What's new

i upgraded

BlueFalcon7

congrats, you spent $50 to get a GPU, thats a little better than the one you prevoiusly had, and you could have bought a 6600 or something and really seen a graphics boost. Im not criticising you, because the 5200 you prevoiusly had most likely had 128 onboard. But I was going to get a 7300 up from my 5200, because the 7300 has 512 onboard and its under $100. But then I realised that its actually inferior to the 6800, because the 7300 has less pixel pipelines, and it has less graphics processing power.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Yeah, even when I upgraded from an FX 5200 to a 6200, I'll be the first to admit it's only a little better. My reason for the upgrade was I made my 5200 pop by overcloking it too much.:p Stepping from a 5200 to a 5500 isn't really much.

OP
NES_player4LIFE

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
[BlueFalcon7 said:
congrats, you spent $50 to get a GPU, thats a little better than the one you prevoiusly had, and you could have bought a 6600 or something and really seen a graphics boost. Im not criticising you, because the 5200 you prevoiusly had most likely had 128 onboard. But I was going to get a 7300 up from my 5200, because the 7300 has 512 onboard and its under $100. But then I realised that its actually inferior to the 6800, because the 7300 has less pixel pipelines, and it has less graphics processing power.

my 5200 had 256mb and this one has 256 too

i'm working my way up to the newer models you know :evil:

i found it at wal-mart
they had the 70$ pci card (mine) and an 50$ apg card for my other pc

2 for the price of 1
i though it was a good deal

Clements

A meager 20MHz core OC is the single only difference between the cards. Could have overclocked your existing FX 5200 way past that with ease.

Clements

Rivatuner, Coolbits etc can overclock a card.

The 5500 is less than 8% faster than a FX 5200 with both at stock. The difference between the two would only be noticable in certain benchmarks.

How would the seller know if you have overclocked or not? The fact is they have no way to prove you did, and a 20MHz OC is not exactly a risk even on stock passive cooling.

I think you made a very poor decision and most people here with some sense would agree.

WhiteX

But not better than the FX 5200 you already had.

What is done is done, my friend, bear with it.

Flash

Technomage
Actually both 128M 5200 and 5500 are slower than GF3Ti200 64M, yes they have shaders 2.0 but who need shaders when you'll get 5-10 fps :)

Flash

Technomage
Clements said:
Rivatuner, Coolbits etc can overclock a card.

The 5500 is less than 8% faster than a FX 5200 with both at stock. The difference between the two would only be noticable in certain benchmarks.

5500 is 5200 overclocked, nothing more, just like MX440 is faster version of GF2

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I had a 5200 and I overclocked it more than 20 Mhz without fan and no problems.
Very bad choice indeed, the best value card for AGP IMO will be the Geforce 7600 GS that will be released soon.

Last edited:

BlueFalcon7

what I would recomend doing, is find a way to take back your 5500, and get a refund, and OC your 5200, speaking of which, I should do, mine seems a bit slow, I just dont want to hurt it... OR you could sell your 5200. Its got 256 onboard, so you can get a little out of it.

OP
NES_player4LIFE

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
well i'm going to have a few more pc's hooked up in my place so i guess
i'll have a good vid card in each 1
you know