Vista Beta 2 Public Today!

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
It seems that the public beta's are online:
http://www.msblog.org/?p=746

grab it whilst you can :p

x86 version

x64 version

you need a live! account to obtain the key, but I guess that won't be a problem for you guys ;)

it seems that the servers are a bit overwhelmed by requests so to obtain your key:

To get a Product Key:
-Head to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx
-Scroll down to Download Now
-Select your Country
-Sign in to Microsoft Live
-Receive up to two keys, each are good for one year and can be used on up to 10 different PC’s.

Last edited:

NoeOM

Mankind Member
What leads you to install a beta OS?

Considering we are downloading a whole operating system... you download it and then what?. I say, do you install a BETA over your stable OS? Do you part your disk and install both OSes?

I consider it too laborious and I never install a new operating system until it has been long tested and considered stable.

The question is. What leads you to install these betas? Are you looking for a long expected new feature or just want to try the new Windows look 'n feel?

Waiting to hear for your reasons!!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Now let's see if this is something to keep... one year. That is a lot of time I can have it installed, if I choose to...
I wonder if we'll get an extension when RC1 is ready, or if the previous time limit we got now will apply.
Btw... Like, 10 hours to download the x64 edition on DSL 768K, they say. Well, it will only take about 1.5h. Microsofts servers are fast.

apexad

NoeOM said:
Considering we are downloading a whole operating system... you download it and then what?. I say, do you install a BETA over your stable OS? Do you part your disk and install both OSes?

I consider it too laborious and I never install a new operating system until it has been long tested and considered stable.

The question is. What leads you to install these betas? Are you looking for a long expected new feature or just want to try the new Windows look 'n feel?

Mostly it is just to get the new look and feel of the new version of windows. I never would install this over or even onto the same harddrive as my current version of windows. Infact, in general it is better to install it ina VMWare session or something, so you can look at it, marvel at it, but it can nevr screw up your computer.

Doomulation

NoeOM said:

Well, of course... it is a new OS. Must test it. Oh, and I'll install it on another hard drive. I won't install over XP. XP will be the backup OS if something goes wrong. Although I suppose that it will expire long before I use it again, forcing me to reinstall it... stupid activation.
Yes, it's free, because it's beta. It'll end in one year. June 1st 2007 for me, at least. Then you need to purchase the real thing to continue using it. You might see it as a... teaser.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Doomulation said:
Now let's see if this is something to keep... one year. That is a lot of time I can have it installed, if I choose to...
I wonder if we'll get an extension when RC1 is ready, or if the previous time limit we got now will apply.
Btw... Like, 10 hours to download the x64 edition on DSL 768K, they say. Well, it will only take about 1.5h. Microsofts servers are fast.
thats fur'sure; I'm downloading at 4.9mb/sec on my companies line.

Fast indeed ^_^

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Installing the 32 bit version on my AMD XP320 Barton system. Screens in a bit. Grabbing the x64 version for my AMD 3700.

Miretank

Lurking
I won't download it. 3GB for a 5.1kb/sec transmission. It's not fair.
Their DVD, is it paid? Is it only avaible on US?

Doomulation

The DVD cost printing and shipping. To my knowledge, they ship worldwide. I could check, though.
Choose this option to have the Windows Vista Beta 2 and RC1 DVD kits sent to your home or office. This option requires payment to cover DVD production, shipping, and handling costs. (Cost will vary by country based on local taxes and delivery charges.) The Beta 2 DVD kit will be shipped soon after you place your order; the RC1 DVD kit will be sent to you when it is available later this year.

To start the order process, please select your country or region from the following list. When you order please try to use a shipping address that will not change for the next few months to ensure you will receive the RC1 shipment. (Shipping is only available to the countries and regions included in this list.)

Last edited:

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
You can get a copy mailed to you, and when RC1 comes out they send that too, i believe they ship outside the US as well.

Installed, all deviced installed okay with a little ASUS driver search. Tad slow due to the GeForce MX2 64mb in that system. AVG also will not install, DLL conflict. Other then that it runs pretty solidly. So far I like it.

Doomulation

Lucky you... it refuses to burn Vista correctly to a DVD. But when running it with WMWare, it loads fine, which indicates there is nothing wrong with the ISO.

And yes, they ship to every country in the list. As soon as RC1 is ready, they'll ship it too.

EDIT: Dammit, how do you burn this DVD? Even Deamon Tools can't mount it properly. But it works in WMWare... so... how...? Nero doesn't work... Alcohol doesn't work...
I tried two different computers... no workie... curses...
EDIT2: Okay, so it DOES boot, but I can't help but feel some files (or all) might be corrupted since setup.exe couldn't be "read" by Windows XP.
EDIT3: Does that mean it was corrupted a little when downloaded? If so, then no programs should be able to open it, isn't that so? Winiso and 7zip can only see the first file in the archive, also...

Last edited:

Clements

You might want to give the CRC32 or MD5 of the ISO so someone else who downloaded it can verify it.