What's new

Help

Crazy Nick

Could someone help me out, I downloaded the Dreamemu emulator and I have encoutered many problems. First, the Copy of Shenmue I have is in .CDI format. Plus the emulator shows no plugins for video.
Please help,
Crazy Nick

chooserslain051

What ISO really is?

Could you explain something about ISO, Agozer. I know most of
image file: ccd,cdi,nrg,bin,cue,mds,mdf,bwt... With due software,
one can create CD image from real Cd.For example, Nero builds *.nrg,
CDRwin builds *.bin,*.cue, BlindWrite builds *.bwt.....etc. But I can't
figure out which program will build *.iso. Dreamemu ask *.iso, but
how can we convert one image to *.iso?

And, "homebrew game" and "commercial game" concepts are still beyond
my comprehension. Look up in PC dictionaries, I haven't found those terms.

Thanks in advance. I'm using Chancast yet I still want to find out about
DreamEmu.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
ISO is a CD image format that adheres to the ISO 9660 filesystem. It is the most common and the simplest CD image format and most CD burning software should support it (Nero, DeepBurner, etc., etc.). You create and ISO image just as you would create any other CD image file. There are even programs that only specialize in creating ISO images from files and nothing more.

Commercial games: Games that you see on store shelves, copyrighted material. Commercially distributed retail games.

Homebrewn game: The word originates from the fact that these game aren't developed by "the big players" in the gaming industry. Homebrewn games are coded by just a few (or just one) people in their own homes in their own free time, and these people get no financial compensation from their efforts. Homebrewn games are not copyrighted per se, so it's perfectly legal to distribute them on the internet for example. Also called Public Domain games for this very reason.

Last edited:

chooserslain051

So I put it that Resident Evil 3,Resident Evil Code Veronica,Soul Calibur,
...etc are commercial, uh? Then could you tell me which games are homebrew, or in other way of speaking, playable under DreamEmu?

I found some game called Castle Vania Symphony of Destruction,
not playable under Chancast. It was said by some guy that this is
a "bootleg"???, hence cannot be played. Do you know about it?
It is homebrew, now I've got it. I like series Castle Vania, and this game sounds strange to me.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I can't really say which homebrewn games are playable in Dreamemu, because I don't have the slightest clue of said emulator's compatibility with homebrewn games (and I don't really play homebrewn games on any system for that matter). So I'm the wrong person to ask a question like that. :/ A simple Google search should provide you with enough of links to various homebrewn game repositories on the net.

Castlevania: Symphony of Destruction is a homebrewn game, and not a bootleg unless it's sold for profit and claimed to be a commercial game. It's a mod from another homebrewn game called Beats of Rage (a Final Fight -style game with characters from the King of Fighters series - various ports exist), but it has characters from the Castlevania games in it.

Last edited: