mode7

mode7

Thanks!

I would say the style is something between cell shaded and cartoon look. Really nothing to put in a category, i'm just trying to keep the original Mario 64 feel.

The water texture's name is SUPER MARIO 64#DFFBB688#0#2_all.png
BTW. Just tried one and it was the right.

Alex

Mollymutt

HiReZ92 said:
how did you find the water texture in the outside map. I am doing work as well but there are so many water look a like textures, it is hard to find the one I want to redo. What was your method because I can tell it has worked for the best!

Congrats,
HiRez
The easiest way to figure out which texture goes where is to number them, and the run the emu. The numbers show up, and then you can see how it all fits together.