What's new

i upgraded

Well, now that I've really taken this off-topic... yeah, undersigning wasn't intended for a forum post, especially when the name of the person sending the message is already there. Anyway, carry on. Feel free to delete the off-topic.

Elite Knighter

Meh post my pc specs as of now.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3
CPU: Intel i5 2500 3.3 / 3.7ghz Not K because I don't overclock.
Ram: Kingston HyperX 8GB DDr3 1066mhz
Hard Drives: 1 X 600GB Raptor and 1 X 3TB WD Green
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX560 Ti 448Cuda 1.2gb
CD Drives: Bluray 12x LG + LG 22x DVD Dual Layer
PSU: Corsair Gaming Series GS700
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 412 PWM Direct Touch 120mm Dual Fans at 1700rpm
Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Mid Size
Mouse: Logitech G500
Keyboard: Microsoft 600 Wired I <3 the big keys on it
Screen: Samsung S23A700D Won it in a comp :p Sexy 120hz
Mouse pad: Razer Fragged Speed edition Large

Had it for 4 months man this thing runs beastly :p.

Cyberman

SS so silly

OFF TOPIC: I've been "online" quite a bit longer than most and prior to the world wide web there was Usenet and nothing fancy (but lots of text) SS so it's an old habit from the days of Usenet. When Usenet was actually not filled with idiot spammers (bloody ingrates).

We also had tag-lines ( very funny ones many of which were horribly politically incorrect the sixth sense brought about lots of funny ones like "I see stupid people ..." ) that forum sigs are actually descendants of.

ON TOPIC: Has anyone used anything based the the Quadro 4000 core? I was looking at a card based on it because it supports OpenCL (not OpenRL but that probably isn't too hard to tweak).

Cyb

smcd

so it's an old habit from the days of Usenet. When Usenet was actually not filled with idiot spammers (bloody ingrates).

ON TOPIC: Has anyone used anything based the the Quadro 4000 core? I was looking at a card based on it because it supports OpenCL (not OpenRL but that probably isn't too hard to tweak).

Cyb

@ spamming idiots... I blame AOL

@ Quadro 4000, nah I don't need the precision offered by the "pro" cards, but the new-ish desktop cards from nvidia support OpenCL too.

Cyberman

@idiot spammers
Yeah AO<h><hel>L did a lot of damage to the internet.

I'm considering getting giganews because a lot of the 'bad apples' are gone from Usenet.
A lot of ISP's stopped carrying Usenet.
Granted I blame the gross arrogance and lack of protocol of most commercial enterprises for the disaster that has become the internet.

It's hilarious when someone talks about a web browser and assumes that is "the internet".

@topic
Here I thought someone would have a medium or high end quadro here. Ruddy heck. Well I need the precision for using tools such as Open FOAM.

I've been experimenting with FreeCAD as well.

Cyb

revl8er

That Damn Good
I assume you are running Win 7 with that?

Any issues with win7 and the SSD?

Do the games follow the new method of windows apps by storing game data in the <user> directory?

I noticed Oblivion followed that (and it was a godsend let me tell you).

Cyb

Yeah I'm running Windows 7 and have no issues whatsoever. Everything loads much faster than with my other hard drive. I have windows loaded on my first SSD drive and my games on steam installed on my 1TB storage drive. I then use steammover to move my most played games to my 2nd SSD to make loading times faster. As far as gamedata goes it's either saved in the my documents folder or in the steam folder on my storage drive.

revl8er

That Damn Good
I'm finally going to make a big upgrade after 2 years. Upgrading my cpu to an i5 3570k and my gpu to a 670 ftw edition. Should help me max out all the newer games coming out.

smcd

I'm finally going to make a big upgrade after 2 years. Upgrading my cpu to an i5 3570k and my gpu to a 670 ftw edition. Should help me max out all the newer games coming out.

That's a lot of video card :p What sort of PSU does that expect?

revl8er

That Damn Good
It says minimum of 500w, but with a quality 400w you should be fine. I personally use a 750w though, xD.

Flash

Technomage
750w for this machine ? with one 1Tb HDD ? :crazy:
I only switched to 700+ watts when i got Quadro 6000, it requires ~230w. Before that when i had GTS450 i used 460W PSU, with 6 HDDs in case.

revl8er

That Damn Good
750w for this machine ? with one 1Tb HDD ? :crazy:
I only switched to 700+ watts when i got Quadro 6000, it requires ~230w. Before that when i had GTS450 i used 460W PSU, with 6 HDDs in case.

I bought the PSU 2 years ago and got it at a good price. I also have 1 64gb SSD, 1 60gb SSD and the 1TB HD and also going to be adding another HD soon. Though I'll probably never need a 750w it was highly recommended and I just wanted a good PSU. Who knows maybe I'll add a 2nd GPU sometime.

OP
NES_player4LIFE

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Great systems!

Added this to my laptop. So now I have a 128SSD + 1TB HDD
Also I have found a program that allows a user to set some of there RAM as a TEMP drive location. Very usefull for keeping SSDs clean!

smcd

Heh, I too use that ramdrive program you linked to, for my Firefox temp files to avoid lots of crap writes on the laptop SSD :p

Flash

Technomage
Great systems!

Added this to my laptop. So now I have a 128SSD + 1TB HDD
Also I have found a program that allows a user to set some of there RAM as a TEMP drive location. Very usefull for keeping SSDs clean!
Yeah SSD + HDD is a good combo, but it's always better to keep only OS and some software that can be easily reinstalled on SSD and all important data on HDDs. It's quite easy with symlinks. Because if SSD fails at hardware level, in most cases it's impossible to recover anything.

OP
NES_player4LIFE

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
we'll have to see how this setup works, so far so good.

Another tool that I found is the EASEUS Partition master, it does almost everything you can think of to a HDD Partition without a reformat.

side note:
Emutalk is being a pain to post to these days.
tryed 3 times to reply but it seems to lockup.

Last edited:

smcd

For partitions I use gparted live cd and for disk imaging, clonezilla. Using clonezilla before upgrading the SSD firmware in case it nukes :)
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
http://clonezilla.org/

As far as hardware, I've been really tempted to get one of those 256GB Crucial M4 SSD, seen them as low as $180 USD.. if only they included a 3.5" adapter for that price!

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
As far as hardware, I've been really tempted to get one of those 256GB Crucial M4 SSD, seen them as low as $180 USD.. if only they included a 3.5" adapter for that price!
I have a Crucial M4 128GB and a OCZ Vertex 3 128GB and I find the Crucial is much better. You can grab SSD brackets for pretty cheap. I'm not sure where you're located but this is the one I purchased:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994072

Houses both SSDs nicely.

Last edited:

revl8er

That Damn Good

smcd

Yeah I saw that samsung 830 for 190 and am tempted to jump on it the next few hours lol.. I have a samsung 470 64gb and have had zero issues :) @ Malcom, thanks for the endorsement of the crucial m4, will keep them in mind!