What's new

Vista Beta 2 Public Today!

TerraPhantm

Toasty said:
Just finished downloading the thing for the third time and this time the image is corrupt. Microsoft seriously needs to embrace BitTorrent...
Just search for build 5384.4 on a torrent tracker. It'll work with the key that MS gave us since its the same build.

smcd

WhiteX said:
You still need to get the key from them, so...
So get the key in the email, follow the link and find the servers are too busy to download, and then grab the iso from a torrent site and use the emailed key from MS to install! :p

Toasty

Sony battery
Hey I finally got it. :happy: Nice, streamlined GUI. I'll try installing some stuff to try out compatibility and see just how ready it really is. :)

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Cool. Shame the files are so big though...

My broadband would be shagged if I attempted to download that! :p

smcd

OK I tried installing it into VMWare player and get some weird errors... might try the VMWare server beta sometime though I doubt it. It seems like such a headache to just preview buggy and slow software :p

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Aye, but I wonder if the problems that plauged me are simply bugs of the x64 version or Vista itself.
UPDATE: For all you who are having problems downloading from Microsoft's servers, you can get Vista from here, too: http://vistatorrent.com/
It's unofficial and it's bittorent, but the download is the real LEGITIMATE one downloaded from Microsoft's servers. You still need to go to Microsoft to get a product key.

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
The only problem I've experienced with the x64 version so far is that the media player was skipping - apparently due to the auto-defragmenting program hogging the hard drive. At least, every time I experienced skips, the auto-defragger was running and the hard drive was going nuts. (I'm assuming this issue probably isn't limited to the x64 version.) The GUI is nice, but in the end, I'm not really all that impressed with Vista. Even in XP I prefer the classic GUI. IMO, all Vista is is resource-hogging eye-candy. (700MB+ of RAM used with nothing but the OS running seems a little excessive to me.) If only Microsoft had plans to release DirectX 10 for XP...

Last edited:

Doomulation

Cannot - and will not - be.
DX10 was designed for Vista's new rendering engine and is one of the benefits of the OS... and it would surely be neede because of the resource hogging OS itself...

TerraPhantm

I'm hoping that it's taking so much memory because it's compiled in debugging mode. I'm guessing that if it wasn't compiled in debugging mode, it would use a few hundred megs less.

Doomulation

Are you kidding us? If it were compiled in debug mode, it wouldn't find on a DVD I bet. Of course it isn't debug mode. Do you know any software vandors that release software in debug mode? No, of course not. Debug builds are only for the developers themsevles.