What's new

i upgraded

GCFreak

OK, I'm gonna be honest, but a small 20MHz upgrade sucks ass. Find a way to get a refund, and buy something better or Overclock your 5200.

BlueFalcon7

Please tell us that this was a joke...

off topic: GCFreak, your back! where have you been? I thought you just gave up on emulation.

rcgamer

the old guy
Clements said:
Rivatuner, Coolbits etc can overclock a card.

The 5500 is less than 8% faster than a FX 5200 with both at stock. The difference between the two would only be noticable in certain benchmarks.

How would the seller know if you have overclocked or not? The fact is they have no way to prove you did, and a 20MHz OC is not exactly a risk even on stock passive cooling.

I think you made a very poor decision and most people here with some sense would agree.

what he said. hell, you could have saved the money and just flashed the 5200 to a 5500. thats what i did with mine then sold it on ebay. got a few extra bucks because i flashed(yes i told them it was flashed.).

yegosimo

Bug Killer
NES_player4LIFE said:
well it's better then yours
yeah .. i knew u guys were going to say that!
it's sad that the guy on the computer shop told me he couldn't install a better video card b/c this case is too small .. :(

OP
NES_player4LIFE

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
bump

so i finally bought a real card

pci geforce 8800
$20 at a clearance sale

just thought you all should be updated

my life is now complete
on this thead

i will let it die now

revl8er

That Damn Good
Nice to see a very old thread reopened, lol. Nice upgrade though if you did still have the 5500. I had to upgrade my processor recently as it died one me along with my MOBO so I went with a Phenom II Quad core for the hell of it.

Toasty

Sony battery
Well, this unresolved thread has really been nagging at me and stressing me out every day for the past three years. Glad to see the issue finally put to rest!

OP
NES_player4LIFE

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
ok, ok. So i finely said screw Geforce and Intel.

New Computer!!!

Hp pavilion DV6-6135dx

LED back-lit 1366x768
AMD quad core A8 3500 @ 1.50 Ghz
6GB ram (upgradable to 16GB)
1GB GDDR5 dual core HD 6750 & 6620 GPUs
128GB SSD harddisk :)
BluRay dvd
usb 3.0
HDMI out, for days i wish to play on the Bigger screen.
win7 64 bit

i won't be upgrading again any time soon so
eat your hearts out guys, and try not to drool on your key boards :p

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I have a Pavillion DV-7 series. The 6010EO model, with lower specs, of course. Really nice for a laptop, and having two GPUs that you can switch on the fly if you want. HP has really stepped up their laptop lineup.

Using 1600x900 natively, 17.3" I think.

Last edited:

revl8er

That Damn Good
ok, ok. So i finely said screw Geforce and Intel.

New Computer!!!

Hp pavilion DV6-6135dx

LED back-lit 1366x768
AMD quad core A8 3500 @ 1.50 Ghz
6GB ram (upgradable to 16GB)
1GB GDDR5 dual core HD 6750 & 6620 GPUs
128GB SSD harddisk :)
BluRay dvd
usb 3.0
HDMI out, for days i wish to play on the Bigger screen.
win7 64 bit

i won't be upgrading again any time soon so
eat your hearts out guys, and try not to drool on your key boards :p

Not too shabby though I'm not sure about having 2 different gfx cards in a system. Seems like it would make performance worse. I'm running an ASUS G51J laptop with an Intel i7-720QM processor with a Nvidia GTS 360m. Only problem I have with my laptop is the temps are a bit high which is normal for a gaming laptop.

Cyberman

You mean you won't be playing DVD's in your computer anymore? That's a nice idea to convert ones DVD into a HD bay. I wonder if one can add extra SD card slots there too? Cyb

OP
NES_player4LIFE

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
well as far a dvds I can buy a external Usb dvd case and make me bddvd drive portable, thus I have the best of both worlds.
So long as the device is the size of a laptop sata hdd it should fit.

My reason for doing this is that I don't wish to keep saving Temp files on my ssd.

I wish I could add the WD 1TB passport hdd, but the way WD built the usb right into the drive is a real bummer:(

Last edited:

Cyberman

With how competitive drive stuff has become and the allowing of companies to gobble up each other so carelessly it leads to some nasty consequences.

One of the nasty ones is that they tend to 'optimize' away things. It's cheaper to directly have the DSP in most drives connect to a USB 2.0+ port than to use a bridge IC to convert from SATA to USB (that's a few more IC's). Although USB technically treats it magically as a 'block' device it's still yet another translation layer. I don't know what the limitations of USB block devices are.

USB has some advantages but some of the weakest part of USB is not the drive support. It's sequential device support (thank MS for that).

As for temp files, are you planning on putting your swap and the like onto the HDD?

The SD card standard technically will work with OTP memory as well. If you make an image of your system data and image it onto an SD card, that would protect it from pretty much ANY kind of crap. :D

Of course upgrading and hot fixes would be very difficult.

Let me know how things go, I'm curious. I've had stuff with HD drives on them for a long time, they always fail eventually. I'm curious how long the SD system will last.

Cyb

OP
NES_player4LIFE

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
With how competitive drive stuff has become and the allowing of companies to gobble up each other so carelessly it leads to some nasty consequences.
yeah and most of the time they just degrade the items that they say are improved.
USB has some advantages but some of the weakest part of USB is not the drive support. It's sequential device support (thank MS for that).
ahh yes. {windows has determined that all drivers are up to date} So long as windows say it's up to date it must be true, what a joke. :)

As for temp files, are you planning on putting your swap and the like onto the HDD?
I don't need swap files as I have 16GB of ddr3. I plan to place folders like my downloads folder, texture editing folders, ext...
just to remove some read/wrights from my ssd.

The SD card standard technically will work with OTP memory as well. If you make an image of your system data and image it onto an SD card, that would protect it from pretty much ANY kind of crap. :D

Of course upgrading and hot fixes would be very difficult.

Let me know how things go, I'm curious. I've had stuff with HD drives on them for a long time, they always fail eventually. I'm curious how long the SD system will last.

I'm sorry this setup will be for a conventional hdd for now, but I would like to try the SD device out sometime.
Right now I need something that can handle the read and wrights of large file transfers without burning up my ssd. :)

Last edited: